For liberallogic: Bible Topics

Said1 said:
Pfffft. How close minded of you. :D
[Archie voice on]Well, Said... I don't know you very well... jeeez... well you'll have to talk to my husbnd...just remember I got here first! Enough said! [/voice]

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
mom4 said:
[Archie voice on]Well, Said... I don't know you very well... jeeez... well you'll have to talk to my husbnd...just remember I got here first! Enough said! [/voice]

Not....enough.....dots....good effort though.....I give you 7/10. Keep up the good work and good luck with your future endevours!

And I'm telling him you were making fun of him. He'd expect me, but you.......ne...v...er. Enough said (pun intended!).

mom4 said:
Thanks, Joz! That means a lot, coming from you!

I do have to disagree with this, though. I really think it means just what it says. That a husband will have SOME (NOT TOTAL) authority over his wife, and over his household.
You misunderstood me. I believe this to be true, too, but it also set it up for society.
This is just the way it worked out, as mankind became more and more sinful.
I don't think it was just by chance.

These are you own words.
mom4 said:
Yeeeeees..... to a certain extent. Just being careful to understand that she is not expected to subvert her entire personality, or mindlessly obey. Just that he has become the head of the household hierarchy........

Husbands are only to be "over their wife" the same way Christ is over the church. He is to be her spiritual leader. And love her to the point of giving his life for her. Too many get hung up on this text as tho't women are to be at the beck & call (girl) of a man's every wish, under his rule & thumb.

Joz said:
You misunderstood me. I believe this to be true, too, but it also set it up for society.

But husbands are only to be "over their wife" the same way Christ is over the church. He is to be her spiritual leader. And love her to the point of giving his life for her. Too many get hung up on this text as tho't women are to be at the beck & call (girl) of a man's every wish, under his rule & thumb.
True. The man definitely has a greater responsibility in the marriage than the woman. To love her as Christ loved the church...wow! That is a BIG job.

mom4 said:
....But through the ages, men have abused their authority and subjugated women WAAAAY more ....... He didn't turn around and say to Adam, "Okay, you're her master. Whatever you say she has to do." He didn't place Adam above her....

Mm is gonna get upset over this one, I know. He says he's tired of hearing that the white christian male is to blame for everything. Well who the h*ll does he think has been in control??? Well maybe not the christian part. But there are many christian hubbies who are quite adamant about these texts.

Because of men & their abuse of "power" women have had to claw their way for recognition as an equal partner.

Joz said:
Mm is gonna get upset over this one, I know. He says he's tired of hearing that the white christian male is to blame for everything. Well who the h*ll does he think has been in control??? Well maybe not the christian part. But there are many christian hubbies who are quite adamant about these texts.

Because of men & their abuse of "power" women have had to claw their way for recognition as an equal partner.
Yes, I agree. Although I think it has been taken way too far the other way by some women today.

mom4 said:
Yes, I agree. Although I think it has been taken way too far the other way by some women today.
I believe so, too. But the pendulum has to swing that far until it can find the right little groove in which it operates correctly.
But not until it does severe damage to the home, children & society. There's alot to be accountable for.

Said1 said:
Not....enough.....dots....good effort though.....I give you 7/10. Keep up the good work and good luck with your future endevours!

And I'm telling him you were making fun of him. He'd expect me, but you.......ne...v...er. Enough said (pun intended!).
I like Archie. He's quite a character! :D

mom4 said:
God is in control of when a human being is created.
I'm not so sure. Not to say that God isn't he giver of life, that's not what I'm saying. Anything man does/ can do, he will NEVER be acle to create life.
But, IMO, just because an egg & a sperm come together isn't always Divine.

This idea probably came from the dude who was in trouble for "spilling his seed on the ground" instead of inside the woman. (Dang, I can't remember that dude's name!) But that was a specific instance, in which this guy was responsible for impregnating this woman, so that she could have offspring to provide for her. He didn't want to impregnate her because the child wouldn't bear his name. It wasn't the wasting of the "seed" that was wrong, but the man's refusing to give the woman offspring to provide for her.

8 Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother's wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also.

Whole story \/

http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Genesis+38&version=31

Joz said:
I'm not so sure. Not to say that God isn't he giver of life, that's not what I'm saying. Anything man does/ can do, he will NEVER be acle to create life.
But, IMO, just because an egg & a sperm come together isn't always Divine.
But there are three parts that go into the creation of a human. Genes fom the sperm, genes from the egg, and a spirit. No person is an accident; God purposefully orchestrates the creation of every human being, from conception. No person comes into being without a spirit.
8 Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother's wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also.

Whole story \/

http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Genesis+38&version=31
Awesome! Thanks, Joz! :thup:

mom4 said:
But there are three parts that go into the creation of a human. Genes fom the sperm, genes from the egg, and a spirit. No person is an accident; God purposefully orchestrates the creation of every human being, from conception. No person comes into being without a spirit.
Please elaborate if you can.

I remembered this thread from a long time ago, and the fact that I forgot to address the slavery question raised by liberalogic. Here is a great link on the subject...

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/feedback/2007/0202.asp

Very good article...I appreciate people who actually try to argue this reasonably, which the article seemed do. Since I am not a biblical scholar, I don't really have the background to refute, but I really want to take a closer look at it myself in the future when I have the time...I just have so much damn work to do.

Forum List

Back