For All of You Who Love Words Like I Do...

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Some of the new words courtesy of Merriam-Webster.

pedestracebo (noun) : A button, placed at a crosswalk, that a pedestrian is instructed to push to make a traffic signal change so that they might cross the street, but that in fact, does nothing at all.
He repeatedly pressed the pedestracebo, to no avail.
Submitted by: Jim Davis from New Jersey on Apr. 30, 2007 16:36

destinesia (noun) : a disease in which one enters another room/area and forgets what they came for.
Although he marched angrily and purposefully into the room, the moment he stepped in from underneath the door, he had destinesia and forgot for what he had come.
Submitted by: Emiri from New York on Apr. 24, 2007 11:59

Garage Mahal (noun) : an extremely large house, similar to other houses in it’s area, with the primary distinguishing characteristic being an oversized 3 or 4 (or more) car garage to house the SUV’s, RV’s, and other family vehicles.
The Jones’ just moved into a Garage Mahal, so I guess we’re going to have to move, too.
Submitted by: Lorence Sing from Ohio on Jan. 06, 2006 14:09

Molassochist (noun) : One who derives pleasure from making processes painfully slow.
I went to the DMV today to get my licenses and the guy was such a Molassochist.
Submitted by: Mike Shryock from Georgia Us on Sep. 27, 2006 17:37

flatuglance (noun) : The glance given by someone who recognizes that someone in his or her’s presence has farted.
While on the elevator, he recognized someone’s flatuglance as he tried to determine who had passed gas. — Dallas Morning News, 2007
Submitted by: Kathryn from Texas on May. 02, 2007 14:09

gackle (noun) : Any piece of chicken which is unidentifiable as meat, skin, or bone.
George, a careful eater, always looked over his hot wings and chicken nuggets for unappetizing gackle. — Jack Jackson, Go Take a Nap!, 5/04 Submitted by: Jack Jackson from Nebraska on Nov. 30, 2006 15:06

impasta (noun) : When the waiter brings you a type of pasta that you did not order, or he/she has made a substitution without your knowledge.
“My penne somehow turned into ziti, I was served an impasta.”
Submitted by: bigbrain28 from Florida on Jan. 08, 2006 23:20

gesundtime (interjection) : The time between the moment you realize you are going to sneeze and the actual sneeze.
Ñ David Hamilton Baime, Old DynaTECH Web Site, 2005Submitted by: Murph on Apr. 13, 2007 14:49

doggage (noun) : a dog that is carried like or handled like baggage (Paris Hilton’s dog is doggage. Have you ever seen its legs touch the ground?)
Submitted by: Rhia Stone from New Zealand
Submitted by: Aaron Root on Feb. 10, 2006 13:13

flexitarian (noun) : A vegetarian who infrequently eats things that are not standard vegetarian fare (i.e. steak, chicken, fish, etc.)
She’s really more of a flexitarian than a vegetarian because she truly enjoys the occasional piece of fried chicken.
Submitted by: Jeremy W. from Massachusetts on Apr. 25, 2007 12:31

Bangalored (verb) : To have one’s job sent overseas
Nick was sad when his job was bangalored. — Young World,The Hindu
Submitted by: Hima Ravindran from India on Oct. 06, 2005 02:18

Garfunkely (adjective) : 1. Having hair that is seemingly too large for the body on which it exists. 2. (as a noun) An oversized wig.
Ñ David Hamilton Baime, Old DynaTECH Web Site, 2005Submitted by: Andy from Illinois on Mar. 14, 2007 10:14

dehydrophobic (noun) : One who is unreasonably afraid of dehydration or being thirsty.
She’s always carrying water around, she must be a dehydrophobic.
Submitted by: Dr. Walt Cailleteau from Texas on Apr. 23, 2007 15:54

counterstink (noun) : an odor used to mask another odor
The counterstink was more annoying than the odor it was intended to mask.
Submitted by: Zev Farkas from Israel

esgrapee (noun) : The lone grape that falls onto the floor and generally rolls to the most inaccessable location, as one opens the packaging in which the grapes are being stored.
I stepped on an esgrapee and slipped halfway across the kitchen.
Submitted by: Babz from Missouri on Nov. 26, 2006 17:04

phonesia (noun) : The affliction of dialing a phone number and forgetting whom you were calling just as they answer.
I was going to dial my friend, but at the last minute I got phonesia.
Submitted by: Meko from Alabama on Apr. 20, 2007 15:53

destinesia (noun) : a disease in which one enters another room/area and forgets what they came for.
Although he marched angrily and purposefully into the room, the moment he stepped in from underneath the door, he had destinesia and forgot for what he had come.
Submitted by: Emiri from New York on Apr. 24, 2007 11:59

That's brilliant!

Forum List

Back