For CBS, This May Be the Fat Lady Singing

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    a sweet song for Jihadthis!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18982-2004Sep13.html

2. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Boy, is the Fat Lady Singing and she's wearing a helmet with horns and it's Wagner's Lohengrin , too! I think that the CBS folks may have been so eager to believe that they had a big story (like Dan Rather's scoop on the JFK assasination) that they may have "forgotten" to get some independent analysis.

Regarding the superscripting. I saw the PDF file of the supposed memos. I noticed that the superscripting on 111th occured in the body of the memo, but not in the letterhead.

I suppose that the letterhead could have been pre-printed, but if it were, it seems more likely that the printer would have put superscripting in the letterhead than not. Printers were able to do superscripting at the time.

Yet, an airman with little to average typing ability took it on himself to add superscripting to the body of a memo that he was typing?

Furthermore, I believe that that burden of proof here is on the accuser. If CBS maintains that they are authentic, they should start producing evidence that it is. So far, their document "experts" weren't really experts at all.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Rather is toast unless he produces his "source". What are the odds of that happening?

4. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

I'd say about the same as his saying, "I screwed up, I was wrong, and I'm sorry".

5. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Yeah Im afraid he may get a pass on this. Are the documents actually being examined by forensics right now?

But more importantly than Rather's career going down the hopper is for America to see just how much the Liberal press is trying to make news, and shape news rather (pardon pun) than just report the facts. If this doesn't wake people up, I don't know what will!

6. Flying Duck

Flying Duck Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Dan Rather is infallible. Just ask him. :dunno:

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Glenn Reynolds is 'rounding things up.' Links and links-with commentary from the WaPo article above:

http://instapundit.com/archives/017801.php

8. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    One would think that Rahter would just say,"I didn't know the docs were bad". Bernard Goldberg says he doesn't think he necessarily gave false docs on purpose,but definiltey love the meat of the story,which of course,in Rather's eyes,would bring Bush down. What a roundabout way of admitting your wrong. SOunds lame to me.

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I saw that Goldberg interview, and he also raised the point, that at some juncture in this Rather may have to reveal some kind of information or background on his source/sources. He stated further that this was proper journalistic protocol.

10. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

Wouldn't it be great if Rather had a meltdown on national TV with cursing, slobbering, shaking and loss of control of bodily functions? I can see him babbling to himself in the psychward "THe memos are real, wapner in 30 seconds, I'm a good driver, I get my underwear from k-mart, water burn baby!"