Food Stamp outrage

MalibuMan

Aug 27, 2008
Lebanon Ohio
Should well-off jobless get food stamps? | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com

County Administrator Dave Gully says the county’s Human Services employees were upset because they recently were required to issue $500 a month in food stamps to a person who has lost their job, but has $80,000 in the bank, lives in a $300,000 house that is paid off, and drives a new Mercedes.

The family qualifies under a special federal category called “Categorical Eligibility," according to a memo Gully sent to commissioners. Other local families in similar situations also have qualified for food stamps this way, Gully says.

Total Crap. This is total Bullshit.

County Administrator Dave Gully says the county’s Human Services employees were upset because they recently were required to issue $500 a month in food stamps to a person who has lost their job, but has $80,000 in the bank, lives in a $300,000 house that is paid off, and drives a new Mercedes.

The family qualifies under a special federal category called “Categorical Eligibility," according to a memo Gully sent to commissioners. Other local families in similar situations also have qualified for food stamps this way, Gully says.

A $300,000 house is not exactly a mansion. Also, how does this newspaper know how much he has in the bank?

Did you know that food stamps are a very good stimulus?

A $300,000 house is not exactly a mansion. Also, how does this newspaper know how much he has in the bank?

it sure as hell isn't a hovel either.

good stimulus or not, stealing charity meant for those below the poverty line is not only despicable but SHOULD entail criminal penalties.

So a out of work Donald Trump can quailify for food stamps? LOL

:cuckoo:

There's no comparisan. The average out of work parent should be entitled to food stamps. They didn't say anything about him getting any money so he may have to live off of his retirement money or whatever that $80,000 was. If it was actually $80,000.

Btw, the more they said the guy owned, the more I saw a bit of exaggeration in the claims.

The value of an individuals residence shouldn't come into play. However, everything else should. What is interesting is that there are many people out there who take advantage when they don't need to. At the same time, there are many people who could receive these benefits, and are much more needing of them, but choose not to out of principle, at least until they really have to.

There's no comparisan. The average out of work parent should be entitled to food stamps. They didn't say anything about him getting any money so he may have to live off of his retirement money or whatever that $80,000 was. If it was actually $80,000.

Btw, the more they said the guy owned, the more I saw a bit of exaggeration in the claims.

Assets should be taken into consideration. Somehow they are waived through this categorical eligibility clause. I have to look into this more. But from what I see so far this is bullshit.

Last edited:
The value of an individuals residence shouldn't come into play. However, everything else should. What is interesting is that there are many people out there who take advantage when they don't need to. At the same time, there are many people who could receive these benefits, and are much more needing of them, but choose not to out of principle, at least until they really have to.

au contraire.. the value of his property SHOULD be a factor given that tax payers should not be compensating someone WITH the ability to feed himself. a 300k home could buy a lot of groceries. The Donald Trump comparison is apt given how often he files bankruptcy.. SHOULD the don be able to claim food stamps just because he doesn't want to spring for food in order to channel his wealth elsewhere?

I say no.

Assets should be taken into consideration. Somehow they are waived through this categorical eligibility clause. I have to look into this more. But from what I see so far this is bullshit.

Let me know what you come up with because so far, I simply don't believe the story. I think it is an exaggeration.

Let me know what you come up with because so far, I simply don't believe the story. I think it is an exaggeration.

I will the news media is there now during this meeting.

Regarding food stamps in general...I think that there should be severe restrictions on what they can be used for.

I think that they should only be used for healthy, nutritious foods, not twinkies, Frosted Flakes, and CocaCola.

Regarding food stamps in general...I think that there should be severe restrictions on what they can be used for.

I think that they should only be used for healthy, nutritious foods, not twinkies, Frosted Flakes, and CocaCola.

Is the 16 year old cashier going to enforce that?

Everything is computerized. The system should know if a certain food is eligible for food stamps, or whether it needs to be paid for with cash.

Everything is computerized. The system should know if a certain food is eligible for food stamps, or whether it needs to be paid for with cash.

That sounds like a nightmare in the making. I can just picture someone getting their groceries scanned before paying with the food stamps, being told that they have to put back half their groceries, and all hell breaking loose.

Should be simple enough to set a bar code that identifies it for the cashier. I've always thought that having a no-frills- nutritious food aisle would be a benefit to all concerned.

The newspapers know because the Food Stamp office knows. When you apply for government assistance, you're required to fill out an extensive application listing every single financial asset you own, including any and all bank accounts.

And yeah, I believe in Cincinnati, $300,000 buys you QUITE a nice house, which also provides you the equity to get a loan to see yourself through a period of unemployment, rather than asking the taxpayers to foot the bill.

Actually, the store's computer enforces it. Food stamps and cash assistance are issued on a card like a debit card. The cashier scans your purchases, hits a button identifying the source of payment as an EBT card, you slide the card and specify either the food or cash account, and the computer charges the account for those purchases that are allowable. The cashier then asks you for the balance of the purchase, if some of it was not allowable for that account.

In case anyone is wondering, I used to work as a supermarket cashier.

Forum List

Back