Food Pantry Snobs.

We have a little food pantry where I work. But it was stocked by community organizations and they don't want us throwing it around. The recipient has to show he/she has already been to another local food pantry first. We are the food pantry of last resort. I haven't looked at what's there, but I doubt there is anything 'organic.' In KY, beggars still can't be choosers!

I have a lot of issues with the food pantries here in the city. Seeing it lined up on the street getting sold for 50 cents..... pisses the living shit out of me!

Or just free for the taking. I know there are a lot of people hurting, but they really should have to show that. I mean hoochie mammas are already scamming the system. Remember what happened after katrina with those debit cards that were supposed to be for food...people buying designer clothes with them?

I agree, ID should be required...along with prof of citizenship.

One of the scams here is grandma, grandpa, momma and dad all go and get a bag of food..and grandma sits on the street and sells it cheap

it pisses the hell out of me becasue i donate funds and product to food pantries....

I know... becasue she SAID it and SHOWED the pallet of Skippy she was bemoaning about that wasn't organic.

FYI.... i know the price of peanut butter is going up. Peanut butter is becoming a luxury at food pantries becasue of the cost.

So why would you use limited funds on higher priced snob organic food?

We have a little food pantry where I work. But it was stocked by community organizations and they don't want us throwing it around. The recipient has to show he/she has already been to another local food pantry first. We are the food pantry of last resort. I haven't looked at what's there, but I doubt there is anything 'organic.' In KY, beggars still can't be choosers!

I have a lot of issues with the food pantries here in the city. Seeing it lined up on the street getting sold for 50 cents..... pisses the living shit out of me!

Peanut butter has gone up a lot. I just buy Peter Pan but I think the lady in question may have been talking about generic brand peanut butter as opposed to Jiff or some name brand like that. Organic is very expensive and it certainly doesn't go a long way. The jars are small.

I don't even like it as well as Skippy.

I'm sorry but I just can't see a food distributor wanting to spend money like that. It just isn't possible.

Or just free for the taking. I know there are a lot of people hurting, but they really should have to show that. I mean hoochie mammas are already scamming the system. Remember what happened after katrina with those debit cards that were supposed to be for food...people buying designer clothes with them?

I agree, ID should be required...along with prof of citizenship.

One of the scams here is grandma, grandpa, momma and dad all go and get a bag of food..and grandma sits on the street and sells it cheap

it pisses the hell out of me becasue i donate funds and product to food pantries....

When the kids were in school us moms got fed up with their fund raisers. I saw a cake I paid $11.00 to make sell for $2.00. The next year, we just got together and all wrote a $50 check to the class. I felt it was money better spent. I think the food pantry business may be using the same false economy.

Peanut butter has gone up a lot. I just buy Peter Pan but I think the lady in question may have been talking about generic brand peanut butter as opposed to Jiff or some name brand like that. Organic is very expensive and it certainly doesn't go a long way. The jars are small.

I don't even like it as well as Skippy.

I'm sorry but I just can't see a food distributor wanting to spend money like that. It just isn't possible.

I know peanut butter has gone up alot. Most pantries cant afford it even as a generic.

This is San Francisco, liberal hell. Sure its possible. The director of this pantry was very very clear about being upset at not being able to afford high end high priced organic peanut butter.... as she felt that was "better for the people she served" ... then they panned over to the pallet of evil Skippy peanut butter. No mistake.

She was pissed at name brand Skippy peanut butter....

This was just on our local news, so i dont think there is a link for it sorry.

The local news here just ran a story for one of the surrounding cities food banks. The director of the food bank was saying how they want to give the clients they provide for high quality food with the money that they have.

I agree, high quality food is very important.

However, she was complaining they did not have enough funds and that they ..... oh no .... had to buy regular peanut butter since the price of peanut butter was so high now. Regular peanut better? It turns out she meant Skippy peanut as "regular" peanut butter.

I would appear that they prefer to purchase higher priced organic peanut butter to give out.

The story annoyed the hell out of me on several levels. First off if you are in need of help, demanding organic high priced anything is ridiculous. In my opinion Skippy peanut butter is just fine, so spending funding that is running thin on snob food is crazy.

sooo what now? I am expected to hit Nob Hill or Whole Foods to drop stuff in the first harvest barrels?

not a chance, I literally ate gov. cheese when I was growing up for a few years, good enough for me? good enough for them:eusa_hand:.... :cuckoo:

Oh of course, that evil liberal hell..

yep, sorry no offense, but can you see conservatives spending money on organic peanut butter for a food pantry? i sure cant.

We don't see Libs doing it either, we are just seeing your version of something you heard.

As i said in the op... it was a story run on the local news for their food drive for pantries. They went and interviewed directors of food pantry programs all over the bay area...

And that was one of them.

i looked for a link for the story but they did not put one up.

feel free to search....it was on ABC 7, the date of the OP at about 7:30 in the morning.

The local news here just ran a story for one of the surrounding cities food banks. The director of the food bank was saying how they want to give the clients they provide for high quality food with the money that they have.

However, she was complaining they did not have enough funds and that they ..... oh no .... had to buy regular peanut butter since the price of peanut butter was so high now. Regular peanut better? It turns out she meant Skippy peanut as "regular" peanut butter.

I would appear that they prefer to purchase higher priced organic peanut butter to give out.

The story annoyed the hell out of me on several levels. First off if you are in need of help, demanding organic high priced anything is ridiculous. In my opinion Skippy peanut butter is just fine, so spending funding that is running thin on snob food is crazy.

sooo what now? I am expected to hit Nob Hill or Whole Foods to drop stuff in the first harvest barrels?

not a chance, I literally ate gov. cheese when I was growing up for a few years, good enough for me? good enough for them:eusa_hand:.... :cuckoo:

:lol:

How do you KNOW she meant "skippy"? You failed to show us how YOU KNOW what she meant.

FYI: The price of peanut butter has gone up rather considerably of late.

Not sure why.

I know... becasue she SAID it and SHOWED the pallet of Skippy she was bemoaning about that wasn't organic.

FYI.... i know the price of peanut butter is going up. Peanut butter is becoming a luxury at food pantries becasue of the cost.

becasue in some folks minds, its their right....you could put the poor on a cruise ship to the Caribbean and the some would bitch they don't have first class cabins.......

Take a look at this...... makes you think twice doesn't ?

Seniors Bag Eats from Food Banks to Sell – Mission Loc@l : News From San Francisco's Mission District

How do you KNOW she meant "skippy"? You failed to show us how YOU KNOW what she meant.

FYI: The price of peanut butter has gone up rather considerably of late.

Not sure why.

becasue in some folks minds, its their right....you could put the poor on a cruise ship to the Caribbean and the some would bitch they don't have first class cabins.......

When I worked in TN I suggested that they give a one week cruise to every psych patient who could stay out of the hospital for a year. They cost thousands and thousands of taxpayer dollars to be revolving door patients in the mental facilities. I know some who WOULD have stayed out for a $1k cruise. They didn't think my idea was a very good one!

There are good people involved in the "food pantry" but listen closely to the ads. Nobody claims that Americans starve to death or are even malnourished because of lack of funds. The ads say that Americans "go to bed hungry". Did you ever see a teenager who wasn't hungry all the time? If you give everyone everything they want to eat all the time what do you think will be the result? The point is that good people will accept food if you give it away. The second point is that the United States is the greatest Country in the world and nobody has starved and no kid has been malnourished since FDR's "great depression". Lefties love to hate their Country and they will do everything in their power to create the impression to the world that Americans are second rate. It ain't true.

Take a look at this...... makes you think twice doesn't ?

Seniors Bag Eats from Food Banks to Sell – Mission Loc@l : News From San Francisco's Mission District

I don't know how the underground economy can be completely stopped. In the days before the projects every neighborhood had it's little shanty. There was one across the street from us, gone for years now, but then there was always some down and out family living in it. My mother used to keep the little girl for one of them who lived there so the woman could run a few errands. But she didn't have money to pay with, so she gave my mother some of their commodities each time she baby sat for her. Yes, it was government cheese and butter. And my mother never bought butter. Too expensive. She bought oleo. So the butter was a treat. But really she should have paid my mother something even though smy mother didn't ask for it. In this day, though, I doubt anyone would even offer to pay.

Last edited:
There are good people involved in the "food pantry" but listen closely to the ads. Nobody claims that Americans starve to death or are even malnourished because of lack of funds. The ads say that Americans "go to bed hungry". Did you ever see a teenager who wasn't hungry all the time? If you give everyone everything they want to eat all the time what do you think will be the result? The point is that good people will accept food if you give it away. The second point is that the United States is the greatest Country in the world and nobody has starved and no kid has been malnourished since FDR's "great depression". Lefties love to hate their Country and they will do everything in their power to create the impression to the world that Americans are second rate. It ain't true.

My mother used to talk of going to bed hungry during the Hoover administration. She suffered the ill effects of malnutrition in those days for the rest of her life. But she let the family eat and she took what was left. I wasn't born then. We lived far better in KY after FDR. She would not approve of what is going on now.

Last edited:
I love me some Jiffy Peanut Butter sammiches and a cold glass of milk. Bring it on. You can keep all that organic crap.

I love me some Jiffy Peanut Butter sammiches and a cold glass of milk. Bring it on. You can keep all that organic crap.

Meeeeeeeeee2. That organic stuff is disgusting. Because it tastes like peanuts. And I hate peanuts. Unless they have a pound of salt on them, or two pounds of chocolate. But Jiffy.......yep. That's as good as it gets!

Forum List

Back