For Clay: Another Attempt To Be Racially Inclusive Gets Shut Down

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
I know it's Canada but the overall sentiment is the same.

------

A motion to rename Black History Month in Toronto public schools was withdrawn yesterday after a groundswell of opposition from trustees and black community leaders.

The motion would have designated February as Heritage Month. The trustee behind the motion, Scott Harrison (Scarborough Centre), said he wanted to ensure other national and cultural groups didn't feel left out.

But when fellow trustees told him he had no political support, he decided to withdraw it from last night's agenda.

"Too many people have taken it the wrong way, my colleagues included," Mr. Harrison said before the meeting. "For whatever reason, many people have got their backs up thinking that I'm taking something away, and that was never my intent."

He said his intention was to honour the board's equity policy, and reach out to other groups.

Trustee Chris Bolton (Trinity-Spadina) said he's relieved the motion was withdrawn. "I still think to some extent the damage has already been done. He's already got people riled up," he said.

"It never should have made it on to the books in the first place. I think it's inconsistent with the culture of the Toronto District School Board. I'm all for freedom of speech and that kind of thing but there are limits to what we should be working on. This is not a positive, this is not productive. This is derailing and demeaning."

During the past two days, Mr. Harrison said, he received more than 40 e-mails from people opposed to his motion. He said most originated with the Urban Alliance on Race Relations.

Michelle Cho, who works for the Toronto Coalition for Equity in Education, a group funded by the urban alliance , said Mr. Harrison's motion would have been a step in the wrong direction.

"We were encouraging the board to reject the motion because we saw it as contributing further to the alienation of the black community," Ms. Cho said.

Mr. Harrison said he still intends to pursue the idea of a Heritage Month, and he has spoken about it to his parent council and non-white school principals in his district who agreed that all communities should feel included in heritage celebrations.

Mr. Bolton, however, said the idea would be better left alone.

"We are basically on the cusp of being able to triple the number of black culture programs that we can offer across the city for kids in elementary school," Mr. Bolton said.

"To be able to encourage them to understand their place in the community. . . . If they can see themselves and their culture within the community then they can understand their place in Canada."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060309.HISTORY09/TPStory/TPNational/

GotZoom said:
I know it's Canada but the overall sentiment is the same.

------

A motion to rename Black History Month in Toronto public schools was withdrawn yesterday after a groundswell of opposition from trustees and black community leaders.

The motion would have designated February as Heritage Month. The trustee behind the motion, Scott Harrison (Scarborough Centre), said he wanted to ensure other national and cultural groups didn't feel left out.

But when fellow trustees told him he had no political support, he decided to withdraw it from last night's agenda.

"Too many people have taken it the wrong way, my colleagues included," Mr. Harrison said before the meeting. "For whatever reason, many people have got their backs up thinking that I'm taking something away, and that was never my intent."

He said his intention was to honour the board's equity policy, and reach out to other groups.

Trustee Chris Bolton (Trinity-Spadina) said he's relieved the motion was withdrawn. "I still think to some extent the damage has already been done. He's already got people riled up," he said.

"It never should have made it on to the books in the first place. I think it's inconsistent with the culture of the Toronto District School Board. I'm all for freedom of speech and that kind of thing but there are limits to what we should be working on. This is not a positive, this is not productive. This is derailing and demeaning."

During the past two days, Mr. Harrison said, he received more than 40 e-mails from people opposed to his motion. He said most originated with the Urban Alliance on Race Relations.

Michelle Cho, who works for the Toronto Coalition for Equity in Education, a group funded by the urban alliance , said Mr. Harrison's motion would have been a step in the wrong direction.

"We were encouraging the board to reject the motion because we saw it as contributing further to the alienation of the black community," Ms. Cho said.

Mr. Harrison said he still intends to pursue the idea of a Heritage Month, and he has spoken about it to his parent council and non-white school principals in his district who agreed that all communities should feel included in heritage celebrations.

Mr. Bolton, however, said the idea would be better left alone.

"We are basically on the cusp of being able to triple the number of black culture programs that we can offer across the city for kids in elementary school," Mr. Bolton said.

"To be able to encourage them to understand their place in the community. . . . If they can see themselves and their culture within the community then they can understand their place in Canada."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060309.HISTORY09/TPStory/TPNational/
That's terrible. Heritage month is much better than black history month. I still stand behind my position that creating a white history month in return as a fuck you to blacks won't solve anything. (not saying this was proposed, but just as a hypothetical)

The ClayTaurus said:
That's terrible. Heritage month is much better than black history month. I still stand behind my position that creating a white history month in return as a fuck you to blacks won't solve anything. (not saying this was proposed, but just as a hypothetical)

So any expression of white pride is a Fuck You to blacks? Your critical thinking skills are lacking mightily.

The ClayTaurus said:

Right there....that is the problem.

You..along with a majority of blacks...automatically assume that a proposal of a White History Month is nothing more than a fuck you to blacks.

Why is it so hard to believe that the people who want a White History Month are as proud as their face as blacks are.

Why is ANYTHING pro-white a "fuck you" to blacks?

rtwngAvngr said:
So any expression of white pride is a Fuck You to blacks? Your critical thinking skills are lacking mightily.

Whoa....scary...we said the same thing at the same time.

*insert Twilight Zone music*

The intentions are worthy of question when white history month is only pursued after people voice their opposition (and fail) to rename or remove black history month. Both serve no real positive function, in my opinion. Heritage month or something similar would be much more preferable.

The ClayTaurus said:
The intentions are worthy of question when white history month is only pursued after people voice their opposition (and fail) to rename or remove black history month. Both serve no real positive function, in my opinion. Heritage month or something similar would be much more preferable.

You brought up white history month, jackwad.

The ClayTaurus said:

But it hasn't. This article states a desire for "replacement" but in other situations where people have wanted a White History Month..or any celebration, club, association, event, etc..that is labeled whites only - it is automatically disallowed and labeled racist.

GotZoom said:
But it hasn't. This article states a desire for "replacement" but in other situations where people have wanted a White History Month..or any celebration, club, association, event, etc..that is labeled whites only - it is automatically disallowed and labeled racist.
The intentions of such efforts are suspect, IMO. If you disagree, ok, I can understand why you would. Have a white history month, have a black history month, have a fat lazy bald headed month if you want. If it were up to me, though, I'd have one inclusive month rather than a bunch of exclusive ones.

I don't see the need for any specific group's history to be celebrated in this way, but if it is to be done, then a Heritage month for all should be preferable to the PC folks than the singling out of one ethnic group. But instead, once again, the requirement that we be "inclusive" and "celebrate diversity", only applies to certain groups and not to others.

On the other hand, things aren't so good between the white and black comunities in Toronto right now, so something like that probably wouldn't go over well either, especially in light of the shoot out on Young st.

Abbey Normal said:
I don't see the need for any specific group's history to be celebrated in this way, but if it is to be done, then a Heritage month for all should be preferable to the PC folks than the singling out of one ethnic group. But instead, once again, the requirement that we be "inclusive" and "celebrate diversity", only applies to certain groups and not to others.

That sounds nice, abbey, but it's far from reality. The paradigm in use today, even in our universities of allegedly higher learning, is this: Non whites are encouraged to be proud of their race; whites are encouraged to be ashamed.

I think I've posted this before, but when I was taking African-American History in college, my professor (a white hippie type) actually stated in class that it was impossible for black people to be racists. This was because blacks were a minority and racism was about oppression.

I thought racism was about hatred. I thought his statement was actually encouraging racism, especially when I looked around the classroom to see many black people nodding vigorously in agreement.

mom4 said:
I think I've posted this before, but when I was taking African-American History in college, my professor (a white hippie type) actually stated in class that it was impossible for black people to be racists. This was because blacks were a minority and racism was about oppression.

I thought racism was about hatred. I thought his statement was actually encouraging racism, especially when I looked around the classroom to see many black people nodding vigorously in agreement.

Fortunately you made it out of college halfway sane !

no1tovote4 said:
*snerk* I almost choked on my drink. So what exactly is this really all about?

The sadness of not having a White History month, in Canada. Like anyone up here really cares. Ok, maybe they do,for abourt 5 minutes. :laugh:

no1tovote4 said:
*snerk* I almost choked on my drink. So what exactly is this really all about?
I believe the main reason there is no "white history month" or white anything is because whites don't want to have blacks upset or angry towards them at any cost.

Blacks would not respect a "white history month" in fact I think during a "white history month" there would be even a greater number of blacks attacking whites then there already is.

Said1 said:
The sadness of not having a White History month, in Canada. Like anyone up here really cares. Ok, maybe they do,for abourt 5 minutes. :laugh:
How many minutes do Canadians care about black history month?

Forum List

Back