Food Prices

:talktothehand:

Don't try to flatter your way out of this.
You don't have high blood pressure do you? Keep drinking the V8 and Beef Jerky (ooh so tasty) and you will though. :funnyface:

Oh, diet advice from Mayor McCheese?.....:rolleyes:
ROFL... I have wisdom as brought on by bad behavior.

and that's now Senator McCheese. I bettered myself after putting community activist on my resume and saying I was a quarter soul food.

The trend I am noticing is not only prices going up. But quietly they are reducing the amount you get in the packages as well.

i don't mean to be singling you out, but in truth we are perched near the tipping point of a deflationary spiral even tho LOTS of evidence suggests that inflation should be rolling full steam ahead, but isn't.

If the money supply keeps shrinking at anywhere near it's present 6% annual rate of contraction then domestic goods are gonna go way down in price. Foreign goods will vary depending on where they come from.

Food is a bad example because we subsidize food so much that it is artificially cheap and has been for 40 years. We should probably be paying twice as much for food, and that would still be a bargain.

1/3 of the world spends over half of their gross income on food.

We spend less than 10%. And we eat some of the most "value added"* food in the world.

(*i could hardly type that without laughing)

Claiming prices are not inflating when package sizes keep getting smaller while the price stays the same. Is pure ignorance dude.

The trend I am noticing is not only prices going up. But quietly they are reducing the amount you get in the packages as well.

i don't mean to be singling you out, but in truth we are perched near the tipping point of a deflationary spiral even tho LOTS of evidence suggests that inflation should be rolling full steam ahead, but isn't.

If the money supply keeps shrinking at anywhere near it's present 6% annual rate of contraction then domestic goods are gonna go way down in price. Foreign goods will vary depending on where they come from.

Food is a bad example because we subsidize food so much that it is artificially cheap and has been for 40 years. We should probably be paying twice as much for food, and that would still be a bargain.

We spend less than 10%. And we eat some of the most "value added"* food in the world.

Claiming prices are not inflating when package sizes keep getting smaller while the price stays the same. Is pure ignorance dude.

There is little to no inflation recently, dude.

But even if there was, inflation is perfectly ordinary.

It is ordinary for prices to double every 13.5 years. Dude.

Are you listening to anything I say. If prices stay the same and the amount of food you get in the package shrinks. Then that is Hidden Inflation. It has become an all to common practice in the packaged food industry. A way to hide that prices are really going up.

Never claimed we had massive inflation right now. Clearly we do not, and clearly it is normal when it happens. Was simply pointing out that Food Packages keep getting smaller while the price stays the same or goes up some. This is a way to hide food price inflation from us.

Changing package sizes are accounted for when calculating inflation, (a 12oz package at $2.50 changing to 10oz at $2.50 would be considered a 20% price increase) so while that certainly does happen, it doesn't seem to be happening enough to affect the overall basket.

God, you're dumb.

It is not ordinary for prices to double every 13.5 years. That level of inflation which has nothing to do with supply and demand of the good themselves is due to the money supply being manipulated by our government and the banking system to repay vast amounts of debt with much cheaper money.

Okay, so I am no economic genius, but I go grocery like anyone else. The price of food has been extremely unstable here, but has mostly been going up. E.g., ground round went from $2.29 lb last week on sale to $3.39 lb this week, with ground sirloin at $5.49 lb. Similar things have been happening with bread, milk, eggs and cereal.....semi-reasonable sale prices coupled with VERY high "normal" prices.

So I have a few questions.

WTF is going on? I thought we had "almost no inflation"? I might not have all these prices memorized, but I know cereal's normal price has doubled in a year....and for sure, all the rest are up steeply.

Has there been some sort of agricultural warfare I haven't heard about? Why's this price increase affecting the basics, but evidentially not such things as cheese, yogurt, or ice cream?

WTF pays $5.49 for ground sirloin? I'm not sure I'd pay that much for a decent lamb chop.

for one thing, since the ethanol subsidization boondoggle started in earnest, commodity prices for source food stuffs have fluctuated more often as they are linked to petroleum production and supply.

During a recent shop, I remarked to my wife that it seems $5 is the new 1$...

What I see most of is
10 for 10,
3 for 5
and 2 for 3.

But yes, you seem to be essentially right. 6 years ago, I could go to Aldis and get 2 weeks worth of groceries for 40 bucks for me. Now... heh, it's more like 60 bucks.

God, you're dumb.

It is not ordinary for prices to double every 13.5 years. That level of inflation which has nothing to do with supply and demand of the good themselves is due to the money supply being manipulated by our government and the banking system to repay vast amounts of debt with much cheaper money.

well it is ordinary in the USA since 1913.

Are you a sour sack of shit in real life?

Are you listening to anything I say. If prices stay the same and the amount of food you get in the package shrinks. Then that is Hidden Inflation.

Like I said, I wasn't singling you out, you were just one of several posters who seem to believe that food prices are rising rapidly.

I am not at all convinced that is the case. I recently did some comparative shopping and discovered that i could feed my dogs and cats raw pork for just a few % more than canned tuna. So I did. Because it was dirt cheap.

Dirt cheap.

Food in the USA is dirt cheap for everybody because it is subsidized to beat the band.

Which might be the real reason why food is excluded from the core index of the CPI.

WTF pays $5.49 for ground sirloin? I'm not sure I'd pay that much for a decent lamb chop.

During a recent shop, I remarked to my wife that it seems $5 is the new 1$...

Ya know, of course, we're gettin' older.....
sign0201.gif

In June, the estimated wheat crop for Russia was 93 million tons. By the end of August, it was, hopefully, 60 million tons. Russia consumes 75 million tons. That represents 33 million less tons on the open market. Then you have the near total devastation of the Pakistani agriculture this year.

Yes, we are seeing and will see even more inflation in the price of food. Not only food, but the cotton crops of both Russia and Pakistan were also devastated. In the coming years, we will continue to see increasingly unstable weather patterns and all that that means for agriculture.

I too have noted that the price of meat and eggs seems to be rising.

I personally think that the cost of food has risen about 10% in the last couple years.

This is acedotal evidence, of course, but then too my entire life is anecdotal, so that anecdotal is the ONLY evidence that really matters to me.

The government either lies or the reality is that someplace other than where I shop food prices must be dropping a LOT.

Wish I knew where that happy place was.

I personally think that the cost of food has risen about 10% in the last couple years.

This is acedotal evidence, of course, but then too my entire life is anecdotal, so that anecdotal is the ONLY evidence that really matters to me.

The government either lies or the reality is that someplace other than where I shop food prices must be dropping a LOT.

They're "lying" in the sense that when they compile CPI data, they don't include food and energy.

So they tell us that inflation is nil right now, but only in the things that aren't most important to one's life.

Throughout this "deflationary" period we've been in since '08, food prices have stayed steady or risen where I am as well. I doubt this is anecdotal.

Last edited:

They're "lying" in the sense that when they compile CPI data, they don't include food and energy.

So they tell us that inflation is nil right now, but only in the things that aren't most important to one's life.

Throughout this "deflationary" period we've been in since '08, food prices have stayed steady or risen where I am as well. I doubt this is anecdotal.

Food is up, packaging is shrinking.

Forum List

Back