Flu shot? Never!

I got a flu shot once. My mother was breaking my balls about it so I got one. This is probably 40 some odd years ago when I was in my twenties.

The very next day, I came down with the flu.

Never again.

I get em now. The last time I had the flu I felt like...

Fred+SanfordBW.jpg

I had a flu shot in the Service and it made me sick. They should list the side effects of flu shots like they do for prescription drugs advertised on TV. Fatal episodes have occured. Personally I'd rather take my chances. Watch the feds hype up a non-existant epidemic and then claim to cure it. It happens every year.

if you dont take the flu shot...at least take the pneumonia shot.....it works

I do the flu shots every year and I did the pneumonia shot about 5 years ago. I love feeling protected.

How Many People Die From Flu Each Year? Depends How You Slice The Data : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

August, 2010

CDC It helps to know how many people would have died from flu in an average year if you want to put the swine flu pandemic in perspective.

For as long as I can remember now, we've been saying 36,000 people die each year from the flu. When we've asked the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for updated figures, they told us 36K was the best they had.

Didn't seem quite right that it never changed year after year.

Now it turns out the 36K was calculated way back in 1999, when flu deaths hit a peak.

A new analysis of the past 31 flu seasons, put out by the CDC this afternoon, shows that 36K might have been a third too high. It's more like 23,607 per year, on average. But it all depends on how you slice the data.

The new average is an average of the past 31 seasons. It goes all the way back to 1976. But if you were to look at just the past 10 seasons, the average per year is higher — 32,743.

I get em now. The last time I had the flu I felt like...

Fred+SanfordBW.jpg
lol. Good one.

I got a shot a little over a week ago, and had a 102F fever the same night, felt like what you described for a couple of days. That wasn't near as bad as the last time I got the flu. I had it 3 solid months, and it. was. ugly. yuk.

I'd rather have 2 days of symptoms than 3 months of much worse symptoms than that.

I heard this year's flu will be exceptionally bad, so my husband got one the same day as me. He had zero symptoms, and now we don't have to worry about him all winter long, at least, I hope not.

I'm 55 years old and I've never ever gotten a flu shot. I may never get one either. Everyone I know gets them so I'm pretty much protected.

I'm with you. I'm almost 59 and I've never had a flu shot. Never had the flu that I know of. I'm more afraid of the flu shots than the flu.

I also hate the scare tactics and all the pressure to get the shots. It's kind of creepy.

Just like the post right above mine....no offense... this year's flu is going to be really bad. I hear that over and over and over. The swine flu was going to kill us all. The bird flu, too. They're going to mutate and wipe us out.

The stress of thinking about it probably does more damage than the flu itself.

Our Safeway grocery stores are offering 10% off groceries if you get a flu shot there. I'm going to ask them tonight what their big interest in me getting a flu shot is. I mean, really. I want the fucking 10% off without the flu shot, or I'll start shopping at the new super Wal-Mart down the street sooner than planned. Just one more reason to shop somewhere else.

I got one back in college and came down deathly ill...my doctor said if I've had a bad reaction in the past, then don't worry about getting one. The same thing had happened to my Grandfather.

I get them, but only because I work in a Labor and Delivery unit at my local hospital and am more worried about a newborns lacking immune system than my own. Would hate to even THINK I could be a part of making one of them ill.

I have never had a flu shot a day in my life..and I'm 49.....and I don't plan on ever getting one.
Every person it seems, that I know, that does rush in and get the flu shot, ends up getting sick with some kind of crud.
I'll take my chances and not get poked :)

I had a flu shot in the Service and it made me sick. They should list the side effects of flu shots like they do for prescription drugs advertised on TV. Fatal episodes have occured. Personally I'd rather take my chances. Watch the feds hype up a non-existant epidemic and then claim to cure it. It happens every year.

And our chances are good. Watch all the people around you getting them. If you are surrounded by people protected against the flu, you are also protected. The only time you would be in trouble is if you get exposed to someone who wasn't protected and who contracted the flu.

I'm 55 years old and I've never ever gotten a flu shot. I may never get one either. Everyone I know gets them so I'm pretty much protected.

I'm with you. I'm almost 59 and I've never had a flu shot. Never had the flu that I know of. I'm more afraid of the flu shots than the flu.

I also hate the scare tactics and all the pressure to get the shots. It's kind of creepy.

Just like the post right above mine....no offense... this year's flu is going to be really bad. I hear that over and over and over. The swine flu was going to kill us all. The bird flu, too. They're going to mutate and wipe us out.

The stress of thinking about it probably does more damage than the flu itself.

Our Safeway grocery stores are offering 10% off groceries if you get a flu shot there. I'm going to ask them tonight what their big interest in me getting a flu shot is. I mean, really. I want the fucking 10% off without the flu shot, or I'll start shopping at the new super Wal-Mart down the street sooner than planned. Just one more reason to shop somewhere else.

Agreed. I have a very strong immune system because I was allowed to play in the dirt as a kid. I wouldn't be surprised if my immune system fights off the flu virus every day.

I get them, but only because I work in a Labor and Delivery unit at my local hospital and am more worried about a newborns lacking immune system than my own. Would hate to even THINK I could be a part of making one of them ill.

This is the first real good reason for getting the shot that I've heard of.

I work in the NICU, but I use gloves and the babies are in isolettes.

I work in the healthcare industry and it's recommended at my place of employment that all staff receive a flu shot. But, it's not mandatory. I've had one in the past, I think it's been several years now. In the years following I have opted out of receiving one. I sign my declination form and submit it to my manager.

Honestly, I haven't gotten the flu since I had my tonsils removed.

if you dont take the flu shot...at least take the pneumonia shot.....it works

I'm not familiar with a pneumonia shot.
It is an excellent idea to get the pneumonia shot. Once every five years, that's all one needs.

The strains of pneumonia are getting deadlier. Pneumonia mortality rates are rising rapidly.

And, the pneumonia vaccine tends to ward off bronchitis, too (that's usually the precursor condition of pneumonia, anyway).

But, talk to your physician, PA, LPN, or RN about it so that you are fully informed. I imagine they will tell you it is a great idea.

(If you smoke, especially. Smoking makes you more susceptible to bronchitis which often leads to pneumonia, too.)

And our chances are good. Watch all the people around you getting them. If you are surrounded by people protected against the flu, you are also protected. The only time you would be in trouble is if you get exposed to someone who wasn't protected and who contracted the flu.
leech

Forum List

Back