Foals Spank Young Boys to Secure UEFA Champion's League Spot

Stasha_Sz

Gold Member
Jun 13, 2016
Katy Prairie
Raffael and Thorgun Hazard scored a pair of hat tricks at a packed Borussia Park as Borussia Mönchengladbach advances to the Champion's League group stage with a 6-1 defeat of Swiss side BSC Young Boys. The 9-2 aggregate score, one of the most lop sided in Champion's League history, lands Die Fohlen in Group C against the likes of Man City & Barcelona.

Belgian Thorgun Hazard, opened the scoring in the 9th minute with a sweet side-footed goal past YB keeper Mvogo. Raffael got his first in the 33rd minute after a defensive mix up left the Brazilian free. Raffael made it 3-0 for the home side by turning an accurate Lars Stindl cross into the YB net in the 40th minute.

Hazard claimed his second goal in the 64th minute courtesy of a fine cross from Raffael. Hazard returned the favor in the 77th minute to give Raffael his third goal of the match. Hazard's hat trick was secured in the 84th minute, closing the scoring for the Foals.

Yorick Ravet scorched a shot past keeper Jan Sommer in the 79th minute for a face-saving goal for the Swiss side.

The win secures a Group Stage position for the second year in a row for Gladbach. The Foals will appear in Group C along with perennial Spanish powerhouse Barcelona, English side Manchester City and Scottish champs Glasgow Celtic.

Other qualifier matches saw Rostov thrash Ajax 4-1 (5-2); Manchester City complete its rout of Steaua 1-0 (6-0) in what may have been England keeper Joe Hart's last match for the Citians; Salzburg lost to Dinamo Zagreb in extra time 1-2 (2-3); and Cypriot side Apoel tied København 1-1, but lost on aggregate 1-2.

Champion's League group draws below:
UEFA Champions League - Draws – UEFA.com

I saw Borussia play at Manchester City in the late 70s. They had a great team with Allan Simonsen the big star.
I think City beat them 1-0 but Borussia hammered them in the return leg.

I saw Borussia play at Manchester City in the late 70s. They had a great team with Allan Simonsen the big star.
I think City beat them 1-0 but Borussia hammered them in the return leg.

Correct, Berti Vogts was their other big gun back in the day.

We had a TV program here in the States back in the '70's called "Soccer Made in Germany" that featured Bundesliga fixture highlights on a weekly basis. It was here that I was first exposed to football. Bayern and MönchenGladbach were the top teams, so they were featured regularly. Never really cared for Bayern, but always liked die Fohlen. For me, it is good to see them back in the top half of the table and competing for international hardware.

It took my ex-wife's best friend marrying a Welshman to introduce me to English/Scottish football. (he liked Leeds UTD, my ex and her friend were West Ham supporters, mostly because Iron Maiden bassist, Steve Harris, apparently tried out for the team)

Forum List

Back