Food Pantry Snobs.

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010
This was just on our local news, so i dont think there is a link for it sorry.

The local news here just ran a story for one of the surrounding cities food banks. The director of the food bank was saying how they want to give the clients they provide for high quality food with the money that they have.

I agree, high quality food is very important.

However, she was complaining they did not have enough funds and that they ..... oh no .... had to buy regular peanut butter since the price of peanut butter was so high now. Regular peanut better? It turns out she meant Skippy peanut as "regular" peanut butter.

I would appear that they prefer to purchase higher priced organic peanut butter to give out.

The story annoyed the hell out of me on several levels. First off if you are in need of help, demanding organic high priced anything is ridiculous. In my opinion Skippy peanut butter is just fine, so spending funding that is running thin on snob food is crazy.

so only the rich should have organic healthy foods? is that what you are implying?

myself....i think the basic food groups should be free.....milk, beans, rice, corn.....you can live all that forever....if you want more ...then you work for it

• Banned
so only the rich should have organic healthy foods? is that what you are implying?

myself....i think the basic food groups should be free.....milk, beans, rice, corn.....you can live all that forever....if you want more ...then you work for it

Not at all bones. I am saying that high priced "organic" products are not what food pantries should be wasting limited money on.

If a case of Skippy is $27 and a case of organic peanut butter is $50...i would think it is more important to feed as many people as you can instead of feeding fewer on snob organic food products.

As you said, if people want more they can work for it. If they will only eat organic peanut butter...they can buy it.

we use organic peanut butter...they say if you only buy one thing organic...peanut butter is what you buy....peanuts are a root crop and really take on what why are spray with....

myself....i dont care for peanut butter...but hubby is a junkie

• Banned
we use organic peanut butter...they say if you only buy one thing organic...peanut butter is what you buy....peanuts are a root crop and really take on what why are spray with....

myself....i dont care for peanut butter...but hubby is a junkie

I am not saying that organic peanut butter is a bad thing. But if that is the shill they are using to try and pry money out of us to donate to the pantry..... its not going over well with me.

I don't anyone ever accused Skippy peanut butter of being healthy or organic. There is little difference between Skippy and generic peanut butter. The left has been whining about generic drugs for years but they can't seem to authorize generic peanut butter to be given people in need. The world is upside down in the minds of radical lefties.

Aside from the fact (;)) that Jiffy peanut butter is the best, yes, that is sad.

Skippy was always my fave until a few months ago, when I switched to the Walmart brand, Great Value, and *love* it. The savings, combined with the texture and flavor, are all very palatable. Yum. :eusa_clap:

food banks are on the ropes at all times.....i dont see buying organic unless you can get a killer price.....i would think bigger companies like skippy etc would be able to bargain with food banks a little better....

i would love to buy more organic and buy truffles.....i cant afford some organics and sure the hell cant afford truffles ....

Not at all bones. I am saying that high priced "organic" products are not what food pantries should be wasting limited money on.

If a case of Skippy is $27 and a case of organic peanut butter is $50...i would think it is more important to feed as many people as you can instead of feeding fewer on snob organic food products.

As you said, if people want more they can work for it. If they will only eat organic peanut butter...they can buy it.

I completely agree with you. Hell I would go with generic peanut butter frankly. You will fill more homeless bellies on a ton of generic rather than a little bit of organic. If I was a donor to that food bank I'd be pissed.

but can you see in a way that makes the poor even a poor class....given the worse of the worse....face it commercial foods are fun of junk and sugar

food banks are on the ropes at all times.....i dont see buying organic unless you can get a killer price.....i would think bigger companies like skippy etc would be able to bargain with food banks a little better....

i would love to buy more organic and buy truffles.....i cant afford some organics and sure the hell cant afford truffles ....

Which is my point bones. If you don't think that organic peanut butter is worth the money or cant afford it... .why in the hell should a food pantry be crying that they can .....:eek: only afford to give away.....regular old Skippy peanut butter.

mmmm and truffle peanut better sounds great! :)

I completely agree with you. Hell I would go with generic peanut butter frankly. You will fill more homeless bellies on a ton of generic rather than a little bit of organic. If I was a donor to that food bank I'd be pissed.

Bingo. We donate both goods and funds to food banks. I am more then a bit annoyed.

I agree...i would have thought they were complaining about moving from Skippy to generic as "regular" peanut butter.

Remember the Seinfeld episode 'muffin stumps' when the director of the food bank pitched a fit because the donated muffins didn't have tops?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eipl17WpOo]The Muffin Stumps!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Let's check the logic. The left thinks Skippy should "bargan with food banks" while food banks can get all the generic peanut butter they can store at a good price. I buy generic stuff in Walmart. Why should I spend more money for the right label? It seems that nobody is whining about the issue except food bank snobs.

Free? As in the producers of these items should not get paid for their produce? Yea, that'll work.... for as long as it takes for each and every one of those producers to go bankrupt.

Oh, you mean that taxpayers should pay for it, right?

Nothing in life is 'free'. Nothing. Don't like it? Don't live.

The dirty little secret is that the generic peanut butter and foods with other generic labels are often manufactured by companies with trendy names that libs love. What do you think you get with the bulk stuff sold in Costco under the Kirkland label? You get quality food at a decent price. You almost gotta laugh that libs want trendy labels on food pantry stuff so they can feel warm and fuzzy about poverty.

The dirty little secret is that the generic peanut butter and foods with other generic labels are often manufactured by companies with trendy names that libs love. What do you think you get with the bulk stuff sold in Costco under the Kirkland label? You get quality food at a decent price. You almost gotta laugh that libs want trendy labels on food pantry stuff so they can feel warm and fuzzy about poverty.

Is peanut butter truly a partisan issue? Really, has it come to this?

Forum List

Back