Food Stamps: Just say no to sugary soda

The government has taken TRILLIONS from us for things that have helped NO ONE.

At the very least, people who can not afford food deserve to eat nicely when it comes time to get something back from the taxes they've paid into.

I don't agree with the taxes spent on Iraq, and I didn't get a damn thing out of that.

Feeding hungry people is the LEAST of my tax concerns in this country.

I disagree with nothing you said.
However I again say how that tax money is spent is up to lobbyists and congress.
And we are not really entitled to any of it unless some law says we are and even then laws can be changed at any time.

Pondering US Citizen's claims on this thread regarding special interests, I ran across an interesting piece from last year, that predicted that people were possibly about to start what he saw as a fourth revolution of our original revolution. It's quite interesting:

The Coming of the Fourth American Republic — The American, A Magazine of Ideas

The Coming of the Fourth American Republic

By James V. DeLong Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Filed under: Big Ideas, Culture, Government & Politics
The Special Interest State that has shaped American life for 70 years is dying. What comes next is uncertain, but there are grounds for optimism.

The United States has been called the oldest nation in the world, in the sense that it has operated the longest without a major upheaval in its basic institutional structure.

From one perspective, this characterization is fair. The nation still rests on the Constitution of 1787, and no other government can trace its current charter back so far. Since then, France has had a monarchy, two empires, and five republics. England fudges by never writing down its constitutional arrangements, but the polity of Gordon I is remote from that of George III. China’s political convolutions defy summary.

Shift the angle of vision and the continuity is less clear, because we have had two upheavals so sweeping that the institutional arrangements under which we now operate can fairly be classified as the Third American Republic. Furthermore, this Third Republic is teetering (these things seem to run in cycles of about 70 years) and is on the edge of giving way to a revised Fourth Republic with arrangements as yet murky to our present-bound perceptions.

This prediction should be seen as optimistic, not pessimistic, despite the stresses the transition puts on those of us standing on the ice as it cracks. At the risk of practicing “Whig history”—a term applied to the interpretation of history as a story of progress toward the enlightened present—the infelicities of the Third Republic grow tedious, and reform is needed to clear space for the progress of American, and world, civilization.

Understanding the current upheaval is aided by a brief description of the earlier ones...

The End of the Third Republic

This Third Republic has had a good run. It was wobbling in the late 1970s, but got bailed out by a run of good luck—Reagan; the fall of the USSR; the computer and information revolution; the rise of the Asian Tigers and the “BRICs”; the basic dynamism and talent of the American people—that kept the bicycle moving and thus upright.

It could continue. It is characteristic of political arrangements that they go on long after an observer from Mars might think that surely their defects are so patent that they have exhausted their capacity for survival. Besides, as the Declaration of Independence counsels, “Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.” The culture, the people, are astonishingly creative and productive, and may demonstrate a capacity to keep the bicycle moving faster than the demands of the Special Interest State can throw sand in the gears.

But it is more likely that the Special Interest State has reached a limit...

Forum List

Back