Fond Memories of Old TV

Oh, man, you just zinged me big-time. Got my hopes up for nothin'!

Here's my list of shows on DVD that I wanna get eventually, but keep hemming and hawing about whenever I get to the store:

Undeclared
Freaks and Geeks
The Brak Show
Super Milk Chan
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Simpsons (season 4 on)
South Park (season 5 or so on)

last i read was it was supposed to be out. blame the company for the delay. the undeclared set is really good. its got an un aired episode and an "alternate" episode where in instead of going to see american pie they go to a ted nugent speech. ted's a crack up in it. i'm waiting on the wonder years dvd sets. it'll be awhile because of all the music in it. they can't get all the people to re liscense the songs for the dvds and that show needs the music!

i'm waiting on the wonder years dvd sets. it'll be awhile because of all the music in it. they can't get all the people to re liscense the songs for the dvds and that show needs the music!

Absolutely. I'd love to have those on DVD.

Do you remember the show The State that was on MTV around '94, '95? They've been trying to put that out on DVD for years and it's the same kind of issue, a very large portion of the show incorporated the music MTV was playing at the time (since it was actually halfway decent back then) into the sketches, and most of them wouldn't make sense without the music.

Now that I think about it, I was around 10 or 11 when I first started watching MTV, but there was some GREAT stuff on there back then. Beavis & Butthead, The State, The Maxx, The Head, Dead at 21..... All this and they still found time to show videos! I know I'm too young to be talking about the good old days, but man, those were it.

the beavis and butthead dvd are good. they cut the music videos in the episodes but they have some of them on a seperate disc which was a good idea. it wouldn't surprise me if you could find episodes of the state online at some fan site

I have those Beavis and Butthead DVDs, they are really good. Though, I always felt the shows worked better, rhythm-wise, with the music videos incorporated into the episodes.

There was a great site for The State, statemedia.net, but it either got shut down, or they just closed it down. Even so, watching a 3X3 video of a bootleg just isn't the same as having it on DVD.

hit tvshowsondvd.com and vote for it. they pass along the shows that get the most votes to the studios. thats how seaquest dsv got onto dvd. they even featured in the ad that it got top votes on tvshowsondvd.com!

That's cool, I'll do it.

I know Freaks and Geeks only made it to DVD because of an online petition, and as a thank you, the creator, Judd Apatow, listed every name inside the special edition, and actually let fans submit pictures for the special edition (it's got a yearbook theme). A friend of mine is actually on there.

Dan said:
That's cool, I'll do it.

I know Freaks and Geeks only made it to DVD because of an online petition, and as a thank you, the creator, Judd Apatow, listed every name inside the special edition, and actually let fans submit pictures for the special edition (it's got a yearbook theme). A friend of mine is actually on there.

i've been meaning to get the freeks and geeks set but everytime i'm about to i always end up getting the newest set of what ever set i already started. like the simpsons or south park etc tec. but nowadays you got to be careful because they are now releasing series box sets that are like half the price of what you would pay for indvidual sets. look at the buffy the vampire slayer series. 7 seasons at we'll say 35 bucks a set on average runs you about $245 but you could buy the full series box for $140! talk about getting burned if you already had the 7 individual seasons! i was going to start getting mash sets but now i hear they are also thinking about doing a box set so i'll wait.

I'm like that with Freaks and Geeks, I always go to the store with the intention of buying it, but then find something else that I'd rather get.

But, at least you know you won't get burned with a box set on Freaks and Geeks, since only the one season was made.

I tried really hard, but I was never able to get into Buffy. I'm not really into sci-fi/horror shows at all, although I did like The X-Files, and Twin Peaks (though that wasn't really sci-fi or horror, I guess).

when i first heard they were making a tv called buffy the vampire slayer all i could think about was that shitty movie. that reminds me of a story sarah michelle geller told about the show on leno. she was talking to kiefer sutherland and he asked her what she was working on and she told him it was a new show called buffy the vampire slayer. he said i think my dad was in a movie called that. wait! their making a tv show of THAT! funny stuff. i didn't get into buffy till after season two when i got a chance to see the reruns in the summer. i got hooked. the early episodes and seasons are very funny and quick witted. the later seasons 4-7 got darker but still fun. its a well written show. i watched the x files as well. i was going to get the dvds a few years ago but they were a hundred+ bucks per set so i passed. they have been re released at a much lower price though

I was into the X-Files big-time for a long time, but after a while, it just started to seem like they didn't really have a master plan and that they were just jerking you around. After a while, it was just like "tonight on X-Files, YOU FIND OUT EVERYTHING!!!!!", then you find out, I don't know, what kind of shoes Mulder's sister was wearing when she disappeared or something. Did they ever reveal all of the mysteries on that show? I stopped watching completely about a year before Duchovny left the show.

Dan said:
I'm like that with Freaks and Geeks, I always go to the store with the intention of buying it, but then find something else that I'd rather get.

But, at least you know you won't get burned with a box set on Freaks and Geeks, since only the one season was made.

I tried really hard, but I was never able to get into Buffy. I'm not really into sci-fi/horror shows at all, although I did like The X-Files, and Twin Peaks (though that wasn't really sci-fi or horror, I guess).

Twin Peaks Rocks! One of my favorite shows ever.

That and Miami Vice (Sleuth TV is showing them now..from the pilot episode on...).

tvland has been running miami vice as well. they should cut down on sandford and son and add the wonder years into the lineup. its not on any station or dvd. wtf!

I bought my Dad the second season of Miami Vice for Christmas (he already had the first one).

I definitely like the Wonder Years, but I always felt like I was missing out on the "universality" of it. Like, when I watch it, I assume they're going for stuff that everyone has been through, but I never really had a cute girl next door, or had a few friends over that developed into a wild party, or anything like that.

there were a lot of things people could relate too not just the cute girl or the party ones. like the shit that goes on in school, the politics of the tables in the cafe, stress over tests, the older brother bullshit etc etc. i didn't throw parties at my house but this one girl in my class threw a party once and they did over $50,000 dollars in damage to the house. things like the dishes getting broken,toilet busted and even the deck got ripped off the house! i don't know how they did it (i wasn't there) but they did

I had a few people over in high school when my parents went out of town, but I only had about 10, 15 people over. But, the next-door neighbor told my mom, so I got in trouble for it.

Forum List

Back