Florida No. 8. - What do you think?

Liberal

Libruhl! Libruhl!
Aug 21, 2012
Downtown Sarasota, FL
There will be a ballot vote to amend the Florida state constitution to allow churches to use public funding. It requires a 60% yes vote in order to pass, which may be unlikely.

More here.

However, I am curious as to why this seems to be a good idea.. Regardless of what you may think about church/religion, with churches already receiving a tax exemption why should they be allowed to receive funding directly from the government?

If conservatives/republicans are so upset about the number of handouts and the federal/state expenses incurred of supporting any group (religious or not) then why push to add another large group of individuals to the ranks?

Florida has no individual state income tax and many fiscal short comings, for instance I cannot get my road paved (hasn't been since the city was incorporated), not a single soul in my district wants to pay more taxes even though it shows to raise home values. But, they are showing support to add more expenses to the tax rolls?

I thought "handouts" were bad thing?

After their win last Saturday, the Gators should be ranked number 1.

There will be a ballot vote to amend the Florida state constitution to allow churches to use public funding. It requires a 60% yes vote in order to pass, which may be unlikely.

More here.

However, I am curious as to why this seems to be a good idea.. Regardless of what you may think about church/religion, with churches already receiving a tax exemption why should they be allowed to receive funding directly from the government?

If conservatives/republicans are so upset about the number of handouts and the federal/state expenses incurred of supporting any group (religious or not) then why push to add another large group of individuals to the ranks?

Florida has no individual state income tax and many fiscal short comings, for instance I cannot get my road paved (hasn't been since the city was incorporated), not a single soul in my district wants to pay more taxes even though it shows to raise home values. But, they are showing support to add more expenses to the tax rolls?

From your link;

"The proposed measure would prevent individuals from being barred from participating in public programs if they choose to use public funds at a religious provider."

In other words, the churches are not allowed access to the money, people get to spend their money there.

Thus crushing the straw man.

More here.

From your link;

"The proposed measure would prevent individuals from being barred from participating in public programs if they choose to use public funds at a religious provider."

In other words, the churches are not allowed access to the money, people get to spend their money there.

Nice try.

The amendment strikes out the following text from the FL state constitution:

"No revenue of the state or any political subdivision or agency thereof shall ever be taken from the public treasury directly or indirectly in aid of any church, sect, or religious denomination or in aid of any sectarian institution."

Explain to me how that does not remove the restrictions? :lol:

More here.

From your link;

Nice try.

"No revenue of the state or any political subdivision or agency thereof shall ever be taken from the public treasury directly or indirectly in aid of any church, sect, or religious denomination or in aid of any sectarian institution."

You implied the church was getting direct access to the money.

it is not

If it was, it would be utter bullshit, and should be shot down.

As it is, the state is telling people where they can and can't buy any supplies, That should be shot down.

More here.

From your link;

Nice try.

It will probably pass and be challenged as unconstitutional under the US constitution.

I wonder how many Muslim temples will get funded in the meantime.

From your link;

Nice try.

You implied the church was getting direct access to the money.

it is not

If it was, it would be utter bullshit, and should be shot down.

As it is, the state is telling people where they can and can't buy any supplies, That should be shot down.

I don't think you understand it fully...

Once again, the measure REMOVES the following:

It REMOVES it, and replaces it with NOTHING.. Therefore yes, it does apply to individual, however it also applies to the churches themselves via completely removing the restrictions across the board.

Florida is over rated, remeber the licking that Ok Univ gave them last year, he'll the Sooners would whip them again if they were on their schedual.

Forum List

Back