Food Products That I Would Not Have in the House If...........

Food that I would not have in the house if it were not for my wife

Everyone who has ever lived with another person knows that, all else aside, you can never totally be on the same page when it comes to food. In the case of my wife and I, the differences are relatively minor. Generally, I like dished to be more spicy than she does, but that is easily adjusted at the table.

However, there a some food product that she must have that quite frankly, I just don't see the point in. Two come to mind:

Ketchup

Now I don't hate ketchup. I just don't see the point of it when there is Salsa in the world. Ketchup is for kids. Salsa is for grownups and there a so many great kinds!!

Boxed Chicken Noodle Soup

I make some great homemade soups out of whatever is in the house. Broth from cooking vegetables and beans, the vegetables and beans themselves, whole wheat pasta and brown rice. Tomatoes, zucchini , you name it. It becomes a minestrone , Italian wedding soup, or a bean soup. My wife thinks they are good too and there are often leftovers. Yet for some reason that I will never understand, she will on occasion, cook up this boxed soup for lunch consisting of mostly white flour, salt and artificial colors and flavors. Go figure.

Now, to give here equal time, there are a couple of things that I stock for myself that she won't go near and would not buy

Tofurky Italian Sausage and Deli "Meats"

Mind you, she is by no means adverse to meat substitute products. We regularly have meatless meat balls, burger, faux pepperoni, and more. So it is especially odd that she wants nothing to do with Tofurky. Oh well.

Hot Sauces

I have the whole collection. Chipotle, Chili Habanero, Sweet and Spicy, Chili Garlic and more. Good even on eggs! Not for her though

Foods that neither of us will have in the house

Donuts

Marshmallows

Soda

Red Meat

Any one care to share??

You have a wife? What is his name?

:rofl:

Oh Christ ! how Fucking stupid are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 139948

This was a couple weeks ago of a bunch of us making perogies at the cabin. Cheers!
Oh man. It's been years. I miss those. Only Grandma could make them.

We use my Gram's recipe as well... gotta keep those culinary traditions alive. I make them in large batches several times a year. We vacuum seal and freeze them b/c they keep forever. I could eat sauerkraut perogies every day and be a happy chappy. lol

Everyone who has ever lived with another person knows that, all else aside, you can never totally be on the same page when it comes to food. In the case of my wife and I, the differences are relatively minor. Generally, I like dished to be more spicy than she does, but that is easily adjusted at the table.

However, there a some food product that she must have that quite frankly, I just don't see the point in. Two come to mind:

Ketchup

Now I don't hate ketchup. I just don't see the point of it when there is Salsa in the world. Ketchup is for kids. Salsa is for grownups and there a so many great kinds!!

I make some great homemade soups out of whatever is in the house. Broth from cooking vegetables and beans, the vegetables and beans themselves, whole wheat pasta and brown rice. Tomatoes, zucchini , you name it. It becomes a minestrone , Italian wedding soup, or a bean soup. My wife thinks they are good too and there are often leftovers. Yet for some reason that I will never understand, she will on occasion, cook up this boxed soup for lunch consisting of mostly white flour, salt and artificial colors and flavors. Go figure.

Now, to give here equal time, there are a couple of things that I stock for myself that she won't go near and would not buy

Mind you, she is by no means adverse to meat substitute products. We regularly have meatless meat balls, burger, faux pepperoni, and more. So it is especially odd that she wants nothing to do with Tofurky. Oh well.

Hot Sauces

I have the whole collection. Chipotle, Chili Habanero, Sweet and Spicy, Chili Garlic and more. Good even on eggs! Not for her though

Donuts

Marshmallows

Soda

Red Meat

Any one care to share??

Can't have fries without ketchup. We do these really good baked fries.

I've been vegetarian for more than 30 years and can tell you that of all the veg products out there, tofurky is all but criminal. I keep thinking they'll get better and finally, maybe even get it right but that stuff is horrible. In Tucson, I used to get a vegan 9 bean loaf and a vegan lentil loaf - both were really REALLY good. Now make meat balls from tofu that can't be beat. Sweet and sour or with red sauce - they really are so good that you could stand at the stove and eat them.

Hot sauce - me too. Mexicans eat many different kinds of hot sauce and they're fanatical about which one they use with which food. I never did get that and couldn't tell one from another. Go into a real Mexican restaurant in Tucson or Mexico for that matter, and at each table, there's a big container of like 10 or more different kinds of hot sauce. Who knew?

Donuts - Ugh. Weird kind of greasy fat.

Marshmallows - Another ugh. But, for those who like the marshmallow creme fudge, that's vegan. Vegan marshmallows are also available but I'll pass on anything that is just pure sugar.

Soda - Sugar ugh. Oh, but have to confess I like ginger beer, especially a really strong one we get from the Mennonites.

Red Meat - Never ever again.

WillowTree I know you don't want to know this but that stuff is garbage. Honest - I know where it comes from and its not something you want to put in your mouth. Think fecal soup and the dead pile. Chicken that is used for things where its appearance doesn't matter, like soup, broth, tv dinners, all use the worst, oldest, most contaminated.

If you want to use something like that (WHY??), make your own and use better quality chicken as the base. Buy from a local farmer instead of the garbage (I use that term literally, and yes, I know what "literal" means) that is left over from factory farms.
Thank You. But I have to wonder why you think that Tofurky is so bad? It is highly processed I suppose, but so are many other things like Boca Burgers which I love.

I remember the early days of my experimentation with vegetarianism in the late 70's early 80's. Veg burgers came in a can. It was a grey, clay like past that you were supposed to form into patties a fry until brown. You could fry the shit out of it and it might brown a bit on the outside but is was still grey inside. And it tasted just like it looked, grey.Food technology has come a long way since then. Still, I suppose the best way to go I to stop trying to imitate meat and eat minimally processed vegetables

Tofurkey tastes bad and yes, highly processed. I also remember canned stuff. Brand name Loma Linda but they also had some good stuff. Being vegetarian or vegan then was hard. Almost impossible to eat out unless you wanted to eat piles of dairy and factory farmed eggs.

Everyone but me likes Boca Burgers. I prefer Morningstar Farms but again, a lot of crap I don't want to eat. I read there's a new one in the works - made from dead cows. HUH?

I was really glad to discover tofu. It's amazing stuff, versatile, can be turned into darned near anything. If interested, Tofu Cooke by Louise Hagler. The first time I made her sweet and sour meat balls, stood at the stove and gorged. Now, we always make them for parties and the meat eaters have them instead of meat.

In my 20s, I lived on coffee and cigarettes. I'm 70 now, eat very well, organic, vegan except for eggs we buy from a neighbor and sometimes eat dairy if nothing better available. And I feel terrific and a lot healthier than my over weight sibs.

About daily, the book Whitewash is an eye opener. And anything by John Robbins (son and nephew of Baskin Robbins) an KathyFreston.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

I throw a package of that boxed chicken noodle soup into a pot of rice. Makes the rice delicious!

I usually use homemade chicken stock, but those packages are awesome and are a great if I am suddenly out of homemade stock.

What we do eat.....real, homemade, whole foods as much as possible. Since I have a garden & fruit trees, that provides the greater majority of our produce in season and I can much of it for winter. We also have chickens, mostly for eggs but have butchered for meat as well. What I can't provide here, we do buy from the store and I make a lot of what we use. Such as broths, salsa, jams, pickles relishes, etc. And one of these days I am going to make ketchup. It's been on my to-do list for a few years, but haven't gotten that far yet. While I'm not a big ketchup fan, homemade fries &/or curly fries from the fair just have to have some ketchup. :thup:

What is not in my house......lima beans, Brussel sprouts, kimchi, anything soy (except soy sauce, of course), and no fake meat.

Ketchup

Hot Sauces

Donuts

Marshmallows

Soda

Red Meat

Any one care to share??

Can't have fries without ketchup. We do these really good baked fries.

I've been vegetarian for more than 30 years and can tell you that of all the veg products out there, tofurky is all but criminal. I keep thinking they'll get better and finally, maybe even get it right but that stuff is horrible. In Tucson, I used to get a vegan 9 bean loaf and a vegan lentil loaf - both were really REALLY good. Now make meat balls from tofu that can't be beat. Sweet and sour or with red sauce - they really are so good that you could stand at the stove and eat them.

Hot sauce - me too. Mexicans eat many different kinds of hot sauce and they're fanatical about which one they use with which food. I never did get that and couldn't tell one from another. Go into a real Mexican restaurant in Tucson or Mexico for that matter, and at each table, there's a big container of like 10 or more different kinds of hot sauce. Who knew?

Donuts - Ugh. Weird kind of greasy fat.

Marshmallows - Another ugh. But, for those who like the marshmallow creme fudge, that's vegan. Vegan marshmallows are also available but I'll pass on anything that is just pure sugar.

Soda - Sugar ugh. Oh, but have to confess I like ginger beer, especially a really strong one we get from the Mennonites.

Red Meat - Never ever again.

WillowTree I know you don't want to know this but that stuff is garbage. Honest - I know where it comes from and its not something you want to put in your mouth. Think fecal soup and the dead pile. Chicken that is used for things where its appearance doesn't matter, like soup, broth, tv dinners, all use the worst, oldest, most contaminated.

If you want to use something like that (WHY??), make your own and use better quality chicken as the base. Buy from a local farmer instead of the garbage (I use that term literally, and yes, I know what "literal" means) that is left over from factory farms.
Thank You. But I have to wonder why you think that Tofurky is so bad? It is highly processed I suppose, but so are many other things like Boca Burgers which I love.

I remember the early days of my experimentation with vegetarianism in the late 70's early 80's. Veg burgers came in a can. It was a grey, clay like past that you were supposed to form into patties a fry until brown. You could fry the shit out of it and it might brown a bit on the outside but is was still grey inside. And it tasted just like it looked, grey.Food technology has come a long way since then. Still, I suppose the best way to go I to stop trying to imitate meat and eat minimally processed vegetables

Tofurkey tastes bad and yes, highly processed. I also remember canned stuff. Brand name Loma Linda but they also had some good stuff. Being vegetarian or vegan then was hard. Almost impossible to eat out unless you wanted to eat piles of dairy and factory farmed eggs.

Everyone but me likes Boca Burgers. I prefer Morningstar Farms but again, a lot of crap I don't want to eat. I read there's a new one in the works - made from dead cows. HUH?

I was really glad to discover tofu. It's amazing stuff, versatile, can be turned into darned near anything. If interested, Tofu Cooke by Louise Hagler. The first time I made her sweet and sour meat balls, stood at the stove and gorged. Now, we always make them for parties and the meat eaters have them instead of meat.

In my 20s, I lived on coffee and cigarettes. I'm 70 now, eat very well, organic, vegan except for eggs we buy from a neighbor and sometimes eat dairy if nothing better available. And I feel terrific and a lot healthier than my over weight sibs.

About daily, the book Whitewash is an eye opener. And anything by John Robbins (son and nephew of Baskin Robbins) an KathyFreston.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com
Interesting info. Thank you!

Ketchup

Hot Sauces

Donuts

Marshmallows

Soda

Red Meat

Any one care to share??

So you are saying you aren't gay?

I get it, you're some sort of half-fag,... a Bisexual. Or do you prefer Queer?

Whatever floats your boat bub.....

Ketchup

Hot Sauces

Donuts

Marshmallows

Soda

Red Meat

Any one care to share??

So you are saying you aren't gay?

I get it, you're some sort of half-fag,... a Bisexual. Or do you prefer Queer?

Whatever floats your boat bub.....
:banana2::asshole::asshole:

I do not have GMO's in my house (Genetically Modified )

Not consciously...I avoid those as the plague....I haven't eaten corn for ages because all the corn is GMO....I try to chose fruit and vegetables that are not GMO....at least I try.

I drink only soy milk and I buy the brand its says it's not GMO.

I agree about GMOs . I try to avoid them at all costs. When I drink milk it's fresh-squeezed from my own goats and icy cold. Otherwise I turn milk into cheese, yogurt, or kefir.

Forum List

Back