Football mystery at troubled school

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Bradenton Preparatory Academy owes back pay to some teachers, lost its campus to foreclosure and does not have a permit to operate a school.

And yet, the financially strapped private school, now known as the Prep Learning Academy, still has a football team that has played games in Texas and New Orleans and has another scheduled in Minnesota. Beyond that, the team's roster includes players that have already graduated from local high schools.

The mystery over what happened, and is happening, at the academy continued to roil this week after classes started Monday in a church, and a security officer and barbed wire guarded the school's possible new location in a former retail plaza in Bradenton. On Tuesday, the entire student body took a field trip because there is nowhere to teach classes.

The revelation about the traveling football team has outraged former teachers who say they are owed as much as $25,000 in back pay.

The once-prestigious school faces a series of financial and regulatory problems that would seem to put its existence in doubt. The school lost its campus in July after it stopped making payments on a $4.1 million loan it borrowed from GTE Federal Credit Union in 2004. It owes more than $1 million in federal taxes, according to liens dating to 2007, has not paid a number of other creditors, and is being sued by parents who want tuition refunds.

The school is renting a storefront on Cortez Road but has no permit to teach students there.

Football mystery just one among many at troubled Bradenton Prep | HeraldTribune.com

This is one of the weirdest stories I've read in a long time. I didn't know whether to post it in "Education" "Sports", or RELIGION!!!!!! :eek:

This is one of the weirdest stories I've read in a long time. I didn't know whether to post it in "Education" "Sports", or RELIGION!!!!!! :eek:

Perhaps we need a Fools Seperated from Their Money sub-forum for parents that send their kids here for $10,000/yr.

There are plenty of sports enthusiasts that believe that is the primary purpose of schools. I'm curious whether any of these graduates have gotten into the NFL.

How many college football players can't even read? I've met a few. Lol

There are plenty of sports enthusiasts that believe that is the primary purpose of schools. I'm curious whether any of these graduates have gotten into the NFL.

How many college football players can't even read? I've met a few. Lol

Florida....who the heck knows why they do what they do....:confused:

Forum List

Back