Florida scraps felon list

T

TheOne

This is sad. People were mistakenly disenfranchised in 2000 if they used this list. I think they did. Well, at least it won't happen again in 2004.

Florida Felons in Voting Controversy

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

MIAMI — Florida election officials have scrapped a once-secret multimillion-dollar database containing nearly 48,000 potential voters, all supposed felons.

The state now says the list mistakenly included thousands of eligible voters and left out others, something Democrats have been saying since the last presidential election.

"The fact is Florida seems to have a very difficult time keeping their voter list in the right perspective," said Democratic strategist Bob Beckel (search).

Local officials had been ordered to purge the names of everyone on the felon voter list, who under Florida law cannot cast a ballot until their rights are restored — a fact Republicans are driving home.

"Felons should not vote. I don't care if you're a Republican or a Democrat, convicted felons lose their right to vote, and they shouldn't slip through the system and be able to vote," said Roger Stone (search), a Republican strategist.

Since the list has been killed, identifying felons becomes just one more task for local election officials. Both Democrats and Republicans admit the state's mistake has shaken voter confidence. The question of felon voters (search) has many wondering if Florida can turn out a controversy-free election.

article

insein said:
All i have to say is if There are convicted felons that get their vote to count, there had DAMN WELL BETTER BE ABSENTEE BALLOTS FROM SOLDIERS COUNTED IN THIS ELECTION!!!

:clap: :usa: :clap: :usa: :clap: :usa:

William Joyce said:
Restoring the right of felons to vote is a crucial civil rights issue. Free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

I assume you are writing this in jest, but I do have an honest question.

Does a convicted felon lose their right to vote for life, or only while serving their sentence?

William Joyce said:
Restoring the right of felons to vote is a crucial civil rights issue. Free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

I assume you are writing this in jest, but I do have an honest question.

Does a convicted felon lose their right to vote for life, or only while serving their sentence?

"Moving with speed characteristic of tin-horn dictators in banana republics, Scott and the Florida cabinet imposed a five-year wait period on restoring many rights to individuals convicted of nonviolent crimes, and a seven-year wait for those convicted of violent crimes. Additionally, those in the latter category must have a hearing before a clemency board that will determine if their civil and voting rights are to be restored. "Felons seeking restoration of civil rights demonstrate they desire and deserve clemency only after they show they're willing to abide by the law," Scott said."

.....But, they ARE preppin' for 2012!!!!!!!

There were accounts of Al Gore's little army of lawyers giving each other a "high-five" every time a bag of Military ballots from a ship was tossed away for a technicality without even being opened. The assumption (which was probably correct) was that Military ballots would not favor Gore. It boils down to two assumptions, #1 convicted felons most likely vote for democrats and #2 Military ballots usually support republicans.

Correct.

Specially since 99.9% - may be more - of those "convicted" were incarcerated for crimes against the State - the US vs Joe Blow; The State of Florida vs Joe Freeman, etc.

This is sad. People were mistakenly disenfranchised in 2000 if they used this list. I think they did. Well, at least it won't happen again in 2004.

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

MIAMI — Florida election officials have scrapped a once-secret multimillion-dollar database containing nearly 48,000 potential voters, all supposed felons.

The state now says the list mistakenly included thousands of eligible voters and left out others, something Democrats have been saying since the last presidential election.

"The fact is Florida seems to have a very difficult time keeping their voter list in the right perspective," said Democratic strategist Bob Beckel (search).

Local officials had been ordered to purge the names of everyone on the felon voter list, who under Florida law cannot cast a ballot until their rights are restored — a fact Republicans are driving home.

"Felons should not vote. I don't care if you're a Republican or a Democrat, convicted felons lose their right to vote, and they shouldn't slip through the system and be able to vote," said Roger Stone (search), a Republican strategist.

Since the list has been killed, identifying felons becomes just one more task for local election officials. Both Democrats and Republicans admit the state's mistake has shaken voter confidence. The question of felon voters (search) has many wondering if Florida can turn out a controversy-free election.

article

In what universe should felons not be allowed to vote?

There are a lot of people who made mistakes 10-20 years ago who haven't committed a crime since...

If someone committed a class 4 felony (lowest class) when they were 18 be forbidden to vote when they're 30 and are living a clean moral life??

I do agree if you're on parole you shouldn't be able to vote, but not 10-20 years later after you have completed your parole..

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

article

In what universe should felons not be allowed to vote?

There are a lot of people who made mistakes 10-20 years ago who haven't committed a crime since...

If someone committed a class 4 felony (lowest class) when they were 18 be forbidden to vote when they're 30 and are living a clean moral life??

I do agree if you're on parole you shouldn't be able to vote, but not 10-20 years later after you have completed your parole..

People who have been "convicted" of a crime against the state, ie, drugs, prostitution, felon in possession, income tax evasion, etc have not been convicted of a lawful crime and should be allowed to vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Topics

Forum List

Back