? For liberals: If taxes go up on rich, how will you feel about consequences?

Let's see if an accountant on here can explain it. We got a nonsense card in the mail saying that we may be eligible for a tax credit if our average salary is less than $25K. Not too many businesses in the construction trade here in NJ paying that little.

Will every employer be obligated to provide it? Let's start there.

What I do understand is that my taxes are going up next year. Increase. Under Obama. I'm tired of people trying to re-write the dictionary.

Let me make sure I understand this. Suppose a Republican--let's just pick someone at random and say Bobby Jindal--is President in 2014 when the health reform law goes into full effect. Now despite the fact that this law was written and passed by Democrats under Obama, since the provisions go into effect under someone else, President Jindal, you would consider the health reform law to be Jindal's reforms? You'll call it "JindalCare"?

I would assume I don't need to complete the analogy but I will anyway: the sunsetting of the 2001 tax cuts was a provision of the law written and passed by Congressional Republicans under President Bush. The fact that implementation is happening, by design, several years after they passed it doesn't change that. Unless you really think it does. In which case, hello JindalCare.

Let's see if an accountant on here can explain it. We got a nonsense card in the mail saying that we may be eligible for a tax credit if our average salary is less than $25K. Not too many businesses in the construction trade here in NJ paying that little.

You'll pay penalties if you have more than 50 full-time workers and any of them are drawing federal subsidies in the exchanges.

If you want to know about the tax credit for very small employers, look to the IRS.

What a genius this Obama guy is...the stimulus did nothing and they spent a fortune on it.We all would have been better off and it would have cost less if the President gave every working American a tax free check for $200k.Now the Libs want to stick it to the evil rich with the expiration of the tax cut for people making over $200k.Who are these evil rich people making over $200k.They are the driving force of this economy and it's those people that Obama wants to punish because they are mostly Republican,Conservative types.

The Bush tax cuts. If they expire, massive tax hikes on rich people and rich companies will ensue.

Liberals: If you are at work in January, for a wealthy company or wealthy boss, and you :clap2: the Bush cuts to expire as Obama wants, how will you feel if you get called into the office and told:

"Since Washington let the tax cuts expire, we can't afford the staff your division as is. 40% of you will be laid off. It will be a randomly selected group. You'll know within 2 weeks."

If you lose your job due to Obama allowing the companies and rich people to get their taxes hiked, how will you feel? Or, what if you come to work after watching MSNBC applaud Obama no longer allowing tax breaks for the rich, and find out your best friend at work got laid off, because it turns out the Bush tax cuts allowed enough capital for that company to expand your division 6 years ago and hire both of you, but now they cant afford you both and one has to go?????

Never forget, as much as you lefties hate the rich and hate corporations, they provide the jobs in this country. If you want a good paying, stable job, most likely it's gonna be working for a rich person or company. Thats reality, and I'm thankful for the rich who have employed me and don't want their taxes to go up, because the more money they send to Washington DC, the less money they send to their employees.

Linked below is an interesting article in the Washington Post, describing 5 myths about the Bush tax cuts. The article addresses many points made on this thread, and is pertinent to the OPs claim regarding the importance of keeping taxes low on "rich" people. I think this link is worth reading.

"According to the Congressional Budget Office and other authorities, extending all of the Bush tax cuts would have a small bang for the buck, the equivalent of a 10- to 40-cent increase in GDP for every dollar spent.

Why? As the CBO notes, most Bush tax cut dollars go to higher-income households, and these top earners don't spend as much of their income as lower earners. In fact, of 11 potential stimulus policies the CBO recently examined, an extension of all of the Bush tax cuts ties for lowest bang for the buck. (The CBO did not examine the high-income tax cuts separately, but the logic it used suggests that extending those cuts alone would have even less value.) The government could more effectively stimulate the economy by letting the high-income tax cuts expire and using the money for aid to the states, extensions of unemployment insurance benefits and tax credits favoring job creation. Dollar for dollar, each of these measures would have about three times the impact on GDP as continuing the Bush tax cuts."

washingtonpost.com

What a genius this Obama guy is...the stimulus did nothing and they spent a fortune on it.We all would have been better off and it would have cost less if the President gave every working American a tax free check for $200k.Now the Libs want to stick it to the evil rich with the expiration of the tax cut for people making over $200k.Who are these evil rich people making over $200k.They are the driving force of this economy and it's those people that Obama wants to punish because they are mostly Republican,Conservative types.

Almost half of the stimulus package was tax cuts. You're arguing against yourself.

Lying? Is this not Obama's economy?

The Bush tax cuts were designed, by the Republican party, to expire next year. If Bush and the Republicans are going to be 'credited' with passing them, then they have to be credited with ending them. It was their bill.

Businesses won't invest if we raise marginal rates a few percentage points on the wealthiest Americans?

Clinton did that in 1993. What happened then?

I pay about 3 to 4 times what the average person in my income range pays in federal income tax, simply because I don't have dependents, thanks to Bush's increases in child tax credits.

That hasn't stopped me from working.

You'll pay penalties if you have more than 50 full-time workers and any of them are drawing federal subsidies in the exchanges.

If you want to know about the tax credit for very small employers, look to the IRS.

Thank you greenbeard. I only understood half of it, but this article seems to contradict that. The IRS link says "$50,000", the card we received said "$25,000"

For example, by 2014, a Travelocity-like health care exchange system will be created for businesses with fewer than 100 employees to pool together and shop for affordable healthcare plans. Until then, companies with 10 or fewer employees earning less than an average of $25,000 will be eligible for a tax credit of 35 percent of health insurance costs. Companies with 11-25 employees with an average wage up to $50,000 are eligible for partial tax credits. Once the exchange is created, the tax credit will increase to 50 percent for the first two years coverage is purchased through the exchange and then the credit would end. While these tax credits are retroactive to January 1, 2010, it has not been determined how the credit will be claimed.

The Health Care Reform Bill Is Final… Now What? | Construction Legislative Week in Review | AGC - The Associated General Contractors of America

If the Bush tax cuts worked so well, why are we just coming out of a 2 year recession?
.....AND, if Bill Clinton's tax-increases had such a devastating-impact on our economy.....'cause those are the rates we'd be returning-TO....how is it that we came-outta the '90s experiencing THE GREATEST ECONOMY THIS COUNTRY HAD EVER EXPERIENCED????!!

:eusa_eh:

The Republicans have no intention of reducing spending and every intention of keeping taxes irresponsibly low and even lower if they could. The modern day massive deficits began with the fiscal insanity of Reagan,

and conservatives/Republicans can't stop talking about ressurrecting the Reagan policies.

Liberals have never seen a tax increase that they didn't like. The concept of "tax the crap out of the rich" seems to be their battle cry. Ok. Let's say we do that. When there are no more rich to tax, what then Tonto?

Thank you greenbeard. I only understood half of it, but this article seems to contradict that. The IRS link says "$50,000", the card we received said "$25,000"

For example, by 2014, a Travelocity-like health care exchange system will be created for businesses with fewer than 100 employees to pool together and shop for affordable healthcare plans. Until then, companies with 10 or fewer employees earning less than an average of $25,000 will be eligible for a tax credit of 35 percent of health insurance costs. Companies with 11-25 employees with an average wage up to $50,000 are eligible for partial tax credits. Once the exchange is created, the tax credit will increase to 50 percent for the first two years coverage is purchased through the exchange and then the credit would end. While these tax credits are retroactive to January 1, 2010, it has not been determined how the credit will be claimed.

The Health Care Reform Bill Is Final… Now What? | Construction Legislative Week in Review | AGC - The Associated General Contractors of America

The full value of the credit is available to businesses with average wages below $25,000. It starts decreasing as you go above that before phasing out completely at the $50,000 amount.

I've heard it said that trickle down economics doesn't always work.
How 'bout.....NEVER HAS WORKED???!!!!

"The central concept of supply-side economics is that tax cuts cause economic growth. Tax cuts allow entrepreneurs to invest their tax savings, which creates higher productivity, jobs and profits. This, ironically, allows the entrepreneur and his new workers to pay even more taxes, even at lower rates.

The supply-side idea is a simple one, and makes a popular political message. However, it is interesting to note that mainstream economists -- even conservative ones -- almost universally reject supply-side theory.

The man charged to make this all work was David Stockman, Reagan's budget director. But as early as August 1981, Stockman began having gnawing doubts about his budget. Computer simulations failed to project the tremendous growth he had predicted, and later he would admit to cooking the numbers, before selling the budget to Congress. That December, the Atlantic Monthly published an article in which Stockman made several damaging and embarrassing confessions about the entire supply-side philosophy. He admitted that the 1981 tax cut "was always a Trojan horse to bring down the top [tax] rate" for the wealthy. Cutting taxes for the rich had long ago been coined "trickle down economics" - and it was an unpopular concept with the middle class. "It's kind of hard to sell 'trickle down,'" Stockman told the interviewer. "So the supply-side formula was the only way to get a tax policy that was really 'trickle down.' Supply-side is 'trickle-down' theory."

The Bush tax cuts. If they expire, massive tax hikes on rich people and rich companies will ensue.

Liberals: If you are at work in January, for a wealthy company or wealthy boss, and you :clap2: the Bush cuts to expire as Obama wants, how will you feel if you get called into the office and told:

"Since Washington let the tax cuts expire, we can't afford the staff your division as is. 40% of you will be laid off. It will be a randomly selected group. You'll know within 2 weeks."

If you lose your job due to Obama allowing the companies and rich people to get their taxes hiked, how will you feel? Or, what if you come to work after watching MSNBC applaud Obama no longer allowing tax breaks for the rich, and find out your best friend at work got laid off, because it turns out the Bush tax cuts allowed enough capital for that company to expand your division 6 years ago and hire both of you, but now they cant afford you both and one has to go?????

Never forget, as much as you lefties hate the rich and hate corporations, they provide the jobs in this country. If you want a good paying, stable job, most likely it's gonna be working for a rich person or company. Thats reality, and I'm thankful for the rich who have employed me and don't want their taxes to go up, because the more money they send to Washington DC, the less money they send to their employees.

It's easy to figure out the Libs response to them losing their jobs because the Bush Tax cuts expired.......

They will BLAME Bush!!!!!

Yeah.....whatta "unique", "creative" Lib-strategy, huh? :rolleyes:

420242.65560.jpg

Companies make money off of employees. If they can arbitrarily lay them off out of spite, they were not cost effective anyway. If you can't make 100% profit off of what your employess produce, you will not be in business for long.

Also, the cost of employees salaries are a business expense and not taxed. What is taxed is Profit. Let the CEOs take smaller bonuses...if they don't like it let them go to Europe or Asia where CEOs make less money

I'm really sick of the term "Bush tax cuts". From this point forward I will refer to it as "Obama tax increases". It's his economy now.
Yeah.....how crafty. :rolleyes:

"The answer is that President Bush and a complicit Congress didn’t want to show the magnitude of the deficits that would result from their tax cuts. To hide those deficits as they were pushing them through they used a variety of accounting tricks. One of those tricks was attaching expiration dateshttp://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2009/12/bush_cuts_expire.html so that, on paper, there wouldn’t be any long-term costs."

Forum List

Back