Florida town sees the future:

Politicallyinsane

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2019
Florida town sees the future:
“I don’t look out the windows anymore because I’m afraid I’ll see flooding,”

"Her only choice, she said, is to sell the home she’s lived in for 53 years, the one she had planned to die in."

"her town, Surfside, is pioneering what appears to be a first of its kind solution for residents in the decades to come — a fund for potential buyouts."

"“This is my life I am planning. You have got to tell me the truth,” she insisted."

"She said staff told her that even if she raised her sea wall 2 extra feet, she would only buy herself around seven years before the floodwaters started licking at her door."

“Our risk is undeniable. The modelers get it. The mortgage institutions get it. Insurance gets it.”

A South Florida town’s pioneering plan to fund retreat from sea rise

Anyone that doubts climate change should consider that this is reality and wake up from their doubts.

Ever heard of inadequate drainage, aging drainage, or coastline erosion?

Wow, just wait until the town convinces enough to sellout and then watch the condos arrive.

For the frightened little "Greta's" of the world, notice that nobody will die if this town (and others) is ultimately under sea level. If it is worthwhile, it will be protected by civil engineering measures; if not, it will sink into the sea. Some people will be inconvenienced. None will die or commit suicide.

And so it will be with Global Warming. Some people will be inconvenienced; there might be significant expense. Engineering solutions will be required. Nobody will die.

For the frightened little "Greta's" of the world, notice that nobody will die if this town (and others) is ultimately under sea level. If it is worthwhile, it will be protected by civil engineering measures; if not, it will sink into the sea. Some people will be inconvenienced. None will die or commit suicide.

And so it will be with Global Warming. Some people will be inconvenienced; there might be significant expense. Engineering solutions will be required. Nobody will die.
Capital will keep right on raping the ecosystem, relax.

Anyone who lives in Florida and whose head is not completely up his ass knows that climate change is affecting the state, especially the coastal areas. In my hometown paper alone today, there was a story about desperate ocean front homeowners trying to halt beach erosion. Anthropogenic climate change will have catastrophic effects in Florida. I find it amazing that Florida has so many deniers. But then again Florida has more than few people who revel in ignorance.

Don must not have when he needed that sea wall to protect his golf course.
you see, someone said it was due to agw he was doing it, rather than the truth, which, surprisingly, the nyt did do. To prevent damage from erosion.
Trump Resort in Ireland Gets Approval for Sea Walls - The New ...

Trump Resort in Ireland Gets Approval for Sea Walls
Dec 21, 2017Trump Resort in Ireland Gets Approval for Sea Walls. Grass bales intended to prevent erosion, in place last month at the Trump resort in Doonbeg, Ireland

you see, someone said it was due to agw he was doing it, rather than the truth, which, surprisingly, the nyt did do. To prevent damage from erosion.
Dec 21, 2017Trump Resort in Ireland Gets Approval for Sea Walls. Grass bales intended to prevent erosion, in place last month at the Trump resort in Doonbeg, Ireland
Semantics will save you from nothing related to objective reality.

You mean people smarter than you.

You mean people smarter than you.
The US military and the Pentagon know. Better for capital and the power structure if the unsubstantial people can be "managed".

Semantics will save you from nothing related to objective reality.
Semantics have nothing to do with it. The reality is battering waves from storms were eroding 3 holes on his course. The walls will help prevent the erosion they cause. ;)

A big so what. Sea levels on Earth are not static or will remain so to the convenience of human development. No human structure is safe from the destructive power of nature. The planets climate is always in flux and will not remain stable for our benefit.
Only a matter of time until the west coast cities of California are destroyed as the tectonic plate moves north. What should we do about that?
Nothing is permanent. Humans can move and adapt.
Just hope we don't take an asteroid hit or the super cauldron Yellowstone blows as that would deem human climate change irrelevant within minutes.
Nature is far more destructive than us puny humans.

I live in Florida although on the west coast but sooooo very many developments were built on swamp land, places that should never have had buildings on them. These stories have as much to do with bad development as rising water. I am not seeing it in the panhandle.

Forum List

Back