Footnotes.. Compiling a reading list in order to better understand and comprehend

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Footnotes.. Compiling a reading list in order to better understand and comprehend

People read things and see footnotes. The footnoted quote is often interesting, so I wonder, do people here follow it up with a bit of research? Wouldn't researching a footnoted source lead to a reading list that expands knowledge of a particular subject involved? Wouldn't an intense sense of curiosity and an appetite for knowledge demand some further research of footnotes, in order to flush out a fuller context and gain a better understanding and comprehension of what is being learned?

Are people truly interested in informational sources used to back up theories and arguments? If so, what footnoted sources have you gone out of your way to find/buy/read? I usually compile a reading list from footnoted sources in order to better understand and increase my comprehension of a subject I care to argue and debate. What about you? Are you curious to participate or are you content to be truly passive in being spoon fed arguments without searching things out?

I ask because I think most people who use search engines are confusing what their searches are adding to in their knowledge of any given subject

People read things and see footnotes. The footnoted quote is often interesting, so I wonder, do people here follow it up with a bit of research? Wouldn't researching a footnoted source lead to a reading list that expands knowledge of a particular subject involved? Wouldn't an intense sense of curiosity and an appetite for knowledge demand some further research of footnotes, in order to flush out a fuller context and gain a better understanding and comprehension of what is being learned?

Are people truly interested in informational sources used to back up theories and arguments? If so, what footnoted sources have you gone out of your way to find/buy/read? I usually compile a reading list from footnoted sources in order to better understand and increase my comprehension of a subject I care to argue and debate. What about you? Are you curious to participate or are you content to be truly passive in being spoon fed arguments without searching things out?

I ask because I think most people who use search engines are confusing what their searches are adding to in their knowledge of any given subject

I do read the footnotes. In fact, I have nailed quite a bit based on footnotes. My favorite books have footnotes. I am a footnote lover. Feet on the other hand are necessary but ugly.

I think the only time a footnote piqued my interest enough to chase down the source was when I read Autobiography of a Yogi.
Yogi(1)?

(1) "friend of Mister Ranger and Boob Boo" - see Hanna-Barbera
I think the only time a footnote piqued my interest enough to chase down the source was when I read Autobiography of a Yogi.
What about Boo-Boo?
:slap: :slap:

Been a while since I scored a double Brotch-slap. :thup:

Yogi(1)?

(1) "friend of Mister Ranger and Boob Boo" - see Hanna-Barbera
What about Boo-Boo?
:slap: :slap:

Been a while since I scored a double Brotch-slap. :thup:

What about a double Scotch and Soda?

Forum List

Back