Food Prices

They're "lying" in the sense that when they compile CPI data, they don't include food and energy.
But they do. Why do people never actually look at the data so they know what they're talking about? Table 1 of the CPI First item listed: Food and beverages. Then Housing, including home energy costs. Motor fuel is farther down.

Down at the bottom, under "special indexes" they do show the CPI minus food, minus energy, minus food and energy, minus medical costs etc, but that's not the main index.
Same thing for the CPI-W, which is what's used for Social Security adjustments.

for one thing, since the ethanol subsidization boondoggle started in earnest, commodity prices for source food stuffs have fluctuated more often as they are linked to petroleum production and supply.

During a recent shop, I remarked to my wife that it seems $5 is the new 1$...

It's far bigger than ethanol subsidies. What we're seeing is the beginning of the fall out from massively increasing the money supply and going on a debt binge. Money seeks assets: stocks, real estate, bonds, commodities.

The stock bubble burst in 2000, and never recovered its highs.
Commodities tested an oil bubble a couple of years ago.
The real estate bubble has burst.
The bond bubble is forming, and showing signs of coming apart.
Money is moving into commodities.

Hence, food prices are increasing.

Then WTF is happening in Cleveland, Mr. H?

Mebbe if DOJ weren't so obsessed with Arizona, it could fire up a price fixing case once in awhile. Fuckers.

Natural gas price war breaking out in Ohio | cleveland.com

Natural gas prices rising at Columbia Gas and Dominion East Ohio | cleveland.com

Mad, I don't want to be rude, honestly, but why do you leap immediately to "price gouging" rather than considering one of the multitude of factors included in the very complex process of setting prices, and maybe researching a little to find out which one - or ones - it is?

Mebbe if DOJ weren't so obsessed with Arizona, it could fire up a price fixing case once in awhile. Fuckers.

Natural gas prices rising at Columbia Gas and Dominion East Ohio | cleveland.com

The first link appears to explain why you were sold a bill of goods, so to speak. You don't have to enroll in a purchase contract if you don't want to.

The second link explains (quite factually) why gas prices are what they are. Nothing to bark about there.

Natural gas is relatively cheap. Getting it to your house is another matter. If you want your own personal supply, go drill a well.

I found this article that explains that Ohio's legislators are, apparently, a big part of the problem.

Dominion East Ohio Gas switches some customers to high-priced suppliers | CorpEnergy's Blog

As a consumer you are at the mercy of the company that is suppying you with nat gas. If there is a price war breaking out in Ohio then that is a good thing for you as prices will be low. Nat gas prices did increase in the NE because of the hot weather and transmission problems with Canadian electricity. Whether that includes Cleveland I do not know.

On the CPI, just because you see an increase in consumer goods in Cleveland does not necassarily mean the CPI is up. Another part of the country may be experiencing a decrease in the CPI. The national CPI is a an average of the country. I am sure vegtables and fuit are lower in Cali than here because of transportation costs and meat may be higher there than here because we have the meat processors here.

Actually, produce prices are fairly low here, except for bananas. Apparently bananas contain gold these days...they haven't been below 49 cent lb in over a year. I can't understand it. T'aint as if nectarines are grown in Ohio.

Peaches, nectarines, and plums have been selling at a really low price for a good while here, too (and not much of anything, comparatively speaking, is grown here) so I'm guessing there was a bumper crop in these sorts of items this year.

butter 2.19 a lb

milk 3.39 a gal

i see prices going up .... nc is a leading pork producer so we can get pork pretty cheap

seafood has gone sky high....wild caught shrimp 13.99 a lb

Wow. Remind me not to move where you are. Food prices have been pretty good here, which is funny when you consider how much has to be shipped in, given that this is a desert.

You know, I never thought I'd say this, but maybe there needs to be a new required addition to the curriculum in schools: Home Economics. I had to take one 'trimester' of it in Junior High. Nowadays, I wish i would have been an entire year. .....

Just a random addition to the mix. Thanks for the fun thread so far Maddie.

This is actually one heluva idea, but I'd have the little morons doing laundry and learning how to live on $5/day for all 4 years of high school.

After Obama is done simultaneously burning through the National Treasury and destroying the economy, they'll need to know how to make a tasty menue on a Federal alotment of beans and bacon.

I think this was discussed briefly in another thread recently. As I said then, teaching home economics should be the parents' job.

for one thing, since the ethanol subsidization boondoggle started in earnest, commodity prices for source food stuffs have fluctuated more often as they are linked to petroleum production and supply.

During a recent shop, I remarked to my wife that it seems $5 is the new 1$...

It's far bigger than ethanol subsidies. What we're seeing is the beginning of the fall out from massively increasing the money supply and going on a debt binge. Money seeks assets: stocks, real estate, bonds, commodities.

The stock bubble burst in 2000, and never recovered its highs.
Commodities tested an oil bubble a couple of years ago.
The real estate bubble has burst.
The bond bubble is forming, and showing signs of coming apart.
Money is moving into commodities.

Hence, food prices are increasing.

Food prices are commodities prices.

Since food prices are still roughly in line with both inflation and some small disruptions in the world's food supply there is no reason yet to think that speculators are inflating another commodities bubble like they did in the spring of 08.

So far nobody has even posted any data about food prices increasing. Beyond the relatively tame futures increases for wheat and corn anyway.

Besides there isn't nearly as much excess money to shift intro commodities since the money supply is shrinking at a pace of about 6%/anum.

Something funny is happening, I swear it. Gasoline prices are stable...they've been below $2.50 gal for over a year. But for some reason, natural gas prices around here are exploding. I strongly suspect illegal price gouging.

How can they say "we have almost no inflation" if food and heating cost twice what they did, or more? They don't consider food or energy in indexing inflation? Seriously?

WTF?????

In California where all the refineries are, Gas has averaged $3.03 a gallon for the past six months. Alaska to California and then to the refineries and then to the pump. In California it is over $3 a gallon but in Arizone where the California refineries have to pay truckers to haul the gas to service stations it is only $2.55 a gallon. Go figure? Something is corrupt beyond belief.

butter 2.19 a lb

milk 3.39 a gal

i see prices going up .... nc is a leading pork producer so we can get pork pretty cheap

seafood has gone sky high....wild caught shrimp 13.99 a lb

Wow those prices are high.

I dont by shrimp packed in ice because once the ice thaws I discovered that 1/3rd of the weight was water. $13.99 a lb for water is $116.84 a gallon. What a rip-off. I Buy my own 7lb bag of ice for a dollar & pour over the shrimp.

Last edited:
You know, I never thought I'd say this, but maybe there needs to be a new required addition to the curriculum in schools: Home Economics. I had to take one 'trimester' of it in Junior High. Nowadays, I wish i would have been an entire year. .....

Just a random addition to the mix. Thanks for the fun thread so far Maddie.

This is actually one heluva idea, but I'd have the little morons doing laundry and learning how to live on $5/day for all 4 years of high school.

After Obama is done simultaneously burning through the National Treasury and destroying the economy, they'll need to know how to make a tasty menue on a Federal alotment of beans and bacon.

I think this was discussed briefly in another thread recently. As I said then, teaching home economics should be the parents' job.
Yeah... I know. I was lucky. I learned many Home Ec subjects at home, but even so, there were dozens of kids in my class that didn't know even rudimentary things like cooking a can of soup or doing laundry. I admit I forgot the sewing aspect, but I kinda liked it. But also classes like how to handle a household budget can be invaluable. Kids generally don't know how to do these things unless they're lucky enough to have parents to do it for them.

I know I know... it's the same problem with sex ed (parents should do it) and when the school gets involved... it becomes a mess. But it would be nice then to get parents to step up to the plate.

Forum List

Back