Food Stamp Fraud - The New Crime Wave

Hundreds of thousands are being laid off. That does't lend itself to more enforcement, but less. I used to work for a welfare fraud unit.

Really? Show links. Obama has increased federal employment.

Let's start with the fact that enforcement of "welfare" fraud happens at a local, not Federal level. Here are some more facts you will dismiss:

Under Obama, a Record Decline in Government Jobs

Public Sector Job Cuts Threaten Recovery
Since peaking in 2008, local governments have shed almost 500,000 jobs

Tell ya what, if all those people were being let go, I'd be happy. Fewer non essential government employees. I won't call them workers because most government workers don't do shit anyway. Except to tell others "it's not my job"...

Sorry, but you cannot equally scream about how there are dead people on the voter rolls and people abusing welfare and then scream for cuts in public sector personnel.

You don't know shit about the people who have chosen to serve you in the public sector. I retired from the US Military and joined the public sector in local county government and the people I've encountered are as hard working and dedicated as any I served with in the military.
Oh yes I can. The fact is there was so little enforcement of federal programs, it comes as no surprise the FDA sees food processing plants once every 5 years or so.
I know plenty about so called public employees. Hailing from New Jersey, we have the worst of the worst. Political hackery and nepotism run amok. Civil service protections and unions have made public employees arrogant and aloof. They no longer consider themselves public servants. They believe they are doing the public a favor by showing up to the office.
There are two kinds of public employees. One's who actually go to the office or where ever to do a good job and realize who it is that is paying their wage. Then there's the rest who are just there to "put in their time"..Unfortunately, the clock watchers make up the majority of the public sector.
If it were up to me, I'd cut the number of federal workers by at least a third. Most of them are unneeded clerical people, assistant to the assistant deputy undersecretary to the deputy director to the federal department of redundancy department.
The federal government or rather the Washington Dc parks dept, which is federally funded has a landscaping dept. They have federal employees to cut the God damned grass.
Now that is just stupid. He taxpayers have to float high federal wages and expensive benefits and pensions..That work could be contracted out to a private sector contractor for a lot less money.

Hundreds of thousands are being laid off. That does't lend itself to more enforcement, but less. I used to work for a welfare fraud unit.

Let's start with the fact that enforcement of "welfare" fraud happens at a local, not Federal level. Here are some more facts you will dismiss:

Tell ya what, if all those people were being let go, I'd be happy. Fewer non essential government employees. I won't call them workers because most government workers don't do shit anyway. Except to tell others "it's not my job"...

Sorry, but you cannot equally scream about how there are dead people on the voter rolls and people abusing welfare and then scream for cuts in public sector personnel.

You don't know shit about the people who have chosen to serve you in the public sector. I retired from the US Military and joined the public sector in local county government and the people I've encountered are as hard working and dedicated as any I served with in the military.

States should all go ahead with voter ID and that alone would discourage cheating. How much money and time has the Obama administration wasted suing states for trying to uphold immigration laws and stopping them from maintaining the integrity of our voting process?

The rules seem loose for who gets welfare and it's been encouraged. The rules in place allow abuse of EBT cards, so it's not like the government is surprised at this. Obama stated he encouraged people to apply and actually wanted us to believe that many people didn't know about welfare. Considering the cost of tolerating scammers, I think the money would be better spent overseeing the program to prevent fraud.

The problem is that 40% of those on food stamps already have jobs. Not because they are "ripping off the system" but because the jobs they hold don't pay enough to put food on the table.

And this is where you free market types have really messed it up. When you decide to increase your profit by firing one guy and make another guy work twice as hard for less money, you create EXACTLY the kind of government dependency you whine about.

I had a service call one day at a retail fish store in a bad neighborhood.
I asked the guy why it was so quiet for a Friday.
He said it was the end of the Month.
He told me the beginning of the Month they all come in with their EBT food card
and load up on lobster tails and King Crab legs.
He said it was pretty funny.

What does that have to do with anything I said?

Yes, there have always been those who have no sense with money.

I remember back in the day, it was the "welfare" people who had the cadilacs while working folks drove practical cars... or at least that was the stereotype.

Yep...our school system started breakfast programs about 7-8 years ago.
Kids who were on the free lunch program automatically qualified for free breakfast as well. As well as two schools continue the lunch program thru the summer even when the kids are out of school.

When I was in school? We had 'reduced cost' programs or you just brought it from home...period.

If kids bring it from home now, they are apt to have their lunch taken away. Schools want to feed them and don't like parents trying to do it. They'll take away the healthy turkey sandwich and give them gross chicken nuggets.

They need to require IDs for using the EBT cards or at least put their pictures on the cards. That would help stop people from selling them. I can't believe people are using these cards at strip clubs, bars, tattoo parlors and nail salons, etc. If they can do all those things, they don't need our help. This is just giving people more than they need so they have the means to waste our money on this crap.

What schools do this?:confused:

States should all go ahead with voter ID and that alone would discourage cheating. How much money and time has the Obama administration wasted suing states for trying to uphold immigration laws and stopping them from maintaining the integrity of our voting process?

Upholding the Voting Rights Act isn't "wasting money". Immigration falls under the Federal government. Voter ID laws don't save any money and don't actually deter fraud. They are actually very costly.

Over four years, Indiana's strict voter ID law cost taxpayers more than $10 million just to issue new IDs. Estimates by other states projected additional implementation costs of up to $25.2 million in North Carolina over three years, $16.9 million in Missouri over three years.

Voter ID laws cost much, accomplish little

The Cost of Voter ID Laws: What the Courts Say

The rules seem loose for who gets welfare and it's been encouraged. The rules in place allow abuse of EBT cards, so it's not like the government is surprised at this. Obama stated he encouraged people to apply and actually wanted us to believe that many people didn't know about welfare. Considering the cost of tolerating scammers, I think the money would be better spent overseeing the program to prevent fraud.

So change the rules. Why must everything be destroy and not fix?

Getting rid of MORE public sector workers isn't going to help with enforcement of welfare fraud. Gutting the states of money isn't going to help stop welfare abuse.

Oh yes I can. The fact is there was so little enforcement of federal programs, it comes as no surprise the FDA sees food processing plants once every 5 years or so.
I know plenty about so called public employees. Hailing from New Jersey, we have the worst of the worst. Political hackery and nepotism run amok. Civil service protections and unions have made public employees arrogant and aloof. They no longer consider themselves public servants. They believe they are doing the public a favor by showing up to the office.
There are two kinds of public employees. One's who actually go to the office or where ever to do a good job and realize who it is that is paying their wage. Then there's the rest who are just there to "put in their time"..Unfortunately, the clock watchers make up the majority of the public sector.
If it were up to me, I'd cut the number of federal workers by at least a third. Most of them are unneeded clerical people, assistant to the assistant deputy undersecretary to the deputy director to the federal department of redundancy department.
The federal government or rather the Washington Dc parks dept, which is federally funded has a landscaping dept. They have federal employees to cut the God damned grass.
Now that is just stupid. He taxpayers have to float high federal wages and expensive benefits and pensions..That work could be contracted out to a private sector contractor for a lot less money.

The USDA is in food plants all day long~duh!

There you go talking about the Federal government again when it is STATES that run the welfare programs.

Have you ever worked in the public sector?

When I was in school? We had 'reduced cost' programs or you just brought it from home...period.

If kids bring it from home now, they are apt to have their lunch taken away. Schools want to feed them and don't like parents trying to do it. They'll take away the healthy turkey sandwich and give them gross chicken nuggets.

They need to require IDs for using the EBT cards or at least put their pictures on the cards. That would help stop people from selling them. I can't believe people are using these cards at strip clubs, bars, tattoo parlors and nail salons, etc. If they can do all those things, they don't need our help. This is just giving people more than they need so they have the means to waste our money on this crap.

What schools do this?:confused:

What the uninformed poster is wrong about is that EBT cards for food only can't purchase anything but food. On this same EBT card is the availability of cash funds if you are on AFDC(aid to families with dependant children), or TANF(temporary aid for needy families).

Forum List

Back