Football or Soccer ?

I will just point out 2 things

- The term "soccer" was invented by the Europeans as a nickname for "association football". It is considered related to rugby, from which American Football is derived. The Australians also call it soccer as well since they have their own style of football, which resembles rugby a whole lot more than our version does.

- Handball cannot be used to describe American Football because it is already a sport. Played mostly in Europe. Used to even be an Olympic sport IIRC. I've heard our version called stuff like : gridiron football, american football, handegg, throwball etc.

Ultimately, doesn't really matter much. I use soccer when talking to non-fans and I use football when talking to avid ones. There is little to no confusion that way.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

One sport involves throwing and catching a ball and protecting the ball with your hands.

The other sport involves kicking the ball and use of hands is strictly prohibited.

Which one sounds like it should be called football?

Are you saying Americans are easily confused? Speak for yourself. After the Redskins are taken care of, the NFL should be made to change their name to the National Handball League. :D

The redskin name is staying, and so is the name football.

if you don't like it you can go fuck yourself.
:)

I say we change the Washington Redskins to the Washington Whiteskins... or even the Washington Paleskins better. :eusa_clap:

Maybe the Foreskins?

I heard them still speaking about the name the Redskin this morning. I have a lots of natives as friends. And they all likes it when they are being recognized as something of greatness. I know that the word half breed in the days were offensive to the natives that were mixed with another culture. But they love being referred as Red bone which it is another word for Half breed in the south.

Forum List

Back