Flu shots over-hyped, not as effective as touted.

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by zzzz, Oct 27, 2011.

1. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    I've only had 1 in the last 20 years and never had the flu. It appears that the effectiveness is not quite as high as advertised. Put that together with the strains that pop up and they are not in the shot and it is a wonder if they do anything at all. It does look like shooting a person up with a live virus is more effective than a dead virus. I wonder how sick that shot makes you.

World needs to update its flu vaccines: study | Reuters

2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Granny says get yer kids vaccinated fer pneumonia so's dey don't get sick an' die...
    :cool:
    Pneumonia Vaccines Could Save Millions
    November 12, 2011 - Health agencies are marking this year's World Pneumonia Day by touting the advancements made in the prevention and treatment of pneumonia, the biggest killer of children under age five.

3. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Granny sendin' Uncle Ferd to get his flu shot inna mornin'...
    :eusa_shifty:
    Morning flu jabs 'work better for men'
    21 December 2011 - Men fare better if they are vaccinated in the morning, say the researchers

4. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    I would think diet is more effective than time of day. For myself, I tend to drink a glass of OJ every morning during flu season. The natural vitamin C is very effective in keeping me from getting sick and when I do it tends to be mild and short duration.

5. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    The vaccine is not a "live virus". Only the nasal spray is.

Thanks for the read. 60% is still better than 0%. The researchers don't dispute the need for the vaccine, just that we need to tweak it to make it better. This kind of research is helpful.

World needs to update its flu vaccines: study | Reuters

[/QUOTE]

6. FurthurBB

FurthurBB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Anecdotal evidence is not the best thing to go by. I know people who have had flu shots and who haven't that don't get the flu. I just think that flu shots should be for people who are immunocompromised or otherwise in danger from serious injury or death from the flu and people who are around them, but I am overruled. There is a new flu shot that is in the second stage of clinical trials that targets a novel epitope on the surface of the virus that should, if successful, provide life-long protection after a series of three shots. I will get it for myself and my family if it is approved. Other than that I have never had a flu shot and only my oldest daughter ever has either. My girls get sick once every three years, and my son once every 5 years, I never saw the point. My son has actually never had the flu or at least never made any antibodies for any flu strain, it is possible that he was infected with the flu, but his innate immune system took care of it before his adaptive immune system become involved. He joined a study in Montreal a few years back. The funny thing is that of the 300 original participants who claimed they never had the flu or were recommended by their doctors, only 15 did not have any antibodies for influenza and most the rest had has many as the general population. So, thinking you have never had the flu is not the same as never having it. oh, I just wanted to edit to say that the participants also had to have never had a flu shot.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    I haven't had a flu shot in about 25 years or so, got the flu only twice.

8. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    First bird flu casualty of the season in China...
    :eek:
    Bird flu claims first casualty in China
    Jan 1, 2012: The Chinese government has confirmed a 39-year-old man's death in southern China due to bird flu, which is showing signs of resurfacing after an 18-month gap.

9. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,301
    So you're lucky.

Young children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems are at risk of dying from the flu. Vaccinations are not touted as a way to prevent people from contracting the illness, they are touted as a good way to lessen the severity.

H1N1 was an exception because it targeted adults in their prime, and the vaccination that had been developed for that year focused on a different virus, which sometimes happen. It's an educated guessing game. Usually the vaccine that is developed is quite effective, but that doesn't mean people won't still get flu, particularly a different strain than that they have been vaccinated against. And they may still get the flu they've been vaccinated for...but they won't get it so severely.

People who pooh-pooh the deadliness of influenza are living in a plastic bubble and don't have a clue about the disease or how it works, and they are living with a false sense of security. There are very few people who have never had the flu. I suspect you had it, and just didn't know it. You either thought you had a cold, or some other illness, and didn't correctly diagnose yourself.

It's fine to be blase about your own health, but nothing pisses me off faster than people who are blessed with good health who think that because they are they are in a position to advise other people about things like vaccinations. It's great that you've never had the flu. Kindly don't tell people that flu vaccines are unnecessary. Flu was responsible for wiping out huge numbers of people, in this country, not that long ago. Before vaccines.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,538
    Last winter they were saying on the radio that doctors here in the Charlotte area were reporting that half of the people showing up at their offices with the flu had already had the flu vaccine. It's a total scam. I've never had a flu shot in my life and I rarely ever get sick.