FOOD - PRICE - SHORTAGE - CIVIL UNREST

u
I also offer up: Norman Borlaug, whose development of hybrid strains saved an estimated one billion people from starvation.

Norman Borlaug - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Sadly, all saving billions from starvation seems to do is allow billions to breed up billions more angry people.

Instead of working on increasing food supply to feed more, we should have a policy of providing clean, cheap food, water and housing to those who agree to sterilization.

There's a strong relationship of economic development and prosperity leading to lower birth rates. Unleash capitalism!

Haven't you heard, people are living longer these days, that is, unless you're poor.
Obesity and obesity related disorders are just devastating the poor.

Sad.
Obesity is NOT confined to the poor. Poor, rich, and super rich are obese. Illnesses of all types are affecting everyone alike. Being poor has absolutely nothing to do with it. We have many wealthy in hospitals and in cemeteries.

Obviously it is not confined to the poor, but studies show a relationship to poverty and obesity.

Why Low-Income and Food Insecure People are Vulnerable to Overweight and Obesity Food Research Action Center

The Economics of Obesity Why Are Poor People Fat

Do Food Stamps Make Poor People Fat
Studies also show a relationship between various social classes and such abuses and addictions as alcohol, illegal drugs, smoking, crimes, spousal and child abuse, etc., etc.

And your point is?

All of the above point to poverty and low education levels. Does that mean that there are no rich alcoholics or abusers? Of course not, but lower income folks are more susceptible.
I disagree. At any given time, anyone from any social class can get into the same habits. I fail to see where the poor are any more likely to over-eat than anyone else. I see just as many "large" people driving fine automobiles and I see "large" people driving cheap older automobiles. I see just as many "large" people living in big fine homes as I see "large" people living in older run-down homes. Anyone can be obese.

My point is stated above.

What would happen if many in American could no longer get access to adequate food? What would happen if there were a food shortage, not only in America, but around the globe? What extremes would people go to in order to avoid hunger and starvation?

Food prices are rising in America; researchers predict food shortages followed by mass riots. -- Food prices are rising in America researchers predict food shortages followed by mass riots - NaturalNews.com

(1) -- In America, the "land of plenty" so to speak, millions of our own citizens are going without enough food to eat (even as we subsidize food and send food to nations around the world).
(2) -- As reported by USA Today, a new report from a hunger-relief charity, Feeding America, notes that "based on 2012 federal survey data on 44,000 households, says 49 million Americans are 'food insecure' -- people who sometimes eat less, go hungry or eat less nutritious meals because they can't afford to eat better. Almost a third of them are children," the paper said.
(3) -- According to the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics, the vast majority of workers in private-sector employment make $35,000 a year or less, and that's before all of the taxes Americans are forced to pay.
(4) -- But there are other factors besides rising food costs that experts and historians agree can lead to instability within a country. Unemployment (or in the case of the United State, chronic underemployment), political oppression (which has gotten worse and worse in the U.S. over the past 50 years especially), economic instability (think of another economic collapse like the one which triggered the recent "Great Recession") and political corruption (think of the various and growing scandals within the current administration).
(5) -- "The analysis suggests the doubling of food prices we have seen since 2005 pushed many in the greatest poverty across the line from bare subsistence into desperation and starvation. When people are not able to feed their families, they have little to lose and become willing to take strong actions."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

******** -- With the talk in Washington concerning cuts in social programs, what alternative options will be left for those now living in poverty to get access to adequate food?

You will have your bread riots.

Then, maybe, people will stop screwing around and pay attention.

If the "Hunger Relief" people really cared about affordable food, then they would protest against ethanol (burning food for fuel), and in favor of GMO foods such as Golden Rice (which not only alleviates starvation but provides necessary nutrients to prevent blindness).

Just sayin'.

I suspect the makers of Agent Orange, and Roundup, don't have our best interest in mind, but you go right ahead. I will continue to support organic farmers.

Your army of strawmen are on fire.

Nope, there's no straw man. You should read up on Monsanto's past scandals, including their bovine growth hormone product. Maybe you don't understand the definition of "straw man." Straw man is where you misrepresent and make up a false argument, neither which I have done.

You are a blithering moron. Of course you spew your "Monsanto" blather instead of educating yourself of the benefits of GMO products to people who are starving.

I doubt you'll read the information at the link, but for those people with intellectual curiosity and open minds, I offer:

The Golden Rice Project

I don't have any problem specifically with golden rice. I do, however, have a problem with corporate control of agriculture, when that company has such a shady past record.

Last edited:
Obesity and obesity related disorders are just devastating the poor.

Sad.
Obesity is NOT confined to the poor. Poor, rich, and super rich are obese. Illnesses of all types are affecting everyone alike. Being poor has absolutely nothing to do with it. We have many wealthy in hospitals and in cemeteries.

Obviously it is not confined to the poor, but studies show a relationship to poverty and obesity.

Why Low-Income and Food Insecure People are Vulnerable to Overweight and Obesity Food Research Action Center

Studies also show a relationship between various social classes and such abuses and addictions as alcohol, illegal drugs, smoking, crimes, spousal and child abuse, etc., etc.

And your point is?

All of the above point to poverty and low education levels. Does that mean that there are no rich alcoholics or abusers? Of course not, but lower income folks are more susceptible.
I disagree. At any given time, anyone from any social class can get into the same habits. I fail to see where the poor are any more likely to over-eat than anyone else. I see just as many "large" people driving fine automobiles and I see "large" people driving cheap older automobiles. I see just as many "large" people living in big fine homes as I see "large" people living in older run-down homes. Anyone can be obese.

I never said the poor are eating more. It's the cheap food they're eating that is the problem. Cheap foods are fattening.

And your point is?

I never said the poor are eating more. It's the cheap food they're eating that is the problem. Cheap foods are fattening.
For the most part, yes, cheaper foods do appear to be, I agree. But, not everyone can afford to be health conscious, and those that can, often aren't. Thus the obesity among all social classes.

u
I also offer up: Norman Borlaug, whose development of hybrid strains saved an estimated one billion people from starvation.

Norman Borlaug - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Sadly, all saving billions from starvation seems to do is allow billions to breed up billions more angry people.

Instead of working on increasing food supply to feed more, we should have a policy of providing clean, cheap food, water and housing to those who agree to sterilization.

There's a strong relationship of economic development and prosperity leading to lower birth rates. Unleash capitalism!

Stats also show that educating women reduces the birth rate in areas where women have no options aside from marriage and childbearing. The moment that women are given options for their lives is the moment when they decide to plan their families, rather than resigning themselves to be brood mares.

And your point is?

For the most part, yes, cheaper foods do appear to be, I agree. But, not everyone can afford to be health conscious, and those that can, often aren't. Thus the obesity among all social classes.

This country is ignorant on what's healthy and what's unhealthy, for sure. Bill Maher made a good point on his show last week. He said something about how many doctors are asking their patients what they are eating. Doctors don't discuss healthy foods to their patients because they're too busy writing prescriptions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/health/16chen.html

What would happen if many in American could no longer get access to adequate food? What would happen if there were a food shortage, not only in America, but around the globe? What extremes would people go to in order to avoid hunger and starvation?

Food prices are rising in America; researchers predict food shortages followed by mass riots. -- Food prices are rising in America researchers predict food shortages followed by mass riots - NaturalNews.com

(1) -- In America, the "land of plenty" so to speak, millions of our own citizens are going without enough food to eat (even as we subsidize food and send food to nations around the world).
(2) -- As reported by USA Today, a new report from a hunger-relief charity, Feeding America, notes that "based on 2012 federal survey data on 44,000 households, says 49 million Americans are 'food insecure' -- people who sometimes eat less, go hungry or eat less nutritious meals because they can't afford to eat better. Almost a third of them are children," the paper said.
(3) -- According to the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics, the vast majority of workers in private-sector employment make $35,000 a year or less, and that's before all of the taxes Americans are forced to pay.
(4) -- But there are other factors besides rising food costs that experts and historians agree can lead to instability within a country. Unemployment (or in the case of the United State, chronic underemployment), political oppression (which has gotten worse and worse in the U.S. over the past 50 years especially), economic instability (think of another economic collapse like the one which triggered the recent "Great Recession") and political corruption (think of the various and growing scandals within the current administration).
(5) -- "The analysis suggests the doubling of food prices we have seen since 2005 pushed many in the greatest poverty across the line from bare subsistence into desperation and starvation. When people are not able to feed their families, they have little to lose and become willing to take strong actions."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

******** -- With the talk in Washington concerning cuts in social programs, what alternative options will be left for those now living in poverty to get access to adequate food?

Victory gardens.

Forum List

Back