Footloose Redeux In Ohio

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
This is the high school dance photo that created an uproar in NE Ohio today....

dance_w400.jpg

Future dances are in jeopardy at one Northwest Ohio (Bellevue) high school, because pictures surfaced on the Bellevue Gazette's facebook page Monday evening of so-called “dirty dancing.”

Dances banned at Bellevue HS, for now

An editorial condemning the ban on future dances is here:

Ohio High School Bans Dances In Counter-Productive, Losing Battle | Death and Taxes

BTW, the school superintendent released a statement regarding the dance ban, in which she used truely regrettable grammar.

I feel that it is our obligation as an educational organization [organizations do not have emotions; people do] to teach our students ethical values, self respect and the [strike the "the", add "to", mebbe?] respect of others. I do not condone inappropriate dancing at our school sponsored dances and it will not be tolerated. We will work with our staff, students and parents to collaboratively provide an atmosphere free of inappropriate behavior at all of our school events, including school dances. All dances at Bellevue High School are suspended until all parties have worked together to set clear expectations for student behavior and enforce ["are prepared to enforce", mebbe?] the expectations so that all actions are in the best interest of our student body.

I sense the End Is Nigh when even school superintendents crafting press releases muck up basic grammar!

So anyways, I think the clothing was perfectly okay and the dance moves were perfectly okay. I don't see any reason to be upset with these kids.

What say you?

Last edited:
I'm glad I got the hell out of Ohio as soon as I graduated high school. Bellevue has always been a Footloose kind of place so the only thing that surprises me is they know how to upload pics.

• Banned
I'm glad I got the hell out of Ohio as soon as I graduated high school. Bellevue has always been a Footloose kind of place so the only thing that surprises me is they know how to upload pics.

It's not a burg I know much about, Curvey. So IYO, the kids did nothing wrong? I'm flabbergasted that the school superintendent suspended all dances, even the prom. I wonder what promise she'll extract from the kids to allow them to have one. Cannot get closer than 3 feet to any other person?

I have to say, I am bumfuddled. I had expected to see photos of girls with their tops off or something, the way everyone here is wringing their hands. We danced this way in the late 1960's, for God's sake.

Never underestimate the lengths that people will go to when given the slightest amout of authority over someone else.

It's not a burg I know much about, Curvey. So IYO, the kids did nothing wrong? I'm flabbergasted that the school superintendent suspended all dances, even the prom. I wonder what promise she'll extract from the kids to allow them to have one. Cannot get closer than 3 feet to any other person?

I have to say, I am bumfuddled. I had expected to see photos of girls with their tops off or something, the way everyone here is wringing their hands. We danced this way in the late 1960's, for God's sake.

The only thing they did wrong was be dumb enough to post the pics without an alias. Our economy has a lot to do with these forms of authoritarian overreactions. This psychological model has existed as far back as recorded history and can be seen in many cultures. When weather knocked out crops the elders would conclude the gods were not happy and they would look at areas of envy or confusion and arbitrarily assign a moral blame to explain the catastrophe. They believed repressing behaviors they personally did not like would appease the gods and bring the crops (economy) back on track.

I grew up near bellevue and there are seemingly endless places like it in the midwest. Boring, repressive, and God's subtle way of making hell on earth look apple pie cozy from a quick glance.

• Banned
Ohio is one strange state. Cleveland is a moral cesspool and yet three hours away, we have a thriving Amish community. Some of the poorest Americans in the country live in southern Ohio (Applachia) and evidentially, we have our fair share of sexual "freedom fighters".

These poor kids, especially the chicks. Broadcast nationwide as having behaved like sluts, and they did nothing wrong.

This is the high school dance photo that created an uproar in NE Ohio today....

dance_w400.jpg

Future dances are in jeopardy at one Northwest Ohio (Bellevue) high school, because pictures surfaced on the Bellevue Gazette's facebook page Monday evening of so-called “dirty dancing.”

Dances banned at Bellevue HS, for now

An editorial condemning the ban on future dances is here:

Ohio High School Bans Dances In Counter-Productive, Losing Battle | Death and Taxes

BTW, the school superintendent released a statement regarding the dance ban, in which she used truely regrettable grammar.

I feel that it is our obligation as an educational organization [organizations do not have emotions; people do] to teach our students ethical values, self respect and the [strike the "the", add "to", mebbe?] respect of others. I do not condone inappropriate dancing at our school sponsored dances and it will not be tolerated. We will work with our staff, students and parents to collaboratively provide an atmosphere free of inappropriate behavior at all of our school events, including school dances. All dances at Bellevue High School are suspended until all parties have worked together to set clear expectations for student behavior and enforce ["are prepared to enforce", mebbe?] the expectations so that all actions are in the best interest of our student body.

I sense the End Is Nigh when even school superintendents crafting press releases muck up basic grammar!

So anyways, I think the clothing was perfectly okay and the dance moves were perfectly okay. I don't see any reason to be upset with these kids.

What say you?

Would you be proud if this were your daughter?

• Banned
jeffrockit wrote:

What Mom or Dad wants to watch their daughter strut her stuff? What daughter dances at her first Homecoming dance with her new beau by studying on how best to shine up Mom and Dad?

Of course it would make me uncomfy to watch my child do this...which is why I think it is disgraceful these kids were made into a news item. But do I find anything objectionable in their dress or dance moves?

No.

Looks like perfectly acceptable, age-appropriate sexual preening to me.

What's it look like to you, jeffrockit?

Last edited:
jeffrockit wrote:

What Mom or Dad wants to watch their daughter strut her stuff? What daughter dances at her first Homecoming dance with her new beau by studying on how best to shine up Mom and Dad?

Of course it would make me uncomfy to watch my child do this...which is why I think it is disgraceful these kids were made into a news item. But do I find anything objectionable in their dress or dance moves?

No.

Looks like perfectly acceptable, age-appropriate sexual preening to me.

What's it look like to you, jeffrockit?

Looks like they are imitating a sexual position only with clothes on. Rubbing your rear end on a boys crotch.... how is that dancing?

Forum List

Back