For Illegals, A Spreading Backlash

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
good news from the CSM

http://www.christiansciencemonitor.com/2005/0812/p01s01-ussc.html

For illegals, a spreading backlash

Counties, states hope to needle Bush into tightening US border.

By Mark Trumbull | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

CALDWELL, IDAHO – This oasis of irrigated farm country in the high desert is a long way from the US-Mexico border, and even farther from the nation's capital, but it represents America's new battleground on immigration policy.
Here county commissioner Robert Vasquez is trying to do what he says Washington won't: crack down on illegal immigration. He recently sued several local employers in a novel bid to use federal anticorruption law to prevent hiring illegals.

Mr. Vasquez's controversial crusade is part of a larger pattern. As the border continues to be punctured by illicit crossings, and as immigrants spread to places unaccustomed to or unprepared for the influx, a local backlash is building.

The moves, ranging from police arrests in New Hampshire to community activism in Tennessee, point to a sharp political divide. At the very least, they signal a rift among conservatives among conservatives that may be growing more pronounced, as President Bush seeks an accommodative policy but faces resistance from some other Republicans such as Vasquez.

But the attempted crackdowns also reveal a larger rift - one that separates much of Main Street America from the nation's policymaking elite. At a time when Congress is considering guest-worker programs to legalize more undocumented workers, polls show most Americans want to see illegal immigration curbed.

REST OF ARTICLE AT LINK

NATO AIR said:
good news from the CSM

I was thinking today---exactly HOW many mexicans it takes to do what Americans wont ? Do we need 100,000 more or are we at some kind of acceptable level. All these little bambinos are going to need jobs too after we pay to raise them.

It's way beyond insane and NO ONE CARES.

dilloduck said:
I was thinking today---exactly HOW many mexicans it takes to do what Americans wont ? Do we need 100,000 more or are we at some kind of acceptable level. All these little bambinos are going to need jobs too after we pay to raise them.

No one cares about America anymore --- defending this nation. Everyone just shrugs shoulders and says, "You can't stop it." But you CAN. Or you COULD. That's like lying back to be raped. So weak, so lame. Immigration is destroying and will destroy the America the founding fathers created, and that is a tragedy. Unfortunately, our "leaders," from Ted Kennedy to GWB, are all on the same side of this issue: Screw America and its traditional majority.

dilloduck said:

That's a good question. How many do we need? Right now if all illegals in this country stopped working for one week the entire country would grind to a screeching halt. We need to face reality and think of some sort of logical design that takes into account the fact that we do for good or bad need some of these workers.

nucular said:
That's a good question. How many do we need? Right now if all illegals in this country stopped working for one week the entire country would grind to a screeching halt. We need to face reality and think of some sort of logical design that takes into account the fact that we do for good or bad need some of these workers.

This has to be the biggest neocon/lib lie going --- and that's saying something. America DOES NOT NEED ILLEGALS. We would not starve. In fact, we'd do much BETTER. We have plenty of teenagers who can do the work, plenty of citizens who are jobless but only because they can't compete with slave (illegal) wages of illegals. Hey, it's easy to beat the competition when YOU BREAK THE FREAKIN' LAW!

The "logical design" we need now is to to start deporting, start going after employers who hire illegals, and secure the borders. Reagan said, "a nation that does not defend its borders is not a nation." Amen. Where is a Real Republican when you need him?

William Joyce said:
This has to be the biggest neocon/lib lie going --- and that's saying something. America DOES NOT NEED ILLEGALS. We would not starve. In fact, we'd do much BETTER. We have plenty of teenagers who can do the work, plenty of citizens who are jobless but only because they can't compete with slave (illegal) wages of illegals. Hey, it's easy to beat the competition when YOU BREAK THE FREAKIN' LAW!

The "logical design" we need now is to to start deporting, start going after employers who hire illegals, and secure the borders. Reagan said, "a nation that does not defend its borders is not a nation." Amen. Where is a Real Republican when you need him?

Since the big defense of illegals seems to be that we need them, I thought I might just press the issue and see how many we really need to do the work that Americans supposedly won't do. Once we determine how many is "enough" perhaps we could do a count and send the extras back. YA YA--absurd but ya gotta be absurd to argue with idiots.

dilloduck said:
Since the big defense of illegals seems to be that we need them, I thought I might just press the issue and see how many we really need to do the work that Americans supposedly won't do. Once we determine how many is "enough" perhaps we could do a count and send the extras back. YA YA--absurd but ya gotta be absurd to argue with idiots.

As my sig says, you cannot argue with someone you must first educate.

I'd like to ask the Christians on this board a question. The Mexican illegal immigrants are all Catholics, therefore Christians. Yet I hear a lot of opposition to them. Are you placing your country before your religion? Is it not a part of Christianity to share the wealth and "love thy neighbor as thyself"? Did Jesus recognize national borders? What would he have thought about deporting your fellow Christians because you think it's in your economic interest?

Hobbit said:
As my sig says, you cannot argue with someone you must first educate.
That's getting a bit old Hobbit--why don't you go ahead and just educate us so you have someone to talk to. :cof:

nucular said:
I'd like to ask the Christians on this board a question. The Mexican illegal immigrants are all Catholics, therefore Christians. Yet I hear a lot of opposition to them. Are you placing your country before your religion? Is it not a part of Christianity to share the wealth and "love thy neighbor as thyself"? Did Jesus recognize national borders? What would he have thought about deporting your fellow Christians because you think it's in your economic interest?

I'm not sure but he commented a lot about these issues---I wonder what he would say to all the Mexicans .

Forum List

Back