Fonda, Steinem and Rosie Challenge Rush, ‘Male Point of View'

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Lowell Ponte
Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2006

Jane Fonda, Gloria Steinem and Rosie O'Donnell are backing a new left-wing radio network that plans to appeal to women listeners and counter the dominance of conservative talk radio and its "male point of view."

The new talk radio network is called GreenStone and will be officially launched on Sept. 12, 2006. Its Web site describes it as "a clear alternative to the polarizing, highly political talk commonly heard on AM radio."

Steinhem, in a recent interview with the New York Times, has also made clear that her network is at war with Rush Limbaugh for audience share.

"We know what women want," says GreenStone's mission statement, "and have the entertainment, political, social and business connections to deliver it . . . . Our goal is to build the leading brand for women's talk programming."

What women want to hear on the radio, according to GreenStone's Web site list of topics, ranges from plastic surgery to feng shui, and from how to work at home to cooking and spring cleaning tips.

"Women are ready for a new kind of talk that speaks directly to them on the issues they care about most," says GreenStone's Web site, quoting research it commissioned. "Women want ‘useful information,' something ‘lighter and more entertaining' than political talk shows . . . " The network says it will offer a "steady diet of entertainment, health and fitness, and relationships – delivered with lots of fun and laughter."

GreenStone claims it will deliver de-politicized, de-polarized talk radio by women hosts for female listeners. (I bet)

But among this new network's creators and biggest investors – who as of last March had secured $3.1 million in venture capital to launch it - are left-wing activist-actress Fonda, radical feminist Steinem and O'Donnell, the strident, liberal, anti-gun crusader comedian and new co-host of 'The View.'

"The radio has become overbalanced toward the ultra-right," Steinem said in a recent New York Times Magazine interview, making clear she doesn't like the political slant of Limbaugh, America's top talker.

"AM talk radio does not reflect the fact that only 30 percent of the country, at the most, is anywhere near Rush Limbaugh," Steinem said.

Among GreenStone's nine corporate directors are Fonda and Steinem. Its board also includes Robin Morgan, the "Global Editor" of the radical feminist magazine Ms., founded more than two decades ago by Steinem.

Morgan is a former child star and longtime left activist who once staged a witchcraft protest against the House Un-American Activities Committee. She is editor of the classic radical feminist anthology "Sisterhood Is Powerful."

"White males," Morgan wrote in a 1970 essay, "are most responsible for the destruction of human life and environment on the planet today."

Another GreenStone board member is Gail Evans, who "participated in the founding of CNN in 1980" with former Fonda husband and liberal activist Ted Turner. holy molly, two Ex's of Ted Truner working together):eek:

When Steinem was asked by the New York Times Magazine if "your radio network [is] the female version of Al Franken's left-leaning Air America Radio," she replied: "No. No. They are very Washington-directed, very argumentative. What we are doing is more populist, centrist and community-oriented."

Steinem distances her new network from Air America Radio, but GreenStone has been renting studio and satellite time from Piquant LLC, the corporate entity that owns Air America Radio.

Through its business ties, GreenStone has reportedly made payments to Piquant that average more than $25,000 per month for spare broadcast facilities. GreenStone has thereby helped keep Air America Radio on the air.

Did Steinem, Fonda and GreenStone's other left-activist board members, managers and investors really expend huge effort and more than $3 million to create a new "niche" radio network merely to air "centrist" talk shows that tell female listeners how to clean their closets and cook a mean meatloaf?

If GreenStone is merely a money-making attempt to attract women with a female-oriented network, its other investors like tennis star Billie Jean King ought to know that previous attempts to do this – such as the cable TV channels Lifetime and Oprah Winfrey's Oxygen – have had only limited success. ABC Radio failed in its attempt to build 24/7 female-oriented talk radio programming in Los Angeles, and its lifestyle-focused, female-oriented national show "Satellite Sisters" has had a hard time gaining affiliates.

Until now, most women who wanted to hear about relationships tuned to female radio psychologists. Those who wanted serenity tuned to music stations. And those who wanted lifestyle advice or humor turned to cable television's HGTV, Style, Bravo, Comedy Central and other channels where things can be seen as well as heard.

Or could GreenStone be a "stealth" network designed to wear a disguise of apolitical camouflage so it can fly below the radar to conquer American women with its concealed left-liberal agenda?

Approximately one-third of today's conservative talk radio listeners are women, a worrisome thought to Democratic power players.

GreenStone apparently will use a softer propaganda technique – and make a play at those women listeners with the goal of becoming commercially viable.

At first blush, the network's radio hosts aren't known as polemicists. GreenStone's midday host is Rolanda Watts, a veteran of Los Angeles radio, New York City television and (like Bill O'Reilly) the syndicated entertainment show Inside Edition. Its morning hosts, "The Three Ritas," are writer-comedians Cory Kaheney, Nelsie Spencer and Maureen Langan, recipient of Planned Parenthood's Maggie Award. Its afternoon show is hosted by author Lisa Birnbach, author of "The Official Preppy Handbook." Its later show, "Women Aloud," is co-hosted by actor-comedienne Mo Gaffney and either fellow feminist-actress Kathy Najimy or actress Shana Wride, star of the stage play "Women Who Steal." Except for Watts, GreenStone's hosts have little or no proven experience as radio hosts.

As of Aug. 24, GreenStone had only three affiliates – WXCT AM 990, a 2,500-watt station in Southington, Conn., already airing an "off-Broadway" pre-launch version of "The Three Ritas," along with stations signed in Albany, N.Y., and Jackson, Miss. But the network says it's aiming to be carried mostly on "no static at all" FM stations, which it predicts will be dropping their music formats as upscale music listeners switch to commercial-free digital satellite music programming.

GreenStone, originally known as the "Women's Radio Network LLC," took its current name from an Alice Walker short story about a magic stone that turns dark when the person owning it lacks integrity or honor. Time will tell whether GreenStone turns to gold by creating an advertiser-desired "new paradigm" of successful female-only talk radio – or goes dark.
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2006/9/5/181056.shtml?s=lh

AND I have the perfect motto for them to use..

Come and listen to the Bitches of the Three Witches.....:
:eek: :tng:

A traitor, a loudmouth dyke and a feminazi what a freaking team! Get out the swastikas people, Gloria, Jane and Rosie are going to be telling us all about the evils of men, Christians, America, Republicans, men, Bush, the military, men, a free market economy, Christians, men, the ten commandments, men, Christians, America, middle class values, men, Christians, Karl Rove, Cheney, and did I mention men and Christians?

There will be more hatred spewing out of that network than the most virulent Nazi rally at Nuremberg.

BTW.... I recommend that Jane Fonda do her show from her prison cell.... oh, wait, the government doesn't have the fortitude to throw that traitorous scumbag in prison where she belongs... never mind.

I agree with everybody's comments, but another point is that no way does Rush Limbaugh represent most males in this country thank all gods. He is a weeniehead. And those broads don't represent most women in this country. I guess this proves that radio is a wasteland.

I agree with everybody's comments, but another point is that no way does Rush Limbaugh represent most males in this country thank all gods. He is a weeniehead. And those broads don't represent most women in this country. I guess this proves that radio is a wasteland.

Just how does it prove that???? it proves that some radio programs are a waste of time, that I can agree with.

Just how does it prove that???? it proves that some radio programs are a waste of time, that I can agree with.

These extremists are posing as the voice of the people. The music on the radio SUCKS at least 95% of the time. And there are too many commercials. Radio could be such a beautiful thing, but it's boring, stupid and populated with fools.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dan
Just what women of America need... one Fem Nazi(Gloria)... one confused lesbian(Rosie) and of course Jane 'Hanoi'Hilton who did the entire General staff of the NVA and a few 'Charlies' thrown in for good measure to blast all of our young soldiers doing their duty in VN!:dev3: THEM!

Take note: www.1cda.org/VN beer break.htm no 'Mary Jane' smoked here...just beer,cigars,cards and lotsa attitude...anti Jane and Kerry squad...lol

What women want to hear on the radio, according to GreenStone's Web site list of topics, ranges from plastic surgery to feng shui, and from how to work at home to cooking and spring cleaning tips.

So what is it they have to offer an audience, all of this is already available on cable t.v. ?

In 1992, when Clinton was elected to office, they said Rush was through. Well, he flourished. Then, in 1994, the voter revolution ejected the Democratic power from Washington, and they said Rush would be no more. Then, 2000 hit. Clinton was gone for office forever, having narrowly dodged criminal charges and failing to accomplish anything worthwhile, and Rush gave this very speech on the air, amid critics' cries that his ratings would plummet, with a Republican majority now controlling 2 branches of government and eliminating his fodder. The Democrats, however, were still there, and as long as they continue to do entertaining things, Limbaugh persevered. Then, Air America went live. Many said it would be a death knell for Limbaugh. Surely, nobody would listen to Limbaugh when there was something else talk on the air besides sports and conservatism. Air America tanked. Limbaugh's ratings soared. Even Bill O'Reilly, one of the top rated news commentary hosts on TV, could not trounce America's Truth Detector, and while O'Reilly remains popular, he's often on tape delay to make room for Rush live. Then Rush was booted off ESPN on bogus charges of racism. "No one will listen to a rascist," chimed in the critics. It was not so. He is still the #1 rated in his slot. Then he was caught with a drug addiction. He got on the air and admitted the whole thing, making no excuses and asking for nothing more than a speck of understanding and an ounce of prayer. Despite the forgiveness and even hero worship of hundreds of celebrity drug addicts in the past, the critics chimed in on cue, "No self-respecting conservative would ever listen to a drug addict." Conservatives, however, forgive those who are truly sorry and who ask it. Rush is still on top of the game. Now, yet another schmuck is getting into the business. Three schmucks. The squawkings of Rosie O'Donnel are barely relevant. Hanoi Jane is probably one of the most hated celebrities of all time. Steinem only has one audience. These three harpies think they can take on America's Anchorman? Don't make me laugh.

You can't defeat the Godfather.

limbaugh.jpg

I'd have to poke my eardurms out with a hot poker, if I was forced to listen to those three screeching old hags........:eek:

:laugh:

I'd have to poke my eardurms out with a hot poker, if I was forced to listen to those three screeching old hags........:eek:

:laugh:

Well Im a woman (so Im told) and I have no interest in listening to those three....I do however listen to Rush every once in a while and relate to some of what he says.

Well Im a woman (so Im told) and I have no interest in listening to those three....I do however listen to Rush every once in a while and relate to some of what he says.

I'm with ya Bonnie..

I like Rush and will listen to him when I can..
My favorite is Laura Ingraham..

That too. The airwaves belong to the people but our government has whored them out to any scumbag who wants them. It's a crime against the people.
"Crime against the people" sounds like something out of the communist manifesto. The free market determines what goes on the radio and on TV. Like it or not, and I don't, people go for sitcoms, game shows, and reality series. I wonder why I pay 50 some bucks a month for cable when I when I watch so little of it.

As for radio, if you think the radio stations in your area are bad, try listening to the radio stations here in Upstate New York... talk about death by boredom! I listen to online radio myself, it is much more interesting, there are thousands of stations... and frankly, I think that's the way of the future.

People go for talk shows with a conservative point of view, whereas radio networks that are liberal like AirAmerica and PBS, can't survive without public funding or large infusions of cash from George Soros. That should tell you what people in this country really think. They don't think like Park Avenue refugees like dear ol' Jane Fongool or Rosie O'Dumbo.

In fact, those three hags probably.
1. Don't do their own grocery shopping, the maid and the butler probably do that.
2. Don't do their laundry, they have a maid or a butler for that, too
3. Prepare their own meals, unless they're on a cooking show, that's what hired chefs are for.
4. Raise their kids, if they have any, that's what nannies are for
5. Do their own housework.. cleaning a toilet? dusting! Heavens! They don't have time for such mundane physical toil, they're out saving women and the world from George W Bush!
6. Pay their own bills, they have an accountant or a book keeper doing that for them
7. Have to show up at work on time and answer to a boss each freaking day and put up with crap from customers and fellow employees...

So, considering those seven points, is it any wonder that they are completely out of touch with Miss or Mrs Jane Doe? They have no freaking clue of what the average American woman actually has to deal with every day. In fact, they ought to get Paris Hilton thrown into the mix as well, she's as clueless as they are. But at least Paris Hilton has one redeeming feature, she doesn't pretend to be anything but what she is, an airheaded, shallow bimbo that was born with a silver spoon in her mouth.

Lord in heaven, why do people admire idiots like them!?!??!?? I'll bet a million dollars that if I you compared Jane, Rosie, Gloria and Paris with my Mom, my aunts, the ladies I work with or most, if not all, of the female posters on this message board that you'd find those four to be wanting and in a big way. Ms Jane Average has a lot more character than all four of those whatever-they-are ever thought of having or ever will!

Lowell Ponte
Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2006
Jane Fonda, Gloria Steinem and Rosie O'Donnell are backing a new left-wing radio network that plans to appeal to women listeners and counter the dominance of conservative talk radio and its "male point of view."

"We know what women want," says GreenStone's mission statement, "and have the entertainment, political, social and business connections to deliver it . . . . Our goal is to build the leading brand for women's talk programming."

"Women are ready for a new kind of talk that speaks directly to them on the issues they care about most," says GreenStone's Web site, quoting research it commissioned. "Women want ‘useful information,' something ‘lighter and more entertaining' than political talk shows . . . " The network says it will offer a "steady diet of entertainment, health and fitness, and relationships – delivered with lots of fun and laughter."

So we are going back to the days when newspapers had a "Women" section, filled with recipes and such. Succumbing to feminism and PC pressure, newspapers changed the name to something like the "Life" section. It wasn't so long ago that Gloria Steinem was instrumental in persuading our society that it was wrong to portray women's interests as being different from men's. That that is somehow inferior. How ironic that she is in this new venture, where women's interests are once again defined as less "political" and more traditionally feminine than men's.

I find it rather insulting that I as a woman am not supposed to be interested in listening to someone talk about just politics and current events. Once again, the lib feminists are hypocritical. And wrong.

New Topics

Forum List

Back