Flying While Black

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Folk musician Vance Gilbert recounts trouble before flight from Names

A well-known member of the local folk scene, Gilbert maintains that after boarding a United Airlines flight on Aug. 14, he was pulled off the plane and questioned about his fanny pack (which he’d tucked into his backpack under the seat in front of him) and about a book he was reading on historic planes.

“I am a musician by trade and an amateur aviation historian, studying mostly European transport aircraft between WW1 and WW2, and some after. I was on my way to two different music festivals,” Gilbert explains in his blog post at vancegilbert.com. “When I travel I delve into reading about this era of aviation. I had taken out and was reading a book of Polish Aircraft circa 1946 and I was also looking at views of an Italian aircraft from 1921.”

According to Gilbert, who is African-American, as the plane prepared for take off, “2 Mass State Policemen, 1 or 2 TSA Agents, and the bursar for the flight come down the [aisle] and motion me to get off of the plane.”

Once on the breezeway, Gilbert claims the police officers asked if he’d had “a problem” with his bag and whether he was looking at a “book of airplanes.” Gilbert said he showed them what he was reading (he says they deemed it “Snoopy Red Baron stuff” and said they were sorry for the inconvenience) and was eventually allowed back on the plane.

Gilbert writes that he “silently wept” the whole flight to Washington, DC, and that he was left ”broken hearted and speechless.”

United is trying to make things right.

He was questioned by police? And then let go back onto his same flight? THOSE RACIST MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!! How can this poor soul continue on with his life? I hope the he gets 1 HUNDRED BILLION GAJILLION MILLION dollars from the airlines, an audience with the President, and the tsk tsk contempt from all liberals for this obvious right-wing attempt to throw all of the US back to slavery.

WHAT A TRAVESTY.

My week is now ruined.

Last edited:
Shit, he should have flown on the Soul Plane

soul-plane-w1280.jpg

he should grow a pair

silently wept? really?!?

loser

del, he was also left ”broken hearted and speechless'. Being a flightless Ratite and the worlds 2nd largest bird, I would expect you to extend some sympathy....you foul heartless fowl:eusa_hand:

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Democrats have a history of racism going back to Lincoln. Maybe it's the blue state of Massacusetts which has a problem with race relations.

Forum List

Back