For discussion: Poverty is a Choice.

For the able, but unwilling it is. You have to look at what you are doing to contribute to your present sitution.....as Dr. Phil would say "own it" . :D

dmp said:
Yes. Indeed.

Thoughts?

Depends on who you ask.

If you ask responsible people who are doing their best in this world to improve themselves, then yes.

If you ask the people who want to sponge off the government, waiting for their handouts while changing "woe is me" and "who will help us", then no.

Just a little side note. Back in the late 1990's, the fast food chain, Hardee's, closed their restaurants here in Memphis because they couldn't get anyone to work. They were offering between $6.00 and $6.50 an hour to start. Seems that most of the people who applied either told them they wanted more and wouldn't work for a penny less, or that they could make more off welfare.

Many people born in the US will look at immigrants and wonder why they, for the most part, do so well in such a short time. It's because most are willing to struggle so that their kids can go to good schools and do better then them.

It only takes one generation for a family to go from poor to middle class. Parents need to be willing to sacrifice for their childrens future.

Trigg said:
Many people born in the US will look at immigrants and wonder why they, for the most part, do so well in such a short time. It's because most are willing to struggle so that their kids can go to good schools and do better then them.

It only takes one generation for a family to go from poor to middle class. Parents need to be willing to sacrifice for their childrens future.

Not only that, in many cultures, children are expected (and do) to help their parents after their children are established and working. This isn't something we see often in North America. It's also quite common to see this in larger French/Catholic families here, can't speak for there of course.

Literacy is important. Children are expensive. If people don't learn those two simple rules they will very likely be poor and why feel sorry for them?

Nuc said:
Literacy is important. Children are expensive. If people don't learn those two simple rules they will very likely be poor and why feel sorry for them?

Children are not expensive. For the first year of their life, they pretty much eat for free...after that, goodwill can clothe them - and make them eat whatever they can catch running/scampering about the house.

:D

dmp said:
Children are not expensive. For the first year of their life, they pretty much eat for free...after that, goodwill can clothe them - and make them eat whatever they can catch running/scampering about the house.

:D

I don't know about yours but my kid was expensive!
:smoke: :thup: :p:

There is no incentive for the whining poor to do anything to improve and there are a million excuses for them to stay the way they are. Mark my words---you WILL begin to hear about the "Katrina Syndrome" and panhandlers with signs that say -"Lost everything in Katrina"

poor is realtive....i grew up poor but had everything i needed.....i am now far from poor but i need no more than my wife and kids

rtwngAvngr said:
People don't plan to fail. They fail to plan.

Exactly!!! Many people who should be doing just fine with the money they make are also guilty of poor money management. Not knowing how to handle finances will put you in the poor house real quick.

manu1959 said:
poor is realtive....i grew up poor but had everything i needed.....i am now far from poor but i need no more than my wife and kids

if ya ever run for higher office let me know...will support ya just on this comment!

Not counting the moment of your birth, fifty percent of any situation you are in can be traced to a choice you made. Ergo, poverty is at least fifty percent by choice.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice -- Rush (not limbaugh)

A child born to a welfare dependent mother--how is this kid going to learn how to make choices wil lnot to end up in him/her staying in the same place?

dilloduck said:
A child born to a welfare dependent mother--how is this kid going to learn how to make choices wil lnot to end up in him/her staying in the same place?

Not relevent. The kid will learn by experience, training, circumstances etc. The welfare mom will serve as on example. Unless the kid is imprisoned, there will be other influences, other examples. At any time he/she can choose to simply walk away. At any time he/she can choose to join the service, the merchant marine, or the circus.

pegwinn said:
Not relevent. The kid will learn by experience, training, circumstances etc. The welfare mom will serve as on example. Unless the kid is imprisoned, there will be other influences, other examples. At any time he/she can choose to simply walk away. At any time he/she can choose to join the service, the merchant marine, or the circus.

I agree. There are tons of policemen, social workers, teachers, all lending an uplifting hand. They have the wearwithal to help those that are willing to grasp. There are too few.

dilloduck said:

I think poverty, for the most part, is a choice, whether conscious or unconscious. However, I also believe there are many, many affluent people who, even when making collosal bad choices, cannot or will not ever, reach a level of poverty; they are just too wealthy. Just as there are some who, while making what seems to be all the right choices, will never become affluent. Which is why one should not make character judgements based upon level of poverty/affluence.

I'm one of seven children who made it out of poverty; I chose to be different than my parents, and my siblings chose to continue in the same lifestyle. We all had the same opportunities...........just made different choices and took different paths. I will say that taking the path of not being poor required hard work and diligence on my part, and the underlying foundation of my working hard was to NOT be dependent upon the government any more than I absolutely have to be.

Forum List

Back