For Iraqis, Time To Co-Opt The Insurgents

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5305674/site/newsweek/
Reach Out to The Insurgents

What is the alternative to co-opting opponents? The occupation has, in the latest CPA poll, just 2 percent support among Iraqis

By Fareed Zakaria
NewsweekJuly 5 issue - There is some good news coming out of Iraq. The interim government has the support of a majority of Iraqis. The international community is getting more involved. Money for the reconstruction effort is moving faster. But all this will mean nothing if Iraq's central problem—a pervasive lack of security—remains unsolved. Unless this changes soon, positive trends will turn negative. The new government will be seen as ineffectual, reconstruction will remain halting, radical militias will gain ground and there will be no elections in January. This will end in either a low-level civil war or military rule, possibly both.

Ayad Allawi, Iraq's new prime minister, and Defense Minister Hazim Shaalan, have hinted at the possibility of imposing martial law. This is understandable, as long as it's temporary. (Syria has been in a state of emergency for 40 years.) But along with tough measures, Allawi will have to do something the United States could never bring itself to do: talk to the insurgents.

The Bush administration has never really understood the security problem in Iraq. To do so would require that it face up to its own mistakes. The original sin of American postwar policy remains the decision to go into Iraq with too few troops. A larger presence would have intimidated and thus deterred some of the opposition, and, in places like Najaf and Karbala, forestalled the rise of local militias.

But the second important mistake has been to discount the size of the insurgency and its local support. For many in the administration it was an article of faith that Iraqis would welcome the American occupation. So it was impossible for them to accept that ordinary Iraqis could be helping the guerrillas. That's why Donald Rumsfeld always dismissively referred to Iraqi militants as a bunch of "dead-enders." Administration officials objected to the use of terms like "insurgents," and claimed that most of the troublemakers were foreign terrorists.

As has happened so many times regarding Iraq, ideology clouded analysis. The best-equipped, best-trained army in the world has not been able to crush or even find the "dead-enders," whose operations have grown in size, skill and organization. Fourteen months after the fall of Baghdad, Iraq's main airport remains closed, the road from the airport to Baghdad is a free-fire zone, several other key routes linking the country are extremely dangerous, and attacks on infrastructure, civilians and troops are a daily occurrence.

"There is no doubt that the insurgents have local support," says Ahmed Hashim, a professor at the Naval War College who spent several months in Iraq last winter studying the insurgency while attached to the U.S. Army. "They melt into neighborhoods. People do not inform on them. These are all telltale signs of local support." Ha-shim says that the insurgency is made up of Baathists, Islamists, hard-core Iraqi nationalists and a significant number of foreign terrorists. "Even the foreigners have some tacit support from people," Hashim says. The glue holding them together, he argues, is nationalism and anti-Americanism.

The Iraqi mood might be changing, and this political shift provides the best opportunity the Coalition has to win this guerrilla war. The interim government has public support. The recent attacks appear to be unpopular. Sunni clerics and tribal leaders have denounced the violence, as have almost all political parties. Allawi should capitalize on this support by moving aggressively now.

The only successful strategy in dealing with insurgencies has been to separate them from their local support. That means offering political, social and economic bounties to those in the Sunni community who are tacitly backing—or at least not opposing—these attacks. This means co-opting clerics, tribal chiefs and former Army officers.

This strategy would isolate the most diehard Iraqis and foreign terrorists. And they would then have to operate within less-cooperative communities. Crushing this smaller group will remain tough, but counterinsurgency warfare will more likely succeed once the guerrillas have been isolated.

Some conservatives were apoplectic when U.S. forces made a deal with the insurgents in Fallujah. This strategy, they would argue, is Fallujah writ large. Actually, it's closer to the manner in which the Army handled the challenge from Moqtada al-Sadr in the south, using a mix of military strikes and bribes to wean away his support. Anyway, what is the alternative? The occupation, in the latest Coalition Provisional Authority poll, has 2 percent support among Iraqis. The CPA itself has inched up to 8 percent support. With those kinds of numbers, any harsh offensive operation by American troops is going to produce more insurgents than it kills. And for the foreseeable future, most counterinsurgency operations will remain largely American affairs.

The United States has made some strides in Iraq over the past month because it has reversed many of its most damaging policies. Prodded by the Iraqi government, it must now make this final reversal.

In my article on Saudi Arabia last week, I wrote that in a recent poll, the No. 1 issue on people's minds was corruption. In fact, it was unemployment. Corruption was No. 2, followed by "political reform."

© 2004 Newsweek, Inc.

Next time someone tells you the Iraqis feel they were better off, remind them of this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A3433-2004Jun24?language=printer

washingtonpost.com
Iraqis Back New Leaders, Poll Says

By Robin Wright
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 25, 2004; Page A19

A large majority of Iraqis say they have confidence in the new interim government of Prime Minister Ayad Allawi that is set to assume political power on Wednesday, according to a poll commissioned by U.S. officials in Iraq.

The results are a significant victory for the United States and the United Nations. Together they negotiated with squabbling Iraqi factions in an attempt to cobble together a viable government that balanced disparate ethnic and religious groups.

The first survey since the new government was announced by U.N. envoy Lakhdar Brahimi about three weeks ago showed that 68 percent of Iraqis have confidence in their new leaders. The numbers are in stark contrast to widespread disillusionment with the previous Iraqi Governing Council, which was made up of 25 members picked by the United States and which served as the Iraqi partner to the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority. Only 28 percent of Iraqis backed the council when it was dissolved last month, according to a similar poll in May.

The previous survey, by the same independent professional polling organization, also showed widespread anger at, or disapproval of, the U.S.-led coalition that has ruled Iraq since the ouster of President Saddam Hussein. The current poll is considered a welcome sign that the new government has not been tainted by association with the United States and may have at least a honeymoon period to prove itself, U.S. officials said.

There had been particular concern in Baghdad and Washington that Allawi's many years in exile before Hussein was ousted and his long-standing association with the CIA would undermine his credibility.

But 73 percent of Iraqis polled approved of Allawi to lead the new government, 84 percent approved of President Ghazi Yawar and almost two-thirds backed the new Cabinet. These impressive showings indicate that the new leaders have support spanning ethnic and religious groups, U.S. officials said.

"What comes across in the poll and what we've sensed for a while is that Iraqis remain open-minded about the new government," a senior coalition official in Baghdad said in an interview.

Four out of every five Iraqis expected that the new government will "make things better" for Iraq after the handover, with 10 percent expecting the situation to remain the same and 7 percent anticipating a decline, the poll shows.

U.S. officials are particularly encouraged because the poll showed high name recognition for the new leadership, in contrast with many members of the former council, U.S. officials said. More than 70 percent of Iraqis polled have heard or read a significant amount about the new leaders, who were named about three weeks ago.

"That's huge penetration -- and it happened quickly," said the coalition official, who asked for anonymity because of the rules on naming officials in Baghdad. "It's partly because Allawi is on all the Arab media every day talking about security. He's visiting sites, and there are constantly images of the prime minister tackling security, which is what Iraqis care most about right now. It resonates, and it comes across in these figures."

In a sign that Iraqis are more optimistic generally about their future after the occupation ends, two-thirds of Iraqis believed the first democratic elections for a new national assembly -- tentatively set for December or January -- will be free and fair, the survey shows.

Despite the growing number of attacks on Iraqi security forces, including several yesterday, public confidence in the new police and army has reached new highs, the poll shows. Seventy percent of Iraqis polled supported the new army, and 82 percent supported the police.

The poll was based on more than 1,000 face-to-face interviews conducted June 9-19 in six major cities that reflect the diverse communities -- Baghdad, Basrah, Mosul, Diwaniyah, Hilla and Baqubah. The margin of error is plus or minus 4 percentage points. The survey was conducted by an independent group that is not identified by U.S. officials for security reason. The poll was paid for by the Coalition Provisional Authority to get a sense of Iraqi attitudes, U.S. officials said.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

the washington post article seems to indicate as well that the iraqis do not like the US occupation, however (this is good news) they are giving their new gov't a chance....

that's the gist of zakaria's article, that the iraqi gov't can do something the US can't... co-opt the insurgents... if they can at least get the militias to stop fighting and raising hell with the marines, that's a victory... then the iraqi gov't (and the coalition forces) can focus on fighting the terrorists....

Originally posted by NATO AIR
the washington post article seems to indicate as well that the iraqis do not like the US occupation, however (this is good news) they are giving their new gov't a chance....

that's the gist of zakaria's article, that the iraqi gov't can do something the US can't... co-opt the insurgents... if they can at least get the militias to stop fighting and raising hell with the marines, that's a victory... then the iraqi gov't (and the coalition forces) can focus on fighting the terrorists....

You might like to browse this site, I'll give you a bit of the latest post:

http://iraqthemodel.blogspot.com/

About economy.
A new phenomenon has recently appeared in Baghdad; some might see that it’s not a big deal but I think it has lots of meanings. This phenomenon made me stop to think again about the huge contradiction between what we see on the media and what I see on the ground. Everyone is talking about unemployment and how it increased after the war while I see that there’s a lot of exaggeration, that’s if it’s not the opposite...

...The new phenomenon that I want to talk about is bringing foreign workers to work in Iraq in private sector....

...The question is why don’t these people hire Iraqis instead? And why do these people (workers) risk their lives in coming to work in such a “chaotic area”? I think the answer to the 1st question is that most Iraqis can easily find a job that pays more than 100 $ with less effort and commitments. For example a kid (in summer vacation)who help in cleaning the streets and river banks get paid about 120$ by the city hall a month for about 5 hours work.

The answer to the 2nd question can be explained in 2 ways; there seems to be lots of job opportunities in Iraq as a result of private businesses' improvement and an increase in the life standard of a good proportion of Iraqis that made this process (importing workers) a real business and that enabled Iraqis to pay reasonable amounts of money to those workers that make it worthy the risk. The other answer might be that the security conditions in Iraq is not that scary to prevent workers from coming to Iraq and also that Iraq job market seems better for simple workers at least than that in India, Philippines, Seri Lanka and many other Asian countries!!

For years before the war the opposite was true, and no foreigner workers were able or interested to come to work in Iraq, and after all this "destruction and chaos and imminent civil war" this seems to have changed and Iraq has suddenly become a place that attracts many jobless people from different countries! Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation other than what I suggested?!

By Ali.

Kinda makes you wonder what we're hearing? As I said, peruse the site. There are links there to other Iraqi bloggers.

The foreign workers are coming to Iraq to work for the money, plain and simple. Despite the dangers, an $80K paycheck for an American from the South with no college degree reaks of temptation, especially when there are mouths to feed.
Baghdad is such a scary place for foreigners that commercial planes still don't land at the airport over a year after major combat was declared as over.

But this handover should have occurred months ago, as soon as Hussein was captured and his troops defeated. It could have saved possibly thousands of lives. However, the CPA had to be sure and privatize all it could for the benefit of the world's international corporations before a handover could occur.

Originally posted by menewa
The foreign workers are coming to Iraq to work for the money, plain and simple. Despite the dangers, an $80K paycheck for an American from the South with no college degree reaks of temptation, especially when there are mouths to feed.
Baghdad is such a scary place for foreigners that commercial planes still don't land at the airport over a year after major combat was declared as over.

But this handover should have occurred months ago, as soon as Hussein was captured and his troops defeated. It could have saved possibly thousands of lives. However, the CPA had to be sure and privatize all it could for the benefit of the world's international corporations before a handover could occur.

Menew I suggest you read the article. That's $80 per month...hello??? You have even less of an idea about nation building than the administration, which is saying a lot. :rolleyes:

okay i wrote something long, it got lost in bad internet.. aww crap

basically two things

basic security (not terrorism/beheadings) is poor right now... the europeans need to jump in there and train up these iraqis in law enforcement and other areas. business, society and culture will never prevail if basic crimes like assault, robbery, rape and murder are being allowed or seem inevitable.

civil affairs/aid workers.. there needs to be a very large influx of them in the sooner, rather than the later. we only have around 15,000 to 20,000 of them, we need about 100,000 or more. main goal for them is teaching and showing the iraqis how to be self-sufficent, which is possible. look at what NATO accomplished in N. Iraq with the Kurds in 10 years. anything good can happen.

the main point of all is, the media is just so damned negative. you think the taliban is in iraq or something. there is good news, success stories, etc etc, but at the same time, in the hopeless woe is us mentality of much of the media, they also miss out on the fact that iraqis are scared not of terrorists but of common criminals who are running amok.

okay i wrote something long, it got lost in bad internet.. aww crap

basically two things

basic security (not terrorism/beheadings) is poor right now... the europeans need to jump in there and train up these iraqis in law enforcement and other areas. business, society and culture will never prevail if basic crimes like assault, robbery, rape and murder are being allowed or seem inevitable.

civil affairs/aid workers.. there needs to be a very large influx of them in the sooner, rather than the later. we only have around 15,000 to 20,000 of them, we need about 100,000 or more. main goal for them is teaching and showing the iraqis how to be self-sufficent, which is possible. look at what NATO accomplished in N. Iraq with the Kurds in 10 years. anything good can happen.

the main point of all is, the media is just so damned negative. you think the taliban is in iraq or something. there is good news, success stories, etc etc, but at the same time, in the hopeless woe is us mentality of much of the media, they also miss out on the fact that iraqis are scared not of terrorists but of common criminals who are running amok.

Saddam left the criminals out of the jails at the onset of the war. That is a problem that will take a long time, even if not a country under occupation, to rectify.

NATO said yes to training, they did not rule out in Iraq, that is a done deal.

Originally posted by Kathianne
Menew I suggest you read the article. That's $80 per month...hello??? You have even less of an idea about nation building than the administration, which is saying a lot. :rolleyes:

What is this you speak? Americans working for private firms like HalliB earn $80K a year, not $80 a month. I didn't read anything about foreigners making as little as $80/month working for a private firm. You're joking right?

that's good NATO said yes, but are the French and Germans gonna hold up their ends of the bargain?

and we care about the French and Germans? Last column I saw, they weren't quoted. :rolleyes:

Maybe some of those with military background might give their perspective? Lotsa links here:

Friday, June 25, 2004

http://www.donaldsensing.com/2004/06/winner-is-least-screwed-up.html

The winner is the least screwed up

Back in the height of the Cold War I served three years in Germany in 155mm and 8-inch artillery units. Across the Inner German Border, separating West and East Germany, lay the huge and feared Group of Soviet Forces, Germany. In terms of numbers, we were soundly outnumbered and outgunned, but the Sovskies never invaded and eventually became tame Russkies who went home.

Why did they never invade? I pondered the question for years before I got the answer.

One of the things I learned about the Soviet military was that it was riven with corruption from top to bottom. Across the rank and file, its officers and soldiers were simply not very good, not highly competent except for a narrow range of skills defined by unit function and ranks.

The really good Soviet officers wrote (their journals reached the West) that Soviet military exeercises in Europe were chracterized by massive foulups and snafus.

Yet the prevailing opinion of many of us junior officers (I was a captain then) and NCOs was that the US Army was not exactly a paragon of organization effectiveness or efficiency. For example, I was present when an American brigadier general said that the combat medical evacuation and treatment system in Europe was simply broken.

Any soldier, NCO or officer who took part in REFORGER exercises can recount the screwups that seemed to be woven throughout.

So I concluded that the reason NATO and the Soviets each took no action to start war was that the generals on both sides were fearful that the other side could not possibly be as screwed up as their own side.

Back in the States, I explained this theory to a goodly number of senior officers over time, and they all laughed, but none said no.

In wartime, not screwing up is often just as important as doing things right. Which brings me to Brian Dunn's exposition of the fundamental screwups of our terrorist enemies in Iraq:

I think the main reason for our success is that the Islamists with their foreign jihadis have screwed things up for the Baathists. That is, if the insurgents (or regime remnants or whatever you want to call them) had been able to target Americans and our allies without other complications, the vast majority of Iraqis might have decided to sit out the war as neutrals and just watch passively to see who will win. Absent a really ruthless American campaign, we would never win if we fought enemies in a sea of apathy that slowly turned against us as the violence continued.

But the jihadis were never able to control the tempo or character of the ensuing battles, except perhaps very early.

This civil war strategy of the Islamists was always going to be a loser for the Baathists. A Sunni-Shia war might have been fine when the Sunnis controlled all the instruments of state power, but in a fight in which the Shias have the numbers and the state, this cannot work. At best, this path could inflame the oil-free Sunni heartland in revolt but this would not gain the entire country back for the Baathists. The Baathists could only win it all back if the Shias joined them against America as a common enemy, as some thought was happening in April at the start of the twin Fallujah and Sadr revolts.

For all the mistakes we have made, our enemy may have made the most critical of them all.
As Wretchard observes, Zarqawi's "control of Iraq has slipped forever beyond his grasp."

by Donald Sensing, 8:44 PM.

What is this you speak? Americans working for private firms like HalliB earn $80K a year, not $80 a month. I didn't read anything about foreigners making as little as $80/month working for a private firm. You're joking right?

Read the article. Not talking about Americans. :eek:

You have even less of an idea about nation building than the administration, which is saying a lot. :rolleyes:

I do no understand the basis for this snide remark KA. My reasoning behind a swifter transfer of power to an interim government in Iraq is based upon recent history.

If you recall, after the US and our allies routed the Taliban from power in Afghanistan, power was almost immediately transfered to the interim government headed by Karzai. This greater amount of soveriegnty, appears to have worked much better than the Iraqi model, in which power was maintained by the CPA. As a result, the carnage has been much less in Afghanistan than in Iraq.

Who's your daddy?

I do no understand the basis for this snide remark KA. My reasoning behind a swifter transfer of power to an interim government in Iraq is based upon recent history.

If you recall, after the US and our allies routed the Taliban from power in Afghanistan, power was almost immediately transfered to the interim government headed by Karzai. This greater amount of soveriegnty, appears to have worked much better than the Iraqi model, in which power was maintained by the CPA. As a result, the carnage has been much less in Afghanistan than in Iraq.

There is no comparison between Iraq and Afghanistan. The latter had been overtaken by warlords; little or no infrastructure, economy, and zip government. Take the best and say, 'You're the leader.' Then make sure the tribes take heed.

Iraq did have a government, oh boy did they! Heavy handed, no thinking allowed for the citizens, no personal responsibility other than doing what was bidded. That is a very different situation. Not even talking about the complex infrastruction, including the oil industry.

But this handover should have occurred months ago, as soon as Hussein was captured and his troops defeated. [/B]

WHy? This seems like you just pulled it out of your a-hole.

There is no comparison between Iraq and Afghanistan. The latter had been overtaken by warlords; little or no infrastructure, economy, and zip government. Take the best and say, 'You're the leader.' Then make sure the tribes take heed.

Iraq did have a government, oh boy did they! Heavy handed, no thinking allowed for the citizens, no personal responsibility other than doing what was bidded. That is a very different situation. Not even talking about the complex infrastruction, including the oil industry.

You're right, there are big differences in the two nations. But the strategy behind rebuilding the nation including a swift tranfer of some type of soverieignty might have cut down on some of the macabre carnage we have been witnessing.

As the story above read, about 70 percent of the Iraqis are behind the interim government that we hand over in a couple of days. We could have gotten this kind of support nearly a year ago.

I'm not alone in this sentinemt. This morning on Meet the Press Newt Gingrich echoed this idea. I can't believe I'm in agreement with Gingrich, but strange times call for strange bedfellows.

You're right, there are big differences in the two nations. But the strategy behind rebuilding the nation including a swift tranfer of some type of soverieignty might have cut down on some of the macabre carnage we have been witnessing.

As the story above read, about 70 percent of the Iraqis are behind the interim government that we hand over in a couple of days. We could have gotten this kind of support nearly a year ago.

I'm not alone in this sentinemt. This morning on Meet the Press Newt Gingrich echoed this idea. I can't believe I'm in agreement with Gingrich, but strange times call for strange bedfellows.

Well I respectfully disagree with you both, if you have Newt right on this, the reason being there was not a leader ready and able to come up to the plate a year ago. Shoot a year ago we had been there about 3 months. Saddam wasn't caught until December. What are you talking about?

a swift tranfer of some type of soverieignty might have cut down on some of the macabre carnage we have been witnessing.

We could have gotten this kind of support nearly a year ago.

Yes. Let's hold the president to a fanciful standard of what might have been. That seems fair. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
Yes. Let's hold the president to a fanciful standard of what might have been. That seems fair. :rolleyes:

With an election coming up in a mere five months, it is fair to judge the past actions of the president.

Forum List

Back