For $21k Per Year You Can Be 'Educated'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I think I'll take a closer look at my kids' 'course offerings' lists. :smoke:

http://yaf.org/press/12_21_05.html

2. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    There's a lot worse offered at Michigan than this...

3. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    Ya know, college costs would go way down if the places of higher education would stop making people take courses that have nothing to do with the degree that you are trying to achieve. They force you to fork out more money to feed the giant.

example: I wanted to get my associates in business management and marketing. I registered, got in, and was in the middle of getting all the info on what courses were needed to complete the degree requirements. As I went down the list, I found only 85% of the courses required, actually pertained to business management. The rest had to be elective classes, including gym, theater/arts, science classes, as well as similar courses to the above mentioned. I decided to go ahead and do one semester, at least taking some of the useful computer classes. I then realized I was going to have to take a 2nd job, aside from my FT one just to pay for the excess, useless courses. I finished the one semester, because I already paid for it, then said screw it.

I didn't qualify for financial aid because apparently, my parents (dad & stepmom) made too much, even though I didn't live with them, and they were having a hard time making ends meet. I was out on my own (well, living with Tim but we weren't married yet), and had been for over a year. They basically told me they couldn't help me and to mooch off my parents.

I bet had I not been white, the story would have been way different.

4. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

Aside from gym, the other classes don't sound so bad. I have electives and fee electives not all of it is related to geography, but the majority of it is worth taking. As for the original list, I don't think many of those are offered. :D

5. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    my purpose of going to college was to get the degree in business/marketing. Why is gym class worth my money when I learned all I needed to know from high school? What use do I have in the business world, for units on basketball, bowling, etc? If I wanted to get an extended education in phys ed, or theater or art classes, I would have taken THAT route. It would have been a big waste of my time and money, because I was there for a specific education in a specific major. If you want to take the extra courses, fine, but they should not be a requirement if they have NOTHING in common or association in any way with what your major is. I felt cheated out of time and money, and ultimately a college degree, because I could not afford classes like this. I could have afforded it had these classes not been required.

6. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

I have a college diploma in business accounting, walking to the bar after class was the most exercise many of the student got in college. I never set foot in the place though. :D

7. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I don't know about bowling, but I think it is good to get a well-rounded liberal arts education, regardless of your major. You will never again get this good of a chance to expand your horizons. Plus, varied knowledge comes in very handy in business coversations and decision making, too.

8. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    im with kitten on this one.

Been saying this for years. A College is a business. They are in business to make money off of you. The longer they keep you there and the more they make you take, the more money they make. How do you think they justify charging up to $21k a year for some of these ridiculous schools when a college degree doesnt even guarantee you a job anymore.

Take for example, my course requirements for "Business Administration." As fuzzykitten said, Its about 85% business and the other 15 is useless crap. I can understand needing math and science. I'll even take a stretch at American and World history so long as the teachers dont try to rewrite it (which alot do nowadays). Why though do you need 4 classes in English Composition? Why do you need Integration of Knowledge? Why are 30+ credits of Liberal Studies (aka random bullshit) mandatory for graduation at most colleges?

Answer: $$$$

9. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Four may be too many, but I consider writing well to be an indispensable skill in any business career.

10. fuzzykitten99

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    ok, what could I learn in a theater class, that i didn't learn from actually BEING in plays and theater groups in high school? What could I learn from a gym class that hadn't been taught in HS that has anything at all to do with running a business or marketing something? I saw the syllibus of the theater 1 class that was one of the elective options, and it had the same stuff as my 11th grade acting/theater elective class, almost like it was copied.

you know what they wanted for just one elective gym class? $750. My intermediate level spreadsheet class and business law classes together didn't cost that much, and I learned more in those than I would have in the gym class with units in the following:
    swimming
    basketball
    general fitness
    track/field
    bowling
    the rest i can't remember, but I had gym nearly every year of my school life. I never learned anything they hadn't taught the year before. The only difference was the year, the teacher, and the actual activities we did. What could they teach me in college that couldn't be taught in elementary, middle, and high school?