Food Stamp outrage

1. My plan saves FS cost by segregating FS recipients to food banks where the entire cost of food can't be spent on top shelf frozen pizzas and doritos. Face it, FS recipients who depend on public taxes for food should not expect caviar and Kobe beef for dinner. Ever. This goes for soda, cakes, lea and perrins Worcestershire sauce, and other top shelf shit that doesn't stretch this CHARITY as far as it can go.

2. My plan saves money by filtering out drug users REGARDLESS of your dour opinion of the drug tests. A 100 dollar test that saves 10 fucking dollars over 10 months is a win. Believe it or not, if you can't suport your family then you have no business smoking pot. Harsh reality, I know.

It's not going to happen anyway. You'll never see food stamp applicants taking a piss test. Cost too much.

Gotta go out and get my tip jar filled up. I'm not depending on it at the moment, as that tip jar paid my house off a while back. Love my tip jar.

:lol:

Let's hope your busking is better than your ability to search google.

Texas Tightening Food Stamp Eligibility by Requiring Drug Testing

[Posted 01/22/2009] Texas is implementing requirements for drug testing as of September, 2009, that focus on food stamp eligibility. HB354 puts in effect several steps to look at drug-related offenses prior to applying for food stamps and to monitor for drug use once accepted into the program.
Texas Tightening Food Stamp Eligibility by Requiring Drug Testing

Drug tests sought for those getting assistance

An Eastern Panhandle lawmaker is attempting to craft a bill for the 2009 legislative session that would require anyone on welfare, food stamps or unemployment benefits to undergo random drug testing.

Under the tentative plan in mind by Delegate Craig Blair, R-Berkeley, it would be two strikes and you’re out.

“It’s pretty simple,” Blair said Monday, when asked why he is pursuing such legislation in West Virginia.

“If you go out here and want a good job, most of the time, we have to sign off and say, ‘Hey, it’s OK, I submit to random drug testing on the job. That’s part of the deal you make whenever you get a job. It’s sort of crazy, in my opinion, and I think in the general public’s opinion, when they’re on the dole with the state, we’re subsidizing their income one way or another, that they don’t have to submit to the same thing.”

Blair wants to compel anyone collecting food stamps, welfare checks or jobless benefits to submit to random testing. If the first test proves positive, under his proposal, a second one would be mandatory in two months, allowing the recipient that much time to clean up his act, or face a cutoff of government relief.
The Register-Herald, Beckley, West Virginia - Drug tests sought for those getting assistance

oh, and for both of you..

Businesses, police fight food stamp trafficking

PUBLISHED: 02/17/2009

Last Sunday, a man in a hooded sweatshirt stood outside the Aldi grocery store on Franklin Avenue attempting to receive cash for his federally assisted food supplements, colloquially known as food stamps.

This is a familiar sight outside many grocery stores in the city, and has posed a problem for Minneapolis police for years.

“I’ve spent 12-and-a-half years on the street, and I can tell you that it’s nothing new,” Minneapolis police Sgt. Bill Palmer said.

Beth Lanis, a cashier at Aldi and University of Minnesota alumna, said she sees illegal food stamp transactions occur almost every day.

“They talk to people, kind of hustle them a little bit,” Lanis said.

Catching and prosecuting Electronic Benefits Transaction (EBT) — the electronic form of food stamps — trafficking can be extremely difficult for store employees. Lanis said the cashiers have to actually see the transaction take place between the two parties to officially report abuse to the Department of Agriculture.

Most trafficking occurs between three and six o’clock, a store’s busy hours, because that is when there is the most traffic outside of the store, Lanis said.

In 2004, all 50 states phased out physical food stamps and switched to EBT to increase efficiency and effectiveness of program operations for both administrators and recipients.

People sell funds in front of stores, and offer to go into the store and buy groceries for an incoming customer. Once purchased, the EBT beneficiaries sell the groceries to the customer for cash.

Food stamp benefits can only be redeemed for food or seeds .

In the past, traffickers that received food stamp benefits physically sold their paper stamps for a discounted amount of cash.

Unfortunately for police, the switch to the EBT card hasn’t stopped welfare fraud.

Paul Feeney, general counsel for the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), says the OIG does plenty of investigating into EBT fraud . Food stamp benefits account for more than $40 billion of the federal budget annually, according to the OIG’s semiannual report to Congress.

Last February, the OIG testified before the House of Representatives, and called for greater controls over the regulation and distribution of subsidized food benefits.

People receiving food assistance through the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly the Food Stamp Program, receive a set amount of benefits every month.

In order to receive food stamps, a person or family must be below the poverty threshold defined by the U.S. Census Bureau. The poverty threshold for an unmarried person with no children is $10,301, while a four-person family must make less than $22,207 per year in order to receive food stamp benefits.

People pushing EBT benefits are willing to pay as low as half-price for goods, Frederick Gibbs, a security guard at Aldi, said.

“People come in and say, ‘it’s my money, and I want cash for it’,” Gibbs said. “People may have all the food they need for the month, and they can’t redeem food stamps for cash, so they have to get that money somehow.”

While Aldi employs a security guard that watches for illegal activity in and around the store, it’s often not possible for Gibbs and cashiers to always be vigilant about food stamp trafficking.

“It’s not like we can stop them,” Lanis said. “It’s none of our business; I guess that’s our policy."

Businesses, police fight food stamp trafficking | mndaily.com - Serving the University of Minnesota Since 1900

:thup:

Clean out kits are iffy because they change the tests so frequently to try to stay on top of them.

And I know people are good at faking. If they're really committed, they'll get it done. Which is why it's so idiotic to require it of fs recipients. It's just a huge expense and bother that will do nothing but drain the benefits that should be going to people, and not make any difference. I mean, how are you improving things to just cut drug users and their kids completely out of the system? Will this somehow make it more likely the kids will grow up to be more functional?

Hardly, because their parents will be using THEIR piss from a young age, and/or just selling them on the street for money.

1. My plan saves FS cost by segregating FS recipients to food banks where the entire cost of food can't be spent on top shelf frozen pizzas and doritos. Face it, FS recipients who depend on public taxes for food should not expect caviar and Kobe beef for dinner. Ever. This goes for soda, cakes, lea and perrins Worcestershire sauce, and other top shelf shit that doesn't stretch this CHARITY as far as it can go.

2. My plan saves money by filtering out drug users REGARDLESS of your dour opinion of the drug tests. A 100 dollar test that saves 10 fucking dollars over 10 months is a win. Believe it or not, if you can't suport your family then you have no business smoking pot. Harsh reality, I know.

Explain to me, genius, how preventing fs recipients from buying pizza reduces fs costs? That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Tell me how that $100 dollar test saves $10 dollars over 10 months. Explain it. You can't, because it's a figment of your fucking imagination.

Well whdda ya know, Texas is planning to drug test. I guess we'll see how well this works, if Texas ever actually test. It'll be interesting to see who sues over this and if the first test is ever administered.

Explain to me, genius, how preventing fs recipients from buying pizza reduces fs costs? That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Tell me how that $100 dollar test saves $10 dollars over 10 months. Explain it. You can't, because it's a figment of your fucking imagination.

Now, I know that neither one of us are Math experts but.. uh... if you can buy 3 top shelf pizzas for 15 bucks OR 15 days worth of lunchmeat for the same amount... gosh, baba... maybe I need a calculator..

And, again, math genius, if the cost of a drug test (100) kicks someone OFF OF THE FUCKING FOOD STAMP SYSTEM FOR TEN FUCKING MONTHS THEN MOIRE MONEY HAS BEEN SAVED THAN SPENT, RIGHT? Good fucking grief, baba. I was even being GENEROUS with how much could be saved. Who the fuck only gets 10 bucks per month? Now, If a 100 dollar piss test removes someone who gets 500 fucking dollars a MONTH then lets do a little math, shall we?

10 (months) * 500 (FS spent) = 5000

5000 - 100 (drug test) = 49000 SAVED in 10 months by removing a single individual drug user from the FS roster.

It's beyond fucking retarded that you can't do this math for yourself.

Well whdda ya know, Texas is planning to drug test. I guess we'll see how well this works, if Texas ever actually test. It'll be interesting to see who sues over this and if the first test is ever administered.

I posted articles from 2 states, holmes.

Un huh.....and WV is talking about testing. There's a lot of talk. I get dumb ass chain e mails about this from time to time.

Texas looks like the guiena pig. We'll see how it works out.

Well what do you know, looks like Michigan tried this stupid idea a while back and guess what ? LAWSUIT. It was found to be unconstitutional.

This is going nowhere.

Un huh.....and WV is talking about testing. There's a lot of talk. I get dumb ass chain e mails about this from time to time.

Texas looks like the guiena pig. We'll see how it works out.

Indeed.. now, did you want to amend some of your previous statements about how we'll never see drug tests applied to food stamps?

Everything starts out as talk, you know.

Well what do you know, looks like Michigan tried this stupid idea a while back and guess what ? LAWSUIT. It was found to be unconstitutional.

This is going nowhere.

lawsuits can be overturned. Asking leaches of the state to participate in an activity that employees require of employees is no disruption of the 4th amendment.

hey, maybe the next time the tax paying base of America has some good will to shell out we should hunt down the legal expertise of... thats right. a busker.

You're not going to see drug testing as part of Welfare or food stamps. It has been tried, it failed.

The ACLU sued on behalf of all Michigan welfare recipients, and U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts issued a restraining order to stop the testing, saying it likely violated the Fourth Amendment's protection against unreasonable search and seizure.

A three-judge panel of the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals reversed Roberts' decision in October, saying the program was based on a legitimate need to protect the children of recipients and the public. But on Wednesday, the full court changed course and affirmed Roberts' ruling.

Yes, there have been test, yes they were done away with. This will never stick, you're not going to see drug test beyond a few idiots, from time to time, trying this stupid idea.,

This is going nowhere.

lawsuits can be overturned. Asking leaches of the state to participate in an activity that employees require of employees is no disruption of the 4th amendment.

hey, maybe the next time the tax paying base of America has some good will to shell out we should hunt down the legal expertise of... thats right. a busker.

So, you're starting from the premise of overturning this ruling ? Seems that the courts agree with the other posters here. And the busker.

I'm sure you understand that the work place has an entirely different set of rules ?

Busking is the most fun you can have and still get paid !
(and handsomely, I might add, if you're as talented and good looking as I am).

You're not going to see drug testing as part of Welfare or food stamps. It has been tried, it failed.

The ACLU sued on behalf of all Michigan welfare recipients, and U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts issued a restraining order to stop the testing, saying it likely violated the Fourth Amendment's protection against unreasonable search and seizure.

A three-judge panel of the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals reversed Roberts' decision in October, saying the program was based on a legitimate need to protect the children of recipients and the public. But on Wednesday, the full court changed course and affirmed Roberts' ruling.

Yes, there have been test, yes they were done away with. This will never stick, you're not going to see drug test beyond a few idiots, from time to time, trying this stupid idea.,

if your predictions are as solid as your ability to use google...

Besides, how many OTHER issues have we seen voleyed back and forth in the courts that stil end up seeing the light of day? Gay marriage comes to ming. By all means, let this come to a vote, in this economic day and age, and you'll see just how useful are your predictions.

Now get back on the stage and play some freebird!

This is going nowhere.

So, you're starting from the premise of overturning this ruling ? Seems that the courts agree with the other posters here. And the busker.

I'm sure you understand that the work place has an entirely different set of rules ?

Busking is the most fun you can have and still get paid !
(and handsomely, I might add, if you're as talented and good looking as I am).

Indeed, again, a single court decision is not written in stone. If you think that Roberts's decision is the period at the end of this issue then I guess you have a few things to learn about legal history.

I'm sure you understand that the application of the 4th amendment in this case was a total farce, eh?

dude, I've seen your pics on your webpage. You must have lightening fast arpeggios and perfect pitch to make up for that profile.

I only give you shit about busking because I live in a college town and have a lot of musician friends who do the same thing. While I have the utmost respect for performing musicians I have to say that theirs is not the most legalistic minds out in the world.

Besides, how many OTHER issues have we seen voleyed back and forth in the courts that stil end up seeing the light of day? Gay marriage comes to ming. By all means, let this come to a vote, in this economic day and age, and you'll see just how useful are your predictions.

Well, it seems you are fighting ther other common sense posters here AND the courts. Your argument has a long way to go. Get back to us when have a leg to stand on.

And sorry, don't do free bird. I'm a writer and story teller. I'm going to tell a good one on you tonight. You've already contributed to my pay. Keep the material coming !

Well, it seems you are fighting ther other common sense posters here AND the courts. Your argument has a long way to go. Get back to us when have a leg to stand on.

And sorry, don't do free bird. I'm a writer and story teller. I'm going to tell a good one on you tonight. You've already contributed to my pay. Keep the material coming !

Brother you might just find that you leap into an actual tax paying bracket with all the material I give away for free. Stick around.

like I said, 2 states are in the works. In this economic climate im pretty sure that very few Americans are interested in letting leaches of the state spend food money on drugs.

Brother you might just find that you leap into an actual tax paying bracket with all the material I give away for free. Stick around.

like I said, 2 states are in the works. In this economic climate im pretty sure that very few Americans are interested in letting leaches of the state spend food money on drugs.

I'm not sure what my job has to do with any of this, except you can't debate without getting personal. Suffice to say I make enough money and move enough merchandise to have a modest tax liability and no emploter to match my SS.

And like I said, when "in the works" makes it's way to "working" you have a point. Until then, you're blowing smoke. It's been tried, it failed. The courts are against you and the posters here are too. No one wants their tax dollars spent on dope but sadly, it happens. We don't want a bunch of control freaks and micro managers added to the list of people fleecing those tax dollars.

I'd also like to know how being forced to set up food banks in sufficient capacity to cover everyone on food stamps is going to reduce costs. Yeah, because the storage space and personnel and overhead aren't going to be a huge expansion of operating costs. :cuckoo:

As it stands now, you have the administration that serves for food stamps as well as Medicaid and TANF. All those other expenses are left up to the supermarkets, who were going to do it anyway.

Forum List

Back