food prices

Ahh.. So it is just another government conspiracy... Keeping food supplies low and prices high, simply because they hate us.

;)

All real poverty in the world stems from the conduct of governments.

Ethanol and cap and trade are more of the same.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...tions-what-should-we-do-next.html#post3167834

Start growing the country again. End the four lost years before it becomes ten.

We've been doing that since the 70's... But anyway... Shouldn't the free market simply produce more corn and return prices to market clearing level?

No, because farm susidies pay not to grow it.

Ahh.. So it is just another government conspiracy... Keeping food supplies low and prices high, simply because they hate us.

;)
i think they should end all subsidies that call for things NOT to be grown

I keep tellin yall.
The market in the USA is saturated esp with low job growth.
Most everyone spends all the income they have.
So how are we gonna have a recovery? Raise prices on the stuff we already buy.

Yet more mindless drivel. I'll tell you what olfraud when a bushel of wheat gets up to 21 bucks you can start whining. That's what it got up to in 1922. That would be an equivalent price today of around 140 dollars. Has it broken 25 bucks a bushel yet?

Last edited:
World Food Prices Jump to Record on Sugar, Oilseeds - Bloomberg

An index of 55 food commodities tracked by the Food and Agriculture Organization gained for a sixth month to 214.7 points, above the previous all-time high of 213.5 in June 2008, the Rome-based UN agency said in a monthly report. The gauges for sugar and meat prices advanced to records.

Sugar climbed for a third year in a row in 2010, and corn jumped the most in four years in Chicago. Food prices may rise more unless the world grain crop increases “significantly” in 2011, the FAO said Nov. 17. At least 13 people died last year in Mozambique in protests against plans to lift bread prices.

“There is still, unfortunately, the potential for grain prices to strengthen on the back of a lot of uncertainty,” Abdolreza Abbassian, senior economist at the FAO, said by phone from Rome today. “If anything goes wrong with the South American crop, there is plenty of room for them to increase.”

White, or refined, sugar traded at $752.70 a metric ton at 11:53 a.m. on NYSE Liffe in London, compared with $383.70 at the end of June 2008. Corn, which added 52 percent last year on the Chicago Board of Trade, was at $6.01 a bushel, down from $7.57 in June 2008. Soybeans were at $13.6325 a bushel, against $15.74 at the close of June 2008.

Soybeans Gain on Speculation About Drought Damage to Argentina's Harvest - Bloomberg

Crops ‘Under Duress’

“If the heat and dry conditions continue for another week, the crops in both Argentina and Brazil will be diminished,” economist Dennis Gartman said in his daily newsletter. “Dry conditions continue, and the corn and soybeans crops there are under duress.”

Wheat for March delivery lost 1.1 percent to $7.9075 a bushel, trimming this year’s gain to 46 percent. Milling wheat for January delivery traded on NYSE Liffe in Paris slipped 1 percent to 250 euros ($331.58) a ton.

“Markets are consolidating in this period at the end of the year, with moves more related to technical adjustments than to fundamentals,” Paris-based farm adviser Agritel said in a comment on its website today.

March-delivery rice gained 0.3 percent to $13.925 per 100 pounds in Chicago, reducing the most-active contract’s drop this year to 6.5 percent.

Output from the main rice harvest in Thailand, the world’s biggest exporter of the grain, may drop 5.3 percent to 22 million tons after flooding destroyed crops, the Office of Agricultural Economics said last week.

Revere, you silly ass. What has been said is that if there are more crop failures, we will be competeing with the Chineses for wheat grown in the Dakotas. We, as in all American Citizens.

Last edited:
Corn and wheat are not typically grown on the same acreage. Different conditions for each.

and from listening to many farmers around here soybeans did far better than corn this year on selling price. Corn did not do as well on price as expected.

Last edited:
Yep all we eat is corn.
do you understand how the price of corn effects the prices of a number of other foods?

Minimally. I know farmers most either grow corn or soybeans on the same acreage.
I don't know about you but I eat very few soybeans.

It has the most impact thru speculation.
actually since corn is also a feed product it effects quite a few
pork, beef, chicken, all fed with corn

then you have all the food products made with corn
and that includes corn sugar products too

Forum List

Back