Fond Memories of Old TV

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
I know I started the TV sucks thread, but it wasn't always so. I was talking with some co-workers recently of our fond memories of bygone TV shows, so I was wondering what stuff you wish still came on. I'll get the ball rolling with a few of my childhood favorites.

Danger Mouse (Mom just ordered seasons 1-4. She loves it, too.)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
G.I. Joe
Transformers
Doug (the good one on Nickelodeon, not the craptastical one on ABC)
Rugrats (before the first movie)
Double Dare (If anyone adds the number 2000 to the end of this again, they will be castrated. Notice how I didn't same 'chemically.")

Here are some of my favorites when I was a kid back in the 1960s.... it probably explains why I have such an overactive imagination! :) I used to watch more TV than I should have, but we moved when I was 9 or 10 and the neighborhood kids were kind of tough. I didn't fit in, so TV was part of my escape mechanism.

Lost In Space
Man From Uncle
Star Trek (the original)
Green Acres
The Munsters
Space Ghost (cartoon)
Gomer Pyle USMC
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Invaders
The Fantastic Four (cartoon)
Marvel Superheroes (cartoon)
The Addams Family
Wild, Wild West
Get Smart

From childhood? Egads...

Woody Woodpecker
Electric Company
Howdy Doody
Bewitched
I Love Lucy
Mr. Magoo
The Munsters

That's about it.. Never really watched TV too much as a kid.. Still don't...

Hobbit, it would appear that you and I are close to the same age, I remember a lot of those shows, too.

Remember when Nickelodeon showed that show Pinwheel all morning, for like five hours straight? I loved it, that was my favorite show as a kid.

Some others....

Dukes of Hazzard
Today's Special
Pete and Pete
Clarissa Explains it All
Salute Your Shorts
COPS (the cartoon, not the reality show, does anyone else remember it?)
Ren & Stimpy
Count Duckula
Bananaman

And I would add Twilight Zone, Chiller theatre, Land of The Giants, Love American Style, Wings, Millenium.

Bonnie said:
And I would add Twilight Zone, Chiller theatre, Land of The Giants, <b>Love American Style</b>, Wings, Millenium.

Totally forgot about that one...

Leave it to Beaver!
Gilligan’s Island

Lost In Space
Man From Uncle
Star Trek (the original)
Green Acres
The Munsters
Gomer Pyle USMC
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Addams Family
Get Smart
Twilight Zone
Outter Limits
Alfred Hitchcock had something on I liked, but I don’t recall the title.

And the one I always had my daughter watch on PBS
Wishbone….What a great show that is/was..

Doug (Nickelodeon one)
Rugrats (before the movie, Hobbit's a smart fella)
Wishbone
magic schoolbus

that's all I can think of.

Hobbit said:
Doug (the good one on Nickelodeon, not the craptastical one on ABC)
Double Dare (If anyone adds the number 2000 to the end of this again, they will be castrated. Notice how I didn't same 'chemically.")

I agree! These two were so great to watch.

Dan said:
Pete and Pete
Clarissa Explains it All
Salute Your Shorts
Ren & Stimpy

These were the best ever! That and Looney Tunes-the non-politically corrected ones.

I can't understand what is so appealing about the anime kids are so fascinated with today. They all look the same and their eyes shake like they're on crack.

Dan said:
COPS (the cartoon, not the reality show, does anyone else remember it?)
Yes! I went to daycare at this lady's house, and she watched her grandson as well, and he HAD to watch this show every day... it wasn't that bad, just not my cup of tea.

Some of my favorites not listed previously:

Hey Dude (I am probably the only one who watched this show...)
Blossom (yes...i watched it...)
ALF
Small Wonder
Out of this World
SeaQuest -ok, not really from childhood, more like pre-teen-I had a crush on Jonathan Brandis. I was kinda depressed when I heard about his death by suicide.
Silver Spoons (young Ricky Schroeder was such a cutie!)
My Two Dads
Family Ties
Doogie Howser MD

fuzzy kitten..These were the best ever! That and Looney Tunes-the non-politically corrected ones.

:D I was watching a cartoon last night, I think it was the one with the racoon with the mask, I forget his name, anyway there was an arabian character dressed in full turban and pantalooons brandishing a giant machetti and all I could do was laugh and think how politically incorrect this was by today's standards.

These were the best ever! That and Looney Tunes-the non-politically corrected ones.
I really respect Warner Brothers for putting out their original cartoons on DVD completely uncut. I mean, anybody old enough to get the jokes behind Bugs Bunny being in blackface or whatever is a complete retard if they decide to start hating people based on a cartoon that was made 60 years ago. And, I doubt any kids watching them will get the jokes anyway.

I only wish certain other companies had the balls to put out their "non-PC" stuff from the past (*cough, cough* Disney, *cough*).

I can't understand what is so appealing about the anime kids are so fascinated with today. They all look the same and their eyes shake like they're on crack.

I definitely have more respect for adult anime, but crap like Pokemon, I don't get it at all.

Yes! I went to daycare at this lady's house, and she watched her grandson as well, and he HAD to watch this show every day... it wasn't that bad, just not my cup of tea.

I'm sure like every other late-80's cartoon, it was just a half-hour commercial for action figures and stuff. Even Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which I LOVED was nothing but a big advertisement.

Hey Dude (I am probably the only one who watched this show...)

I watched it every once in a while, if I was really bored, kinda like Kid's Court or Are You Afraid of the Dark?

What did they say about a wild jackrabbit in the theme song? I still to this day get that song stuck in my head sometimes. "It's a little hot and a little strange/When you make your home out on the range...."

And, I can't believe we haven't mentioned You Can't Do That on Television yet! Shame on all of us!

Blossom (yes...i watched it...)

This show led me to asking my mom what a "period" was when I was like eight years old, so I was banned from watching it. I thank my mom every day for that decision!

My Two Dads

That was okay. My real favorites, though, were Perfect Strangers and Just the Ten of Us. I had a crush on Jamie Luner before I even knew what a crush was!

And, of course, Full House, but that's just a given.

I can't really remember anything about Small Wonder or Out of This World, but I do remember watching them a few times.

The Rat Patrol
The Rifleman
Johnny Quest
The Herculoids
Space Ghost
Frankenstein Junior
Star Trek
Bugs Bunny/Daffy/Road Runner/Speedy Gonzalez
Monty Python
Dr. Who
Columbo
Gilligan's Island
Andy Griffith

I was watching a cartoon last night, I think it was the one with the racoon with the mask, I forget his name, anyway there was an arabian character dressed in full turban and pantalooons brandishing a giant machetti and all I could do was laugh and think how politically incorrect this was by today's standards.
I was watching a Tom & Jerry the other night, one where Tom gives Jerry an exploding cigar. It blows up, and Jerry looks at the camera, with full-on blackface. It really catches you off-guard, doesn't it?

Anyway, I was really offended, so I wrote an angry letter to my cable company! :p:

Dan said:
I was watching a Tom & Jerry the other night, one where Tom gives Jerry an exploding cigar. It blows up, and Jerry looks at the camera, with full-on blackface. It really catches you off-guard, doesn't it?

Anyway, I was really offended, so I wrote an angry letter to my cable company! :p:

Don't hold your breath for a reply :laugh:

I used to watch "Hey Dude" a lot. It was amusing. Anyway, the line you're thinking of is "Watch out for those man eating jackrabbits and those killer cacti." I can't believe I still remember that.

I remember what I was gonna say!

Happy Days (though in retrospect it was kinda gay)
The Brady Bunch

and most of all.....

The Wonder Years

BattleStar Gallactica - when I was 10. Actually today's version is MUCH better. :)

V The mini-series AND the series.

Land of the Lost

Three Stooges - except with Shemp

Star Trek
The Wonder Years
Knight Rider
Miami Vice
McGuyver
G.I.Joe
Voltron
Gilligan's Island

:thup: