Flu Pandemic Statistics

Swine flu is no big deal.

Case closed.

And look at the thread view count!!!!

Damn I'm good.

And perty too....

This is not about statistics and it's obviously extremely rare and I'm not suggesting for one moment that it will happen widely (as if I'd know anyway). But I was intrigued. I'm posting it only for those who are interested to have a read, it's not point-scoring.

AUSTRALIAN medical experts have warned doctors worldwide to be on the alert for a rare but alarming complication of swine flu after a teenage boy suffered "muscle melting" so severe his urine turned almost black.

The unnamed 16-year-old suffered fever and other flu symptoms for three days before his urine went dark and intense pain meant he could no longer stand or move his arms and legs.

He was admitted to Melbourne's Monash Medical Centre, where tests showed he was suffering a condition called rhabdomyolysis -- a condition caused when muscles are damaged and dissolve, flooding the bloodstream with their by-products.

Shortly after admission one blood test for creatine kinase -- an enzyme produced when muscles break down -- returned a reading of 164,149 international units per litre (IU/L), more than 700 times above a normal reading of less than 230 IU/L.

He was given antiviral drugs, morphine and large amounts of fluids, but his creatine kinase levels continued to soar and after four days in hospital peaked at 1,127,000 IU/L, before gradually declining.

He recovered and was discharged after eight days, and a follow-up two weeks later showed no lasting muscle weakness or significant other ill-effects.

More at the link - Swine flu victim's muscles 'melted' | The Australian

well, most of the research i've been able to scare up shows that it may be widespread, but isn't particularly dangerous to otherwise healthy individuals.
Anybody know differently?

yes! It's dangerous to children! Read the thread and the other 20 threads on the topic!

If you wish to utilize the number of cases of kids who have died from swine flu as indication of its great danger to children, then you must also state that parents are at least twice as dangerous to children - based upon parental murder rates of kids in the U.S.

And then of course, cars are even far more dangerous to children - like off the chart dangerous when compared to pig flu.

Come back in a few weeks pard - let's see how bad the flu is progressing then...:eusa_whistle:
Now I understand your logic. Because parents sometimes kill their children we shouldn't worry about the swine flu killing children.

That is so brilliant.

yes! It's dangerous to children! Read the thread and the other 20 threads on the topic!

If you wish to utilize the number of cases of kids who have died from swine flu as indication of its great danger to children, then you must also state that parents are at least twice as dangerous to children - based upon parental murder rates of kids in the U.S.

And then of course, cars are even far more dangerous to children - like off the chart dangerous when compared to pig flu.

Come back in a few weeks pard - let's see how bad the flu is progressing then...:eusa_whistle:
Now I understand your logic. Because parents sometimes kill their children we shouldn't worry about the swine flu killing children.

That is so brilliant.

Numbers don't lie pard.

Far more kids die at the hands of mom n pops than will die from the swine flu.

And best keep those kids out of the car - those numbers are so much higher than swine flu as to reduce pig flu numbers to near miniscule amounts.

Sorry to rain on yer emotionally driven end of times parade, but it just ain't pannin' out for you...

Last edited:
That's right. Since men abuse children, we should not take the steps we know will prevent the deaths of other children.

Makes perfect sense to me.

What they don't say is that the overall deaths for swine flu have been minimal up to this point.

The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report has increased and has been higher than what is expected at this time of year for two weeks.

The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was above the epidemic threshold.

Almost all of the influenza viruses identified so far are 2009 H1N1 influenza A viruses. These viruses remain similar to the virus chosen for the 2009 H1N1 vaccine, and remain susceptible to the antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir with rare exception.

Regarding total impact to population - the swine flu is more mild than the regular flu.

Flu activity is now widespread in 46 states. Nationwide, visits to doctors for influenza-like-illness are increasing steeply and are now higher than what is seen at the peak of many regular flu seasons. In addition, flu-related hospitalizations and deaths continue to go up nation-wide and are above what is expected for this time of year.

All the above from:

CDC 2009 H1N1 Flu

To this point that is statistical fact.

Then provide some statistics. Not your erronious statistical analysis.
And while there has been an increase in death for younger people with swine flu vs regular flu - that increase of up to 100, out of millions upon millions of people, is actually statistically insignificant.

Get the vaccine, don't get the vaccine - in the end, this flu is running its own course and life will go on until we come to the next hyped disease. Maybe SARS will make a comeback? Or Avian Flu? Or Hunta virus? What ever happened to those Killer Bees?

Global Warming?

And the root of your psyche. This isn't a political issue. No one is suggesting this serotype of Flu A is going to wipe out the population. We are suggesting that this is a highly virulent strain of the flu, as is to be expected every 20 years or so, and people should take the proper precautions.

On our side, we have all the data.

On your side you have all the corkscrews.

LOL...

I just deleted my mom's number from my cell phone. That's because she called me in a panic after seeing a special on CNN about swine flu asking me what she should do. How about getting a clue, mom? Idiot.

You're all idiots. If you've spent more than a few minutes worrying about swine flu, you are an idiot. That's because it only takes a few minutes to look up the symptoms, mortality rate, and treatment to realize that it's no different from the common flu (which kills way more people and by extension is way more awesome), and going back to whatever it is you were doing, which was probably turning off CNN and canceling your cable subscription. In fact, worrying at all makes you an idiot. Why worry? Cowards worry and there is a 100% overlap between people who worry and people who regularly make cowardly decisions. That's why natural disasters kick so much ass. You never really know when they're going to hit, so you might as well let go and stop being such a scared pussy all the time. You'll cross the bridge of death when you get to it. Time to start taking risks, asshole! Quit your job. Quit answering your boss' calls during your time off. Go do something with your life. Jesus!

Edited for copy right laws. You really should read the rules about posting content on here, this is the second time in 24 hours the mods have had to edit you.

I hope I get swine flu.

LOL...

I just deleted my mom's number from my cell phone. That's because she called me in a panic after seeing a special on CNN about swine flu asking me what she should do. How about getting a clue, mom? Idiot.

You're all idiots. If you've spent more than a few minutes worrying about swine flu, you are an idiot. That's because it only takes a few minutes to look up the symptoms, mortality rate, and treatment to realize that it's no different from the common flu (which kills way more people and by extension is way more awesome), and going back to whatever it is you were doing, which was probably turning off CNN and canceling your cable subscription. In fact, worrying at all makes you an idiot. Why worry? Cowards worry and there is a 100% overlap between people who worry and people who regularly make cowardly decisions. That's why natural disasters kick so much ass. You never really know when they're going to hit, so you might as well let go and stop being such a scared pussy all the time. You'll cross the bridge of death when you get to it. Time to start taking risks, asshole! Quit your job. Quit answering your boss' calls during your time off. Go do something with your life. Jesus!

Which leads me to why swine flu is stupid. If I were to worry about anything—and I don't—swine flu would be pretty near the bottom of the list. Here's a list of things that are a higher priority of things to worry about:

Dying alone.
Not getting recognized for your genius.
Settling for a shitty job.
Getting married.
Just to be clear, not getting married isn't a problem, getting married is. Most people, due to fears of dying alone, will marry some jackass because they think nothing better will come along. They're usually right. But even if you find someone who isn't a total cock, marrying them will ruin everything because marriage is a false institution, and a waste of time and money. Cancel that big wedding party and buy a house, dipshits! Nobody wants to go to wedding parties. Besides, big gatherings lend themselves to communicable diseases. Holy shit that was a sweet transition. For those of you still not convinced that swine flu is bullshit, here's a list of symptoms for swine flu versus the regular flu:

See no difference? That's because there is no difference. Quit closing schools down every time someone gets swine flu, morons!

The problem isn't swine flu, but people talking about it (this article withstanding, because I'm the exception to every rule, that rule withstanding). Remember SARS? More bullshit. Fewer than 800 people died from it world wide. Yet the news networks prattled on about it for months. Now the slow news cycle lends itself to talking about swine flu ad nauseum even though there's already a vaccine for it. Oh, didn't know there was a vaccine? Yeah there has been a vaccine for it in the works almost since the beginning, rendering this non-issue even more irrelevant.

I will never take the swine flu vaccine because I already have it; it's called my immune system, and it's badass. I have never gotten sick in my life. My immune system is so strong that I have to get AIDS just to be normal. Your best defense against getting swine flu is to be me. Your second best defense is to have me cough in your face.

billy%20madison.jpg

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

So let's sum up this post:
[X] Insults own mother.
[X] Shamelessly self-promotes.
[X] Introduces multiple subjects that are completely off topic.
[X] Perpetuates alternate universe in which poster resides.
[X] Is dishonest with statements.
[X] Perpetuates Internet Tough-Guyism.

You are on a roll tonight, Frank. Home alone tonight with just your bottle and keyboard?

Last edited:
:lol: I'll take being concerned about the swine flu over being Sinatra any day of the week.

What makes people get that fucked in the head?

What kind of person deletes their own mother from their cell phone because they don't agree with them? :cuckoo:

WWSPD?

What kind of person deletes their own mother from their cell phone because they don't agree with them? :cuckoo:

WWSPD?

Hmmmm........ Sinatra, Elvis, Dooodeee....... Then there is Pubic. He would probably go over and try to take a few shots at her, providing that someone would provide him with her address:lol:

LOL...

Which leads me to why swine flu is stupid. If I were to worry about anything—and I don't—swine flu would be pretty near the bottom of the list. Here's a list of things that are a higher priority of things to worry about:

Dying alone.
Not getting recognized for your genius.
Settling for a shitty job.
Getting married.
Just to be clear, not getting married isn't a problem, getting married is. Most people, due to fears of dying alone, will marry some jackass because they think nothing better will come along. They're usually right. But even if you find someone who isn't a total cock, marrying them will ruin everything because marriage is a false institution, and a waste of time and money. Cancel that big wedding party and buy a house, dipshits! Nobody wants to go to wedding parties. Besides, big gatherings lend themselves to communicable diseases. Holy shit that was a sweet transition. For those of you still not convinced that swine flu is bullshit, here's a list of symptoms for swine flu versus the regular flu:

See no difference? That's because there is no difference. Quit closing schools down every time someone gets swine flu, morons!

The problem isn't swine flu, but people talking about it (this article withstanding, because I'm the exception to every rule, that rule withstanding). Remember SARS? More bullshit. Fewer than 800 people died from it world wide. Yet the news networks prattled on about it for months. Now the slow news cycle lends itself to talking about swine flu ad nauseum even though there's already a vaccine for it. Oh, didn't know there was a vaccine? Yeah there has been a vaccine for it in the works almost since the beginning, rendering this non-issue even more irrelevant.

I will never take the swine flu vaccine because I already have it; it's called my immune system, and it's badass. I have never gotten sick in my life. My immune system is so strong that I have to get AIDS just to be normal. Your best defense against getting swine flu is to be me. Your second best defense is to have me cough in your face.

billy%20madison.jpg

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

So let's sum up this post:
[X] Insults own mother.
[X] Shamelessly self-promotes.
[X] Introduces multiple subjects that are completely off topic.
[X] Perpetuates alternate universe in which poster resides.
[X] Is dishonest with statements.
[X] Perpetuates Internet Tough-Guyism.

You are on a roll tonight, Frank. Home alone tonight with just your bottle and keyboard?

xotoxi-albums-pictures-2-picture913-e-thug.jpg

Forum List

Back