Florida's Republican gov commits political suicide

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
''I don't think he's helped any national Republican ambitions he may have by stepping up to the plate and batting for the other team. . . . There's a difference between working in a bipartisan way for the common good and switching sides and putting on the other team's jersey,'' said veteran Republican consultant Alex Castellanos. ``At the one moment when we've finally found our voice and remember who we are as Republicans, Charlie Crist forgets. It's stunning.''

Crist's full-throated support evoked a rare rebuke from one of his closest political allies, Florida Sen. Mel Martinez, who said on the Senate floor that Crist doesn't get it.

''I don't know that my governor understands all the details in this package -- that there will be nothing here to help with Florida's housing economy,'' Martinez said, noting the package is light on stemming the tide of foreclosures.

Crist acknowledged that he hasn't seen all the details but said Florida needs federal help, period.

Still, he is way out of the Republican mainstream in supporting a $789 billion package that won just three Republican votes in the Senate and zero in the House. His inability to support the package drove moderate Republican Sen. Judd Gregg of New Hampshire to withdraw his nomination as President Barack Obama's commerce secretary Thursday.
GOP seethes over Charlie Crist's stimulus-plan support - South Florida - MiamiHerald.com

Translation: Don't put your state before party, Charlie.

one would hope that people like crist would be the voice of the repub party.

smart, fiscally conservative... rational. I don't agree with him on everything, but he's definitely someone you can have a dialogue with.

of course the wingnuts are going to whine. good for him.

Recent polls show Crist remains enormously popular in Florida, with roughly two-thirds of voters approving of his job performance. He is especially popular among crucial independent voters, and few doubt he'd easily win reelection.
It seems like the governors feel the heat from the people, but the GOP doesn't seem to give a shit about the people.

Doesn't look good for the GOP if they keeps ignoring the people

palin_and_gop_288875.jpg

Also, could this be a sign of "Republican governors for Obama 2012"?

Some interesting posts from bloggers on that site from the articles:

Dyce wrote on 02/13/2009 02:50:51 AM:
It's simple, without the Federal money for education and medical services Florida will have to raise taxes. That would ruin Gov Crist's political career.

twizt wrote on 02/13/2009 00:53:22 AM:
Republicans are such hypocrites! When Bush gave $350 BILLION to bail out the banks they were pushing hard to pass it! It's different when someone does it to help everyone! This just shows me that they are only about division!
This is actually bothering me too, why exactly is the bank bailout so much more important for republicans then the people bailout?

Last edited:
WHAT? The guy who endorsed McCain, the one guy who ran for President on the GOP ticket who didn't have a PRAYER of defeating either Democrat candidate... THAT GUY IS ENDORSING THE ECONOMIC SUICIDE OF TRILLION DOLLAR $PENDULOU$?

ROFL... who woulda thunk it?

That's twice in just the last YEAR that he's committed Political suicide... All he has left is to try and ram a State Income tax through the Florida Legislature... and he'll have himself a game ending political hat-trick...

Last edited:
This is actually bothering me too, why exactly is the bank bailout so much more important for republicans then the people bailout?
I've been wondering that myself. Remember when McCain suspended his campaign to fly back to DC to give money to the banks? Sadly, we know where the GOP's loyalty lies.

I've been wondering that myself. Remember when McCain suspended his campaign to fly back to DC to give money to the banks? Sadly, we know where the GOP's loyalty lies.

Yes we do.

The loyalty of the GOP leadership is to the people who bought them decades ago.

Yes we do.

The loyalty of the GOP leadership is to the people who bought them decades ago.

Of course the premise here is skewed to fit the left's (and their moderate comrades) playbook... They want to pretend FIRST: that there is something stimulative about any of it and SECOND that Conservatives are for either one.

Conservatives (Note the distinction from the implication of conservatives advanced through the use of the word "Republicans") were against what became TARP... WE pointed out the imbedded language which precluded oversight, establishing the SEC-treas, as an 'economic-czar' and THIRD: The $pendulou$ bill will not help 'the people', it will HURT 'the people' and we're equally against THAT.

Conservatives advocate HELPING the people by reminding them that EACH of those who comprise 'the people' are INDIVIDUALS who are free to rightfully pursue the fulfillment of their own lives and that by begging 'the GOVERNMENT' amplifies the means of the government to infringe upon or to usurp entirely, THEIR MEANS TO EXERCISE THEIR FREEDOM. We help 'the people' by belittling and berating and otherwise humiliating the ideological left who advocate for their enslavement.

Questions?

I keep waiting for one of the Liberals on this board to explain how Bush spending money we didn't have got us into this mess BUT Obama spending even more money we don't have will get us out? Perhaps you could explain it to me.

As for the bank bailout, the Federal Government had a vested interest in helping the banks as when they fail the Government then has to cover the insurance up to 100k for every person with money in that bank. It is a Federal promise and the Federal Government insures banks. A total bank failure would bring down the Government as well. No money to borrow, no Government.

It would have started at the local level and quickly snowballed to State level, following that the Federal Government would have collapsed.

THIS bill helps no one but the very people you liberals have been whining about for the last 8 years, well this time though it will be other rich people. It is a boondoogle loaded with pork for every democrat in the Federal Government.

I keep waiting for one of the Liberals on this board to explain how Bush spending money we didn't have got us into this mess BUT Obama spending even more money we don't have will get us out? Perhaps you could explain it to me.As for the bank bailout, the Federal Government had a vested interest in helping the banks as when they fail the Government then has to cover the insurance up to 100k for every person with money in that bank. It is a Federal promise and the Federal Government insures banks. A total bank failure would bring down the Government as well. No money to borrow, no Government.

It would have started at the local level and quickly snowballed to State level, following that the Federal Government would have collapsed.

THIS bill helps no one but the very people you liberals have been whining about for the last 8 years, well this time though it will be other rich people. It is a boondoogle loaded with pork for every democrat in the Federal Government.

Have you hooked up the popcorn machine?.. Never ask a question like that without a good supply of beer and popcorn..

I keep waiting for one of the Liberals on this board to explain how Bush spending money we didn't have got us into this mess BUT Obama spending even more money we don't have will get us out? Perhaps you could explain it to me.As for the bank bailout, the Federal Government had a vested interest in helping the banks as when they fail the Government then has to cover the insurance up to 100k for every person with money in that bank. It is a Federal promise and the Federal Government insures banks. A total bank failure would bring down the Government as well. No money to borrow, no Government.

Have you hooked up the popcorn machine?.. Never ask a question like that without a good supply of beer and popcorn..

No doubt... and I see your point has already been established WT... two hours later, and no liberals explaining it as yet.... *chirp chirp* ... *chirp chirp* ... :lol:

As much as I'd like to see the Republicans move away from much of the nutbar element in the party, I'm not sure if Crist is where I'd like to see them go. He's a populist first and foremost, and would have been a Democrat 20 years ago when Democrats ruled this state. He's in the Republican Party because they are the dominant party in Florida.

He may be popular but Floridians do not understand the enormous risk he is taking in this state by forcing insurance rates down. If a major metropolitan area gets hit with a cat 3 storm or higher, Florida could be bankrupt because so much of the risk is being born by the taxpayers.

I certainly hope you're right. Fiscal conservatives do not support this stimulus bill nor did they support the Bank bail-out bill. The GOP needs to return to its conservative roots. This guy sounds like just another neocon that America can do without.

I keep waiting for one of the Liberals on this board to explain how Bush spending money we didn't have got us into this mess BUT Obama spending even more money we don't have will get us out? Perhaps you could explain it to me.

The difference is this - during economic expansion, which occurred during the past several years of Bush's Presidency, the government ran a deficit. Governments should not run deficits in normal times. They should instead pay back the debt run up during recessions. The political party does not matter. You should not run deficits when times are good. But Bush did.

The government should run deficits when times are bad. Now times are bad, and the government should be running a deficit. Not only that, but the deficit should be large given the problems in the economy are massive.

That is not endorsement of the stimulus plan. There are a lot of questionable items in the bill. And when the economy improves, Obama should start paying back the debt. If he does not, he will deserve the same criticisms as Bush.

I certainly hope you're right. Fiscal conservatives do not support this stimulus bill nor did they support the Bank bail-out bill. The GOP needs to return to its conservative roots. This guy sounds like just another neocon that America can do without.
I think the GOP has lost it's way for good xsited1. I think it's time for conservatives to vote for another party. I did.

The difference is this - during economic expansion, which occurred during the past several years of Bush's Presidency, the government ran a deficit. Governments should not run deficits in normal times. They should instead pay back the debt run up during recessions. The political party does not matter. You should not run deficits when times are good. But Bush did.

The government should run deficits when times are bad. Now times are bad, and the government should be running a deficit. Not only that, but the deficit should be large given the problems in the economy are massive.

That is not endorsement of the stimulus plan. There are a lot of questionable items in the bill. And when the economy improves, Obama should start paying back the debt. If he does not, he will deserve the same criticisms as Bush.
I don't understand your logic behind the carry a debt when the economy is bad thingy, and I wonder how it is you know for sure the economy IS going to get better. There's a lot of economic experts out there right now saying this spending orgy is going to plunge us into a debt we'll never be able to repay, and NOTHING is going to be stimulated EXCEPT the debt. All we need to do is look to Japan for an example.

The Republican party is Dead. They committed Political suicide with their performance during the last Presidential Election.

Recent polls show Crist remains enormously popular in Florida, with roughly two-thirds of voters approving of his job performance. He is especially popular among crucial independent voters, and few doubt he'd easily win reelection.
It seems like the governors feel the heat from the people, but the GOP doesn't seem to give a shit about the people.

palin_and_gop_288875.jpg

Dyce wrote on 02/13/2009 02:50:51 AM:
It's simple, without the Federal money for education and medical services Florida will have to raise taxes. That would ruin Gov Crist's political career.

Republicans are such hypocrites! When Bush gave $350 BILLION to bail out the banks they were pushing hard to pass it! It's different when someone does it to help everyone! This just shows me that they are only about division!

If the banking system fails, we're all doomed. It's amazing how you don't get that.

As for the bank bailout, the Federal Government had a vested interest in helping the banks as when they fail the Government then has to cover the insurance up to 100k for every person with money in that bank. It is a Federal promise and the Federal Government insures banks. A total bank failure would bring down the Government as well. No money to borrow, no Government.

yeah.. no response means no reply.. not fear to answer but nice GOP tough guy spin...

Lets just say you just lost all your bankroll at the blackjack table.. you hit the ATM and get a cash advance.. for a little more than you just lost.. first hand back at the table you place a big bet and double down.. and you win.. ...now your ahead of where you started off the night.. not a perfect example but lets hope the stimulus packages of both W and BO help America out...

Yes this is a big gamble.. almost unregulated banking was a big gamble... America lost that one.. W took out a big loan to try and right the ship and were not sure if thats gonna work out so now BO is trying what he feels might work.. and yes it seems that this is an accurate ananlogy we are gambling on Americas economy now..

Last edited:

palin_and_gop_288875.jpg

If the banking system fails, we're all doomed. It's amazing how you don't get that.

Who says I don't get that? I already agreed to that (in other threads): if the banking system fails, then indeed we are all doomed but if the economy fails (depression) we are also all doomed. Their is more then 1 problem, if the banking system is saved then it doesn't mean that the whole economy will be saved. The whole economy is in crisis too (negative spiral: unemployment -> less spending -> unemployment ).

''I don't know that my governor understands all the details in this package -- that there will be nothing here to help with Florida's housing economy,'' Martinez said, noting the package is light on stemming the tide of foreclosures

:lol:

Yes, I'm sure a righwing, bush tax cut-loving republican senator was "worried" that Obama's bill wasn't populist and progressive enough to help working americans with mortgage foreclosures!

No one ever made that statement.

Forum List

Back