Football Games Have 11 Minutes of "Action"

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
But there are 3 games on Sunday so you get the big 33 minutes for the 9+ hour "investment" you make in front of the TV.
Football Games Have 11 Minutes of Action - WSJ.com
In other words, if you tally up everything that happens between the time the ball is snapped and the play is whistled dead by the officials, there's barely enough time to prepare a hard-boiled egg. In fact, the average telecast devotes 56% more time to showing replays. So what do the networks do with the other 174 minutes in a typical broadcast? Not surprisingly, commercials take up about an hour.
Those in game commercials are the worst too!

But there are 3 games on Sunday so you get the big 33 minutes for the 9+ hour "investment" you make in front of the TV.
In other words, if you tally up everything that happens between the time the ball is snapped and the play is whistled dead by the officials, there's barely enough time to prepare a hard-boiled egg. In fact, the average telecast devotes 56% more time to showing replays. So what do the networks do with the other 174 minutes in a typical broadcast? Not surprisingly, commercials take up about an hour.

Speaking of commercials, nfl.com is the worst. When I'm not watching games, I'll sometimes keep a tab open so I can check scores. I'll be watching something on youtube or hulu and all of a sudden a commercial on nfl.com kicks in and you can't mute it. So I end up closing the site and reopening it over and over just to check the scores. SUCKS!!!

So....Soccer has no action
A while back I was watching an NFL game on Armed Forces Network with a British guy. His only comment was: "Seems like it's a lot of: Start-Stop. Start-Stop".

I thought that was a pretty astute observation.

Speaking of commercials, nfl.com is the worst. When I'm not watching games, I'll sometimes keep a tab open so I can check scores. I'll be watching something on youtube or hulu and all of a sudden a commercial on nfl.com kicks in and you can't mute it. So I end up closing the site and reopening it over and over just to check the scores. SUCKS!!!

If you have a smart phone download nfl mobile. No ads and you can keep track of everygame. I think even listen to the radio calls free..

I was a huge football fan my entire life. Then I moved to Europe. Now when I am back in the States and try to watch a game, it is very slow. All commercials. When I played football, it was a fast game.

It seems to be getting harder and harder for football games to be worked around the commercials instead of the other way around.

New Topics

Forum List

Back