Food Stamps: Just say no to sugary soda

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010
I think that his is a good move. NYC is asking that food stamps no longer cover sugary soda. They are NOT saying that you cannot have sugary soda but that you just cannot buy them with food stamps.

New York City and state officials want the U.S. Department of Agriculture to ban the use of food stamps to buy sugary soft drinks for two years to curb obesity- related diseases among the city’s poor.

Sugar-sweetened beverages are “the largest single contributor to the obesity epidemic,” Governor David Paterson and Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a joint statement in advance of a City Hall news briefing today. Obesity is almost twice as prevalent among the city’s poorest households as in the wealthiest, they said.

The state’s office for disability assistance intends to ask the USDA to exclude the drinks from the list of items that can be purchased with food stamps, a welfare program that started in 1964, the statement said. The ban, requested by both the state and local governments, would affect only the city.

New York Will Ask Obama to Bar Food Stamps in Purchase of Sugary Drinks - Bloomberg

Last edited:
Food stamps are not a right but a privilege. You do not earn Food stamps they are given to you. If my taxes are paying for your food then it damned well should be food.

Can we bring the British back please? We have more basic freedoms as British colonists than we do now

unless you were female or black. :)

i'm not sure what the big deal is about government not paying for garbage that has no nutritional value. if we're going to provide food, which i have no problem doing for people in need, then don't you think it should actually have a value?

• Banned
Can we bring the British back please? We have more basic freedoms as British colonists than we do now

unless you were female or black. :)

i'm not sure what the big deal is about government not paying for garbage that has no nutritional value. if we're going to provide food, which i have no problem doing for people in need, then don't you think it should actually have a value?

I agree, this is a good first step.

Food stamps are not a right but a privilege. You do not earn Food stamps they are given to you. If my taxes are paying for your food then it damned well should be food.

Shut the fuck up..

A lot of people who receive food stamps also PAY TAXES.

They deserve a say in their taxes in that case even more so than you do, especially when it's going in their body and not yours.

Why do you mother fuckers ignore this fact? Why do you think only YOU get to have a say in tax dollars, just because you're not collecting benefits? Many of those people bust their asses for very little money, and then get their paychecks cut down with taxes as well, but only YOU get to have a say in it?

Where the fuck do you come up with this logic?

Shut the fuck up..

They deserve a say in their taxes in that case even more so than you do, especially when it's going in their body and not yours.

Why do you mother fuckers ignore this fact? Why do you think only YOU get to have a say in tax dollars, just because you're not collecting benefits? Many of those people bust their asses for very little money, and then get their paychecks cut down with taxes as well, but only YOU get to have a say in it?

No one is suggesting that they CANT have sugary soda.

Shut the fuck up..

While I probably would have left out the f word, you said this well. I was trying to think of how to respond, considering that pop is wasted calories. On the other hand, seems to me that people should be able to choose what food they want.

I'm quite surprised that the mayor doesn't say that the city's nutritionists will prepare quality meals for anyone on stamps. Heck, these folks probably eat too much mac n' cheese too. Perhaps the city can just buy soy products, veggies, and cheese from warehouses for these people, why stop at pop?

Shut the fuck up..

Oh my god syrenn, we've been over this a fucking million times. I know you are saying you don't care if it's with their own money, i FUCKING GET IT.

Tell me why you are the only one who gets to have a say in how tax dollars are spent.

Why does someone who pays taxes themselves not get to have a say in what they do with their food stamp benefits they receive from taxes THEY'VE PAID INTO?

This is my bottom line and my last word on this damn subject..

I've paid my fair share of taxes in my working lifetime.

If I ever have the unfortunate circumstance in my life where I have to rely on food stamp benefits, I'm fucking eating what the fuck I want.

No one is going to tell me what I can and can't do with food stamp benefits that my OWN tax dollars have paid into.

You can come pry a can of "surgary soda" out of my cold dead hands.

Shut the fuck up..

Oh my god syrenn, we've been over this a fucking million times. I know you are saying you don't care if it's with their own money, i FUCKING GET IT.

Tell me why you are the only one who gets to have a say in how tax dollars are spent.

Why does someone who pays taxes themselves not get to have a say in what they do with their food stamp benefits they receive from taxes THEY'VE PAID INTO?

It would seem as if i am not the only one who thinks that this is a good idea. We went over it before as something that was MY opinion. It would seem as if the idea of putting holds on junk food, soda in this case, is not just MY opinion any more.

I don't care what they do with THEIR OWN MONEY. They can buy gallons of sugary soda and drown in it as far as i am concerned. Food stamps are not "their own money" so to speak.

It will be interesting to see where this goes issue goes.

RE: Paulie's Post ~ another PRIME candidate for Iggy... :lol:

HEY! They heard us all bitching up a storm, here, on USMB!!!

WE DO HAVE THE POWER!!!

:rofl:

I'm in agreement about the snack foods ~ there are PLENTY of healthier alternatives, and when someone is "making the lunch" by footing the bill, I'm down with the "He-Who-PAYS,-SAYS" thang!

Last edited:

It would seem as if i am not the only one who thinks that this is a good idea. We went over it before as something that was MY opinion. It would seem as if the idea of putting holds on junk food, soda in this case, is not just MY opinion any more.

I don't care what they do with THEIR OWN MONEY. They can buy gallons of sugary soda and drown in it as far as i am concerned. Food stamps are not "their own money" so to speak.

It will be interesting to see where this goes issue goes.

Then why stop at pop? Snack food in general is high calorie/low nutrition. Meat isn't all that good for people, so why not limit food stamps to no red meat and x number of oz. per person, per week? Of course could have the stamps coded to make sure there are enough servings of vegs/fruits to fit the new food pyramid. Only skim milk allowed. White flour isn't as good for people as whole wheat, so limit the ration perhaps at 5:1? Coffee? No way, even decaffeinated isn't nutritional. Oh the fun we could have making people eat, drink what the government thinks is good for them.

Shut the fuck up..

I know several people who get food stamps. None of them pay income taxes. The logic is simple. You get food stamps for food, you purchase food with them. You know something with a nutritional value. You do not earn food stamps, they are a gift from your friends and neighbors.

Forum List

Back