Food Prices...Gas..Cost Of Living.

Yeah, undertood, topgunna.

Recession, a techical term defining the GDP is one thing. We are not in that

Basically it is a meaningless term to most people because it is removed from their personal experience.

The quality of lives of people in American IS in a recesssion.

We are pulling back from purchasing because few of us can easily adjust our lives to the rising prices of food and energy.

That is the recssion I am talking about...the one that is manfiesting in our daily lives.

I frankly don't give a flying fuck what the macroeconomists tell me because they have consistently failed to give me the language to describe the economy of the working class.

But you point is valid, even if I don't actually care.

Basically it is a meaningless term to most people because it is removed from their personal experience.

We are pulling back from purchasing because few of us can easily adjust our lives to the rising prices of food and energy.

That is the recssion I am talking about...the one that is manfiesting in our daily lives.

I frankly don't give a flying fuck what the macroeconomists tell me because they have consistently failed to give me the language to describe the economy of the working class.

In other words, just talk to your neighbors, co-workers, family and friends.

Ask them how things are going compared to last year at this time financially, and if they have been cutting back on things because of the rising prices of everything.

I believe that over some chart.

Fair enough, but you did say "In three years I expect we will still be in this recession (that some people still claim hasn't happened, yet)." The reason people claim it hasn't happened yet is because the current state of affairs does not meet the definition. Just wanted to point out why people can correctly make that claim.

This is quoted by David Stringer...and Associated Press Writer.

Quote--> "Britain urging return to wartime food frugality"

It's a warning bell as the article says...Food & Energy prices are soaring all over the world as it says,and it's giving people a heads up.With climate change,droughts..floods..etc..etc..etc.

It's comming folks..Cut-backs & doing what we can to pinch a penny.

I hope I'm not breaking the copyright rules here,and am giving credit to the Associated press for this article.

Here is another quote from this article with credits to David Stringer with the Associated Press--> "With food and energy prices soaring around the world, a constant supply of high-quality, affordable food is no longer guaranteed, the officials are warning Britons. That could mean an era of scarcity like Britain's 1940-54 food rationing, during the war and its aftermath."

The article focuses on what we waste at the dinner table as well,but I feel most of us watch what we cook,and don't make more than we eat to begin with..I certainly put my left-overs away if that becomes the case...:)

I wish all,or most of us had a spot in our backyards where one could put in a vegetable garden..as an added benifit.

I'm a big time tomato lover..and alot of us talked on making cut-backs when it comes to beer..smokes..and other pleasures we have..It's geting to the point alot more of us will have to do that..Because even making tacos for dinner will be that of a fillet mignon steak...What's next?..Giving up tacos because a tomato is to expensive,or sacraficing the cheese because that's up there in price too?

I don't feel like saying if one can relocate..to where a person can be a little more self-sufficient is a silly thing to say.Alot of people move all the time for better jobs,cheeper rent...and where the cost of living is more affordable.

Business works the same way as well...Just as well when people retire they sometimes make that big move too.

So it's going to be alot more than giving up smoking,and the beer folks.

I know that,and my original post had deeper meaning than the beer..and the food stamps etc...

I bet in a year from now..Twice as much more people will be living pay-check..to paycheck.

Just venting a little is all..:)

Lot of good replies to this..and all worthy.

Just up here in this shack..Beer makes everything so much easier it seems...Hahahaha..:)

Just was in poor spirits due to alot of crap thrown my way..Not just me per say..But up here in a small town where groceries,gas..and what business is here cators to the tourist etc.

I rented a house in town almost a couple years back,and your average sized house here uses about 1100 galons of heating oil..(no natural gas here).

With the price of that..Your average renter/owner would spend over 5000.00-6000.00 a winter to heat there home...It's horrible for renters & owners alike.

I'm lucky I use wood for my heat..

As far as the beer goes..It helps to numb the senses..No pun intended..:)

Not personaly gona go sign up for government assistance,but would not feel bad if the need arose.

I guess my point is..(tonight) that making cut-backs is gona be a thing for all of us...

Those who don't drink beer..will have to give up there pop & candybars as well...(smile).

I suppose having a town with a population of 2000..or less..Those people feel the brunt first when it comes to buying any kind of goods...aka the cost of living etc.

1100 gallons a year or a month? Because if that's what you're using a month, you've got a problem.

I use about 100 gallons a month in the cold months (and it gets cold here) so that averages out to be about .......800 gallons at the very most. Though I guess that's not such a big diff between mine and yours. You might have a longer winter or colder summers....if you're talking about yearly oil useage.

1100 gallons a year or a month? Because if that's what you're using a month, you've got a problem.

I use about 100 gallons a month in the cold months (and it gets cold here) so that averages out to be about .......800 gallons at the very most. Though I guess that's not such a big diff between mine and yours. You might have a longer winter or colder summers....if you're talking about yearly oil useage.

That's the winter months here near the Canadian Border in Minnesota.

Alot of these houses were built many years back..so that might just be a factor for your average older home in the area I live..I guess it all comes down to how well your home is insulated,and the size of your home etc..etc...One floor..Two stories etc..

Winter here starts..well it starts getting a tad chilly in October..and winter ends in April...(smile).

So it all depends as well..if your older,or younger too...Do you dress warm,and keep it turned down as low as it goes...or want to keep the house at 70 degrees etc...

I remember 3 years back..it was..ummmm?...It varies day..to day on the price of heating oil...On average lets say it was 2.55 a gallon even back then...It's almost/average 20-25 cents cheeper than diesel fuel..Gives ya an estimate a little.

My place used about 125 gallons a month..with the thermostat down as low as it could go..

It also depends on the winter..the demand etc..

One thing is for sure..it comes down to how old the house is too..Insulation back in those days..(smile)..Need I say more?..Hahahaha..:)

I can say...my assumptions are conversations with those who live here in my particular area..So I can base it on the rest of the country..or planting zones we have.

Most tanks average 250-300 gallons here..and it was not uncommon for folks to have them filled 3 times this last winter.

So it's easy to say..It's gona cost double to heat your home this year..than a couple years back...weather you live in Florida..or in Northern Minnesota.

The wood burning stove installers..and those who put in electric furnaces are busy this summer..because people are switching over to wood heat/combination..or going 100% electric..because it will be cheeper.

Last edited:
Better yet, demand the government quit forcing us to use ethanol, one of the main reasons food prices are going through the roof.

Here here. I been screaming this for years, and called a moron for it. People just do not get how many products contain or are fed corn.

Better yet, demand the government quit forcing us to use ethanol, one of the main reasons food prices are going through the roof.

How is the government forcing you to use ethanol? Are they setting up checkpoints on highways, and redirecting traffic to gas stations' ethanol pumps at gunpoint?

No one said you had to put ethanol in your car.

How is the government forcing you to use ethanol? Are they setting up checkpoints on highways, and redirecting traffic to gas stations' ethanol pumps at gunpoint?

No one said you had to put ethanol in your car.

Your a fool, the federal Government mandates certain ethanol levels be mixed into our gas. Jesus you need to pay attention. The also Mandate a summer mix and a winter mix. States also have their own mandates. Thanks for a good laugh idiot.

http://feinstein.senate.gov/05releases/r-ethanol-amndt.htm

Last edited:

Forum List

Back