For all the Bush-bashers

Originally posted by Moi
You have an amazing ability to know what I would suggest to "do about terrorism" considering I have never put a word on these boards as to how I, if elected to congress or as President, would deal with terrorism. The "rhetoric" here seems to be your assertions that only certain people are responsible for the anti-americanism abroad. You have no basis for your statement. And, as for anti-americanism, you can certainly trace that back throughout the years as far back as WWI, if not further. If I'm not mistaken, neither I nor George W. Bush were in power at that time so it's clearly not correct to assume that "rhetoric like [mine]" had anything to do with anti-americanism's growth. Both sides share the burden of having fueled those fires. I believe that Jimmy Carter was president when hostages were taken in Iran...I don't think we can say that he was a liar just because he inherited a situation and dealt with it the best way he knew how.

If I did give a damn about what kind of people we're supporting, I sure as heck wouldn't just bury my head in the sand while my other end stuck out of the ground unprotected. I'd work within the system to change those things I believed needed changing. Show me world wide, where a decade of sanctions has worked to curb the terrorist behavior of a regime? Sometimes life is just a choice between the lesser of two evils. I don't believe in God but I know I am not God; I cannot waive my wand (or sceptor or whatever deities use these days) to make the world better. Ultimately being proved wrong is not the same thing as being a liar. And it's the classification of President Bush, congress and supporters of these current actions by the US as liars and hypocrites that I have responded to. I don't know whether the Iraqi's will be better off afterwards, but I think that guarantees are not the only reasons to enter a course of events. With that argument, we should have never fought the revolution...perhaps we should have just kept dumping tea in the water? No one would have died, but we may not now be free. Were I to have lived then, I would have taken the chance.

You wrote above: "The United States didn't cause the people of Iraq to breed a military dictator who punished his own citizens".

In fact we did to a large extent, and saying that we have no responsibility for it is exactly the sort of rhetoric that will infuriate the victims of US intervention in the Middle East.

Re: your statement: "If I did give a damn about what kind of people we're supporting, I sure as heck wouldn't just bury my head in the sand while my other end stuck out of the ground unprotected."

Just what do you think, then, of our support of Karimov, Atta Mohammed, Dostum, and Musharraf? It seems to me that concerning them we have our head in the sand with our ass sticking up unprotected.

:) Bush started on terrorism well, when he faught Taliban and bin Laden in Afghanistan. However, he made a big blunder enetring Iraq and exposing our troops to terrorist attack. Real weapons of mass destruction are those schoopls run by muslim clerics. They produce fresh supply of suicide bmobers. Bush missed his goal, because of lacking intelligence. Now, we scattered our troops where they are not needed, drained the budget and Alquada is gaining strength.

Originally posted by Sevendogs
:) Bush started on terrorism well, when he faught Taliban and bin Laden in Afghanistan. However, he made a big blunder enetring Iraq and exposing our troops to terrorist attack. Real weapons of mass destruction are those schoopls run by muslim clerics. They produce fresh supply of suicide bmobers. Bush missed his goal, because of lacking intelligence. Now, we scattered our troops where they are not needed, drained the budget and Alquada is gaining strength.

I'm not sure that we couldn't have bribed the Taliban to hand over Bin Laden, especially if we agreed to have him tried in an Islamic court. But them I'm not sure that getting Bin Laden was really the goal of invading Afghanistan.

New Topics

Forum List

Back