Florida Wants to Kill Kids

Yup. Thousands of innocent children will be slaughtered if this legislation.

What qualifies a doctor to give advice about gun safety??

Critics: New Gun Law Will Kill Kids - Yahoo! News

Ummmm...........probably their MEDICAL degrees, and the fact that because they see so many children in a month, not only do they understand their medical issues, but they also understand the psychology of a child BETTER (generally) than their parents do.

They are taking the wrong angle by criminalizing the doctor for communicating in their patients' best interest.

They should instead try to pass a law to prohibit insurance companies from ever using such knowledge against their members...

Similar legislation has been proposed in Virginia, West Virginia, Alabama and North Carolina.

Supporters of the Florida bill, including the National Rifle Association (NRA), say they want to stop doctors from invading their privacy, and are concerned the information may be used against them by insurance companies.

Pediatricians have some stark numbers to back up their concerns:

A gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill someone known to the family than it is to kill someone in self-defense, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). And many victims of accidental gun injuries and death are under age 25, research has shown. Further, states with the most guns at home have suicide rates double rates of states with the fewest guns, and those suicides are often children.

Pediatricians argue it's vital to ask about guns in the home so they can advise parents about risks and make sure the guns are stored properly, all in order to prevent injury and death in children.

"For pediatricians, prevention is the name of the game," St. Petery said.

"We're not out there to rid the state of guns," said St. Petery, who also owns a gun at home and raised three children. "We're out to be sure if parents have guns that they are aware," of how to safely store it, he said. More than one-third of American homes have at least one gun at home, but a 2007 study found 70 percent of guns are not stored safely.

If the law passes, parents could report doctors who inquire about gun ownership to the Florida State Medical Board. The board can then impose disciplinary action, which may go as far as taking away the doctor's license to practice medicine. As a compromise, doctors can ask about gun ownership if they think the child is in imminent danger. But pediatricians say this wording is subject to interpretation, and they object to being penalized for doing something they believe to be in the best interest of the child.

Ummmm...........probably their MEDICAL degrees, and the fact that because they see so many children in a month, not only do they understand their medical issues, but they also understand the psychology of a child BETTER (generally) than their parents do.

again.... “We can't just leave it up to the parents" M.O.

Stoopid parents :eusa_shhh:

Yeah........leaving it all to the parents is what makes everything better.........stuff like sexting, "smash or pass" as well as internet bullying.

No. Most parents today are too busy with their lives to pay attention to their kids.

Yeah........leaving it all to the parents is what makes everything better.........stuff like sexting, "smash or pass" as well as internet bullying.

No. Most parents today are too busy with their lives to pay attention to their kids.

I see your point. I start the petition to get Dr's to start councling on those too. :doubt:

What ever will we do??

It's not like parenting is not up to the parents...

Pediatricians need to be able to communicate openly about health and safety issues without fear of losing their license to practice. It's a backward way of approaching the fear of insurance companies. Too bad none of the the politicians have the cajones to do the right thing here and stand up to THEM and leave the doctors alone.

Supporters of the Florida bill, including the National Rifle Association (NRA), say they want to stop doctors from invading their privacy, and are concerned the information may be used against them by insurance companies.

I see your point. I start the petition to get Dr's to start councling on those too. :doubt:

What ever will we do??

Making it illegal to counsel parents on the possible ramifications of guns in the home isn't the smartest thing. I didn't say the parents didn't have to follow, I just said that the doctors know more about kids than most parents, and can tell them not only what is wrong with the child, but also other things to be aware of.

Refusing knowledge is just plain stupid.

I wonder if more people in this country are killed by doctors compared to guns?

Another "small government conservative" law that makes it a crime for a doctor to ask if there are guns at home...

Gotta love those "small government" conservatives...

Yeah. Preserving people's liberties and freedom from unwanted intrusion sure sounds like a conservative value to me.

I didnt realize that medical school included courses in firearms and their safe handling. Which medical school did you go to? Not for your medical degree, to get treated for gay bowel syndrome after getting grease gun enemas 30 days straight.
Doctors do not understand children better than their parents. You obviously don't have children. Of course I could have predicted that since you like the wrong hole.

Another "small government conservative" law that makes it a crime for a doctor to ask if there are guns at home...

Yeah. Preserving people's liberties and freedom from unwanted intrusion sure sounds like a conservative value to me.

And they are. These creeps complaining don't know, don't understand true liberty...the rule of LAW...nor do I think that they care.

I love how you guys complain about "liberal" doublespeak, and then try to claim that legally forbidding doctors from talking to their patients is "preserving liberty and freedom".

The doctor / patient relationship is not an intrusion by any means. People are not required to communicate themselves in a certain way, they share what they choose to share in that private relationship. The insurance companies are the ones who stand to intrude which is what prompted the legislation.

The doctor / patient relationship is not an intrusion by any means. People are not required to communicate themselves in a certain way, they share what they choose to share in that private relationship. The insurance companies are the ones who stand to intrude which is what prompted the legislation.

No. The legislation is specifically aimed at doctors inquiring about firearms in the patient's house. Which is none of his business unless the patient chooses to disclose it.

They are going out of their way to create a law that puts restraints on that private relationship between a patient and their doctor.

They are going out of their way to create a law that puts restraints on that private relationship between a patient and their doctor.

No it doesn't. It sets guidelines for what a doctor can ask. The patient can introduce the idea that he has guns any time he wants. No restriction there.
It is a privacy issue.

Forum List

Back