Food!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Man, it seems my grocery bill keeps getting higher and higher every single time I go to the store.

How much do you spend on groceries in a week?

I'm trying to cut down on certain things, but it still is hurting my piggy bank.

:(

We stopped eating, we can't afford it.

Just buying Milk, Eggs, Bread can cost you $10 bucks. God forbid you want organic milk it's $4.59 a half gallon! Whole wheat bread is $3.39. Eggs were $2.29.

So in order to afford food you have to cut back on healthy products. A loaf of white doughy wonder bread with no nutritional value whatsoever was on sale for 99 cents.

It cost so much more money to eat right.

Poor = fat and unhealthy

We stopped eating, we can't afford it.

Just buying Milk, Eggs, Bread can cost you $10 bucks. God forbid you want organic milk it's $4.59 a half gallon! Whole wheat bread is $3.39. Eggs were $2.29.

So in order to afford food you have to cut back on healthy products. A loaf of white doughy wonder bread with no nutritional value whatsoever was on sale for 99 cents.

It cost so much more money to eat right.

Poor = fat and unhealthy

Those words I bolded are so true, and such a shame.

In the LONG run, eating right IS cheaper.

After you've eaten a nutritious meal, you'll much less likely to want to gnosh an hour later because your body is satiated.

Throw in the fact that the food you've eaten isn't slowly poisoning you, and the long term consequences are very beneficial.

Don't BUY preprepared foods! They've got too much salt, they're usually ramped up with sugars, they're too expensive and they're lacking in real nutrition compared to the same think you made from scratch.

I buy a lot of food every week, and I a demon comparison shopper, too.

The price of milk has dropped nearly a buck a gallon in the last few months.

I note the price of bread is also declining. Progresso Soups (which had gone up 33% in one year) are all on sale now.

I'm seeing things on sale all over the food pyrimid (exception? bananas!)

CRAP food (cookies, crackers, candy, icecream and the like) continues to remain higher in price, but I see some pressure on the pricing of that stuff, too.

I'm 58 years old. I eat whatever I want whenever I want it, and as much as I want.

I have the same waist size I had in high school, folks. That's right, I weigh the same I weighed then, and I was in great shape then, too.

I never excercise.

When we eat junk food, our bodies crave more junk food.

When you get used to not eating crap, your body doesn't crave crap.

Learn to cook for crimminies sakes, folks.

Convenience foods are usually crap.

Buy more expensive foods and in the long run, your food bills will go down.

But good bread, not cheap bread, for example.

Good bread has protiens and nutrients and mineral you need, and cheap bread has starch and pretty much nothing else except the crap they inject into it which you body really can't metabolize.

Last edited:
i think she may be referring more to fruits and veggie prices..its hard to keep fresh fruit with apples at 1.69 a lb and bananas at 67 cents a lb...(and they turn so fast) have you looked at winter squash....1.26 a lb...sweet taters are 97 cents a lb...its just so high for the family to manage when buying milk...the staples are high and the fresh foods are high....flour/lard/beans have gone up too...its just not cheap to eat

i think she may be referring more to fruits and veggie prices..its hard to keep fresh fruit with apples at 1.69 a lb and bananas at 67 cents a lb...(and they turn so fast) have you looked at winter squash....1.26 a lb...sweet taters are 97 cents a lb...its just so high for the family to manage when buying milk...the staples are high and the fresh foods are high....flour/lard/beans have gone up too...its just not cheap to eat

Yeah, I understand.

Fruit and veggies don't seem to be coming down in price that much, I agree. Beef also seems high and without much decrease.

I'm not saying the problem is over, merely that I'm seeing the prices leveling off and in some cases going down.

Much of this probably has to do with the decreasing cost of energy, I assume.

Yeah, I understand.

Fruit and veggies don't seem to be coming down in price that much, I agree. Beef also seems high and without much decrease.

I'm not saying the problem is over, merely that I'm seeing the prices leveling off and in some cases going down.

Much of this probably has to do with the decreasing cost of energy, I assume.

Maybe it has something to do with what part of the country you are in also. I don't see prices levelling off here at all! I see them rising. The only thing that's getting cheaper is sugary cereal --probably because no one will buy it...they can't give the crap away!

Man, it seems my grocery bill keeps getting higher and higher every single time I go to the store.

How much do you spend on groceries in a week?

I'm trying to cut down on certain things, but it still is hurting my piggy bank.

:(

One word, my friend. PANCAKES. They're cheap and SO good.

Prices should be down a bit right now with the deflationary pressures we're seeing.

This will be short lived though, and whatever prices are down or still coming down, will be back up within a year.

Basically, when you start seeing that banks are lending and the economy is "improving", then you know prices will come back up.

Stock up now on cheap items that you can store long term.

Maybe it has something to do with what part of the country you are in also. I don't see prices levelling off here at all! I see them rising. The only thing that's getting cheaper is sugary cereal --probably because no one will buy it...they can't give the crap away!

Actually I'm seeing that, too.

I tend to buy much the same food week after week. Perhaps I'm merely lucky, but many of the staples that I'm buying, staples that went up alarmingly in the last year or so, seem to be coming down somewhat.

Not a low as they were say a year ago, but lower than they were last month.

Forum List

Back