For Grump

sitarro

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
USA
Grump doubts that photography is one of many things I do for a living, here are some I have taken for our company for books produced for each of these courses. One doesn't have to be a wedding photographer to make a living shooting photographs as part of their job description. These were shot while spending at least a week on site drawing, measuring and shooting the course.

Arrowhead G.C. outside of Denver.........

Mid Ocean Club, Bermuda.........

Queenwood G.C., London.........

Bali Hi G.C., Vegas..........

Doonbeg G.C., Ireland..........

Marsh Landing G.C., Florida......

Frederica G.C., Georgia......

Birmingham G.C., Alabama.........

Whirlwind G.C., Arizona........

Houstan Oaks G.C., Texas.......

Glen Eagles C.C., Texas........

Half Moon Bay Old Course, California........

Se Ri Pak playing in the Samsung Golf Tournament, Texas.......

Again, never claimed to be a photography expert or a pro photographer, just one of the things I do.

Last edited:
the first pic.. Colorado is stunning! :clap2:

It is south of the Red Rocks Amphitheater, there is a private course south of it that is also built in the same range of red limestone that runs from Boulder to the Garden of The Gods in Colorado Springs. The golf course is pretty but very short so not much of a course for anyone that can play. That shot is the first hole taken from the club house.

Did you notice the shot from Arizona, that was shot right after September 11th, the course was built on an Indian reservation outside of Phoenix on the way to Tucson. They replaced the normal flags with American flags. They had to put an extra hole off of the green to put the pin in while you were putting, can't put the flag on the ground ya know. I had a good time reminding the players of that. A lot of coyotes, roadrunners and bobcats on that course.

Last edited:
Almost makes me want to learn to play golf....

I was shooting photographs on a course in Houston, late in the afternoon, my favorite time to shoot golf courses and to play them as well. An old gentleman was playing the hole i was shooting. He was walking, pulling a handcart with his clubs. He didn't hit it far but he was straight down the fairway, walked up and hit it again. I went to him and said how refreshing it was to see someone playing the game the way it was meant to be played...... walking. He told me he played 9 holes everyday, it was how he got his exercise and it kept him young........."I'm 93" he told me with pride.

Golf is a game that can be played until the day you die. No matter how good you get at hitting the ball, the challenge never gets easier because you then challenge yourself, it becomes a huge mental game the better you get. Tiger still gets coached on his swing. The playing field is never the same. The hole location is moved every morning, wind, rain, cold, morning dew or afternoon sun, everything has an effect on the round.

I have played for 50 years, love the game. I have only had one hole in one and broken par 5 times. Now, as little as I play, I can maintain about a 6 handicap, you need to play more to keep the short game around and on the green sharp, a lot of strokes per round are made within 100 yards of the hole. I can only hope to be playing 9 holes, everyday, when I'm 93. There is a reason that many athletes that have been the best in their game become golfers..... the challenge of sinking a 4 foot putt to win a 10 dollar bet is real and very rewarding when you see that ball go in the hole.

This is the shot I took the day I met the 93 year old.

Last edited:
Almost makes me want to learn to play golf....

I was shooting photographs on a course in Houston, late in the afternoon, my favorite time to shoot golf courses and to play them as well. An old gentleman was playing the hole i was shooting. He was walking, pulling a handcart with his clubs. He didn't hit it far but he was straight down the fairway, walked up and hit it again. I went to him and said how refreshing it was to see someone playing the game the way it was meant to be played...... walking. He told me he played 9 holes everyday, it was how he got his exercise and it kept him young........."I'm 93" he told me with pride.

Golf is a game that can be played until the day you die. No matter how good you get at hitting the ball, the challenge never gets easier because you then challenge yourself, it becomes a huge mental game the better you get. Tiger still gets coached on his swing. The playing field is never the same. The hole location is moved every morning, wind, rain, cold, morning dew or afternoon sun, everything has an effect on the round.

I have played for 50 years, love the game. I have only had one hole in one and broken par 5 times. Now, as little as I play, I can maintain about a 6 handicap, you need to play more to keep the short game around and on the green sharp, a lot of strokes per round are made within 100 yards of the hole. I can only hope to be playing 9 holes, everyday, when I'm 93. There is a reason that many athletes that have been the best in their game become golfers..... the challenge of sinking a 4 foot putt to win a 10 dollar bet is real and very rewarding when you see that ball go in the hole.

This is the shot I took the day I met the 93 year old.

Awesome....

No comments from Grump? Always quick to criticize what I do for a living and yet when I post some of the work that I continue to do today(heading to Bermuda to shoot new shots of the Mid Ocean Club this fall), no response. Surely a "writer" can come up with something original to say in an attempt to denigrate what I do....... have at it. I do know that you know nothing about photography(you admitted it) and probably know nothing about golf so I doubt that your criticism would be worth listening to but at least the rest of the board could see how small you really are.

My other job, pushing airliners around, will provide me a free ride in first class to Bermuda, I'll still be able to bill the client for the flight......... yea, that airline job sucks, continue to belittle me for doing it.

Now you or KK can say something predictably stupid like "He doth protest to much".

No comments from Grump? Always quick to criticize what I do for a living and yet when I post some of the work that I continue to do today(heading to Bermuda to shoot new shots of the Mid Ocean Club this fall), no response. Surely a "writer" can come up with something original to say in an attempt to denigrate what I do....... have at it. I do know that you know nothing about photography(you admitted it) and probably know nothing about golf so I doubt that your criticism would be worth listening to but at least the rest of the board could see how small you really are.

My other job, pushing airliners around, will provide me a free ride in first class to Bermuda, I'll still be able to bill the client for the flight......... yea, that airline job sucks, continue to belittle me for doing it.

Now you or KK can say something predictably stupid like "He doth protest to much".

Not that it matters, but I don't think Grumps been around much at all. He was here yesterday, and if you're gone for even a day from this board, you have upwards around 1500 new posts to weed through.

In the mean time, if it doesn't matter to you what someone thinks about what you do, or don't do, why waste all that time posting a thread trying to get their attention, and then being offended and posting again when they don't give you said attention in the timeframe YOU were expecting?

:eusa_eh:

I actually think they are great shots.

My objection to you from the get-go - and we're going back three years now - was YOUR belittling of OTHER's abilities and life experiences, when you are hardly a raging success at your own. If you were, you wouldn't need the airline job. You do.

If I was a painter and Picasso was criticising me, then fair call. Ditto if I was an actor and Lawrence Olivier was calling me to task. But when I see a Neville Nobody dissing other people's work when they themselves are not an expert, then it shows them for the shallow, attention-seeking person they are...

That aside, you're a racist, but pretend you aren't. Not a KKK, cross-burning variety, but the closet "some of my best friends are black" variety.....anybody who starts a thread about Obama staring at a "white" girl's butt instead of just a girl's butt, reeks of racism.

And Dis was right, I didn't even know this thread existed...

Not that it matters, but I don't think Grumps been around much at all. He was here yesterday, and if you're gone for even a day from this board, you have upwards around 1500 new posts to weed through.

In the mean time, if it doesn't matter to you what someone thinks about what you do, or don't do, why waste all that time posting a thread trying to get their attention, and then being offended and posting again when they don't give you said attention in the timeframe YOU were expecting?

:eusa_eh:

Waste time? It took all of 5 minutes. It's a photography column, isn't it Dis? Foe someone that wastes a tremendous amount of time arguing with other board members about nothing, I find it funny that you would waste your time accusing me of wasting my time.

I actually think they are great shots.

Thank you.

My objection to you from the get-go - and we're going back three years now - was YOUR belittling of OTHER's abilities and life experiences, when you are hardly a raging success at your own. If you were, you wouldn't need the airline job. You do.

You, like many on the board, misunderstood what I was trying to say to Jon and DMP. I was merely attempting to discuss what has happened to the photography business with the introduction of digital equipment. I wasn't criticizing them, I was merely discussing the realities of the business. Because of the standard group attack that happened shortly after that and the subsequent attacks by the 2 guys I was talking to in the first place, things got out of hand and I responded to them as they did to me......... like I see constantly on this board and others, one idiot misunderstands a post and the piranhas jump on the person that posted what was misunderstood. DMP enjoyed shooting his car, Jon became an exceptional photographer rather quickly. I apologized to both in PMs and settled the arguments there. You are the one that continues to attack me 3 years later. It's funny how I can be attacked for a post by a gang of other members and that's OK, if I defend myself I "doth protest too much".

I don't need the airline job, I could shoot weddings and kids and everything else I would hate doing to make a living as a photographer, I don't want that life. I have explained the positives I get from having it and the flexibility it offers me. I watch people bitch about the high cost of air travel constantly, I don't pay anything, at least for now(Obama wants to tax me for the free flying I get as part of my employment). Like I have said before, if I get a wild hair up my ass and want to go to Paris for a weekend, I can go for almost no money. I will spend 20 hours in the air but who cares, I'll eat a great dinner there and maybe shoot some photos........ there isn't a cost that prevents me from doing it. Besides, I like the company and the work and the photo opportunities I get on the ramp of a major airport, I was raised around airplanes and enjoy being around them.

If I was a painter and Picasso was criticising me, then fair call. Ditto if I was an actor and Lawrence Olivier was calling me to task. But when I see a Neville Nobody dissing other people's work when they themselves are not an expert, then it shows them for the shallow, attention-seeking person they are...

I have been shooting photographs for 35 years, I know enough to criticize. Journalist don't do anything but write and yet are paid to criticize things they have no experience in, are they wrong also. One doesn't have to be an "expert" to have the knowledge to critique, college professors and politicians do it every day.

That aside, you're a racist, but pretend you aren't. Not a KKK, cross-burning variety, but the closet "some of my best friends are black" variety.....anybody who starts a thread about Obama staring at a "white" girl's butt instead of just a girl's butt, reeks of racism.

:lol::lol::lol: Like I said, you race card throwers are too easy. The mere fact that I live in a Southern state is good enough for a bigot to assume that I have to be a racist. I do have people I call friends that are black, I have never said I have best friends that are black. I guarantee that I interact with more black people daily than most of the race card throwers on this board do in a year. None would label me a racist.

And Dis was right, I didn't even know this thread existed...

I'm glad Dis wasted her time to let me know that.

Last edited:
i have to ask...posting pictures proves what?

i just dont see the connection...images can be gleaned from all over the net..

It doesn't prove anything, I made up the whole thing....... I just thought that you would think that I wouldn't make up being a golf course photographer, who would think there was such a thing? I guess I could have stolen some safari shots but that would've been too easy, I needed to go into detail about golf courses........ how do you like how I even put down where they were shot........ or were they?

You don't believe me but you believe in a two bit whore like obama and you don't need any proof from his lying shit ass........ that's funny......... what an asshole you are. :razz:

It doesn't prove anything, I made up the whole thing....... I just thought that you would think that I wouldn't make up being a golf course photographer, who would think there was such a thing? I guess I could have stolen some safari shots but that would've been too easy, I needed to go into detail about golf courses........ how do you like how I even put down where they were shot........ or were they?

You don't believe me but you believe in a two bit whore like obama and you don't need any proof from his lying shit ass........ that's funny......... what an asshole you are. :razz:

actually, Sit, to be fair, I have seen bones criticize Obama plenty.

actually, Sit, to be fair, I have seen bones criticize Obama plenty.

Thanks for that elvis, I stand corrected and ask bones to disregard my last line.:cool:

Forum List

Back