Football's Biggest Hits

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
Nearly football season, and I've been on YouTube looking at memories. While there I saw this, which I remember from the Michigan / Penn State game at Happy Valley in 1997. To this day, it's the hardest hit I've ever seen live - Michigan's Daydrion Taylor on PSU's Bob Stephenson.

It was a game with National Championship implications, with both teams highly ranked (Michigan at #4, Penn State at #2).

Michigan ended up pulverizing Penn State 34-8 and went on to win the Rose Bowl and National Championship. The Michigan player (#2) who almost beats Taylor to the tackle is Charles Woodson, who won the Heisman that year.

Both Taylor and Stephenson were badly injured and though both recovered, neither ever played another down of football.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEccmg4JRbE]Hardest and Sickest Football Hit Ever - YouTube[/ame]

Anyone got a better one?

I don't know if its better, but it is my favorite.

This is Alabama linebacker Cornelius Bennett putting a hurtin on Notre Dame QB Steve Buerlein. Buerlein was a 5th year senior and later told reporters he had never been hit that hard in his entire playing career.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_p-UNbQsCE]The Sack - YouTube[/ame]

Michigan ended up pulverizing Penn State 34-8 and went on to win the Rose Bowl and National Championship.

They went on to win the Rose Bowl and end the season ranked second to my beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers.

It was a split vote. As I recall Michigan was National Champion based on the AP poll, while Nebraska overtook us after the bowl games to win the Coaches poll. Still remember a rather lucky win for Nebraska that year when they got a TD to win a game on a dropped pass that was saved from hitting the ground by a defender's foot. Ball flipped back into the air and a Nebraska receiver grabbed it.

I remember everyone in Michigan thinking we got robbed in the Coaches Poll because Tom Osborne retired, but in fairness Nebraska has a bigger bowl win than Michigan's that year (we beat Washington 20-16 in the Rose Bowl as I recall, though the score doesn't reflect how much better we were, but Nebraska had a very convincing win - can't remember who against but it was in the Orange Bowl), so that probably had something to do with it too.

Nice to play Nebraska every year now. Do you guys play Penn State this year? Be interesting to see what kind of team the Nittany Lions have. Their recruiting must be in the crapper right now.

Forum List

Back