Florida teen broadcasts suicide via webcam....

being on the net normally does not help depression but worsens it...

think about it...if someone said on here..they were gonna off themselves...what do you think the reactions would be?

i dont think anyone dies for attention...i think they are very lost and have such a void in their lives they think it will always be there...

remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

being on the net normally does not help depression but worsens it...

think about it...if someone said on here..they were gonna off themselves...what do you think the reactions would be?

i dont think anyone dies for attention...i think they are very lost and have such a void in their lives they think it will always be there...

remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

I think there are a lot of people that attempt suicide that want to be talked out of it. It's a cry for help. Unfortunately, as you say, it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem and their cry for help isn't always heard in time.

Those who talk about it before doing it usually want help. however, there are those who do it without warning and there would've been no reaching them.

It's sad that there are so many young people who live their lives through the virtual world. no connections that are real and permanent.

But this kid had mental issues, he was diagnosed bi-polar and was on medication so you can't really blame the web for this situation.

online it seems people feel they can say things they wouldn't usually say because they think it doesn't count.

it counts. and what you say to people online can have a negative and/or positive influence on people.

It's sad that there are so many young people who live their lives through the virtual world. no connections that are real and permanent.

THis is true

I know someone who was addicted to that game called world of warcraft

the shit almost ruined his marriage, job and life.

I never udnerstood how someone can get so warped into these games

Its because the games are different now. It isn't like Pac-Man or even bigger games like Castle Wolfenstien or Doom...you can turn those games off...come back 1 hour or 10 days later and everything is just as you left it.

In World of Warcraft and other games like that, MMORGS, they're called. You are interacting with other real people in an absolutely ENORMOUS world. You can play in a huge desert, a huge rainforest, a huge city, a huge forest, a huge tundra, swamp...all in the same game.

You form groups and play different parts of the game with them. And...if you play long enough...you can become "important" in the game. Which means that if you STOP playing...you have "real" people you are inconveniencing. Real people depend on you to be there and to play....VERY dangerous for someone who doesn't feel that they are needed, depended on, or special in their real world lives.

I mean...think about it....as a 15 year old kid...or a 40 year old loser...which is better...to be you...or to be a powerful warrior...able to kill other people and monsters and lead your clan to victory?

I've had students who played that game until 5AM before coming to school. Parents just don't understand that these games are NOT like Super Mario Brothers...they really are like a parallel universe. You don't play these types of games...you kind of live in them. VERY addicting...and VERY dangerous to certain types of people.

100% spot on. These games have their own economy its crazy. I know people that actually spend real money for fake in game money

You know.....as someone who seriously contemplated it a time or two, as well as someone who was a suicide counselor for the military, I've figured this out about it for myself......

We live to say "no" to death. People will fight tooth and nail, yell, scream, and do everything else that they can so that they will continue to live.

However......sometimes the grind of what is going on in a person's life can cause them to not care and just fall silent. When you no longer are able to say "no" to death, then, people will generally commit suicide.

How do you help? Well.....listening closely to what someone says, and by helping them to re-build what they feel they've messed up or destroyed, you are helping them to regain their voice to say "no" to death.

I think everyone should listen to others and join with them, so that we can ALL shout "no" to death.

I understand how attractive the idea of suicide can be. I tried to kill myself when I was 15. I didn't necessarily want to die, I just wanted to stop hurting. I wanted to stop seeing my mother beaten. I wanted to stop being molested by my grandfather. I just wanted it all to stop. and death seemed like the best solution.

I thank God everyday that I failed in my attempt because while I remember the pain I felt back then it all seems so distant now that I've established my own identity and life outside of that world.

I wish kids could understand that no matter how bad it all seems now it gets better if they make choices for themselves which MAKE things get better.

I could've wallowed in self-pity and I could've made choices which kept me in a life of misery. But I choose a different path for myself and now I'm happy and the pain I felt then seems to have happened to someone else, almost.

it makes me sad that so many kids give up on life before they really have a chance to live it on their own terms.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
You know Silence, I had a friend of mine that taught me a very valuable quote, which kind of relates to your post.......

"The very things that beat me down, are what lifts me up today".

Basically, if I survive the situation, I know that I'm going to have the solution for one way to get out of it. If I then take that experience, and choose to keep the memory of it alive, whenever I meet someone else who is experiencing the same problem, I can share the solution that I've learned.

So......instead of having 1 ruined life because I chose to let all the things that happened to me drag me down, I am now endowed with the ability to help thousands of others, because I can give them the solution.

For me....there really are no bad times in my life. God gives me some really cool presents, it's just that sometimes they come in some really fucked up boxes.

And.....speaking as a vet of child abuse myself (was abused mentally, physically and sexually until I was 12), I know that I've got quite a few very valuable experiences, even if they were painful to go through. And today, those rough times are some of my most valuable assets.

Those who talk about it before doing it usually want help. however, there are those who do it without warning and there would've been no reaching them.

But this kid had mental issues, he was diagnosed bi-polar and was on medication so you can't really blame the web for this situation.

online it seems people feel they can say things they wouldn't usually say because they think it doesn't count.

it counts. and what you say to people online can have a negative and/or positive influence on people.

Well, I agree with that. Trust me, with me, what you see is what you get. The way I treat you online is the way I would treat you face to face.

Its because the games are different now. It isn't like Pac-Man or even bigger games like Castle Wolfenstien or Doom...you can turn those games off...come back 1 hour or 10 days later and everything is just as you left it.

In World of Warcraft and other games like that, MMORGS, they're called. You are interacting with other real people in an absolutely ENORMOUS world. You can play in a huge desert, a huge rainforest, a huge city, a huge forest, a huge tundra, swamp...all in the same game.

You form groups and play different parts of the game with them. And...if you play long enough...you can become "important" in the game. Which means that if you STOP playing...you have "real" people you are inconveniencing. Real people depend on you to be there and to play....VERY dangerous for someone who doesn't feel that they are needed, depended on, or special in their real world lives.

I mean...think about it....as a 15 year old kid...or a 40 year old loser...which is better...to be you...or to be a powerful warrior...able to kill other people and monsters and lead your clan to victory?

I've had students who played that game until 5AM before coming to school. Parents just don't understand that these games are NOT like Super Mario Brothers...they really are like a parallel universe. You don't play these types of games...you kind of live in them. VERY addicting...and VERY dangerous to certain types of people.

My son plays Dungeons and Dragons, but not online. They meet at his college, every Wed.

I would never buy online games like Warcraft. Once I pay for the game, I don't want to be putting out more money. That's nuts.

I did like the original Warcraft, which was a game in itself and didn't depend on networking with other people.

You know.....as someone who seriously contemplated it a time or two, as well as someone who was a suicide counselor for the military, I've figured this out about it for myself......

We live to say "no" to death. People will fight tooth and nail, yell, scream, and do everything else that they can so that they will continue to live.

However......sometimes the grind of what is going on in a person's life can cause them to not care and just fall silent. When you no longer are able to say "no" to death, then, people will generally commit suicide.

How do you help? Well.....listening closely to what someone says, and by helping them to re-build what they feel they've messed up or destroyed, you are helping them to regain their voice to say "no" to death.

I think everyone should listen to others and join with them, so that we can ALL shout "no" to death.
ABS, i may not always agree with you on political things(if ever ;)) but don't you EVER give up that fight for life

are you fucking kidding me? You clearly don't remember that kids were playing 8 bit nintendo until 5 in the fucking morning back in the late 80s and early 90s. Super Mario Brothers? Give me a break. ANY activity is what an individual makes it. You could make your whole life collecting rat assholes and thimbles and, without balance, it would be as detrimental as some misnomer "addiction" to games. Good grief.. do you think PACMAN high scores happen in ten fucking minutes?

I tellya.. it all went downhill when mortal kombat introduced gray blood on the console editions..

:cuckoo:

he was on a fucking BODYBUIILDING forum any damn way. You think no one who has ever posted on a sport forum or [choose any pasttime] has never tried to kill themselves? Yet, you people jump strait to the fucking Jack Thompson hoop it's fucking no wonder why the Pat Pullings and Rhona Jaffe's of the 80s was able to find a fucking crowd to listen.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back