Florida Man has his guns seized because his name is the same as a criminal? Red Flag Fail.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
According to Townhall, which is not my first choice for news, the predictable outcome of Red Flag Laws has already become reality in Florida.

Florida Man Lost His 2A Rights, Thanks To Red Flag Laws And Mistaken Identity

A man has the same name as a criminal. Someone filed a Red Flag complaint against the Criminal, and the police checked, and found he had a Concealed Carry permit. That was revoked, and his guns were seized, despite it being obvious that he is not the individual the Red Flag complaint is against. Sometime in the next month, the innocent man will have to appear before a Judge, and walk him through the evidence showing that the innocent man is not the baddie they are searching for. Then after that expense, he’s going to have to go and get his guns back, and pay a transfer fee, with the background check, to get them back. If the Judge orders the weapons returned.

So what Civil Rights were denied this man? First, no criminal charges were filed, and thus he was denied his right to due process before losing property in violation of the 5th Amendment. 2nd, his Second Amendment rights were abridged without due process. Third, the expense of responding to the frivolous complaint is not handled as a criminal matter but a civil manner, and even in that he is not able to recoup his expenses as any victor in a lawsuit would be able to, because the complaint was never about him the person filing it is not liable, and of course the Police are never liable.

This is the predictable and expected result, and is one of the reasons that these laws should be found Unconstitutional, and tossed into the dustbin of history.

Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia

Denied of property without due process, is a constitutional violation. No exception for it should ever be contemplated. We have those limits on our Government because part of the reason we rebelled against England is because they did not have those limits on the Government.

Trump: 'Take the guns first, go through due process second'

President Trump on Wednesday voiced support for confiscating guns from certain individuals deemed to be dangerous, even if it violates due process rights.

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time,” Trump said at a meeting with lawmakers on school safety and gun violence.

“Take the guns first, go through due process second,” Trump said.

Trump was responding to comments from Vice President Pence that families and local law enforcement should have more tools to report potentially dangerous individuals with weapons.

“Allow due process so no one’s rights are trampled, but the ability to go to court, obtain an order and then collect not only the firearms but any weapons,” Pence said.

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court," Trump responded.
----------------------------------------
no sense in taking any chances.

President Trump on Wednesday voiced support for confiscating guns from certain individuals deemed to be dangerous, even if it violates due process rights.

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time,” Trump said at a meeting with lawmakers on school safety and gun violence.

Trump was responding to comments from Vice President Pence that families and local law enforcement should have more tools to report potentially dangerous individuals with weapons.

“Allow due process so no one’s rights are trampled, but the ability to go to court, obtain an order and then collect not only the firearms but any weapons,” Pence said.

I have never met a single person who I agreed with on every issue. So other than that, what is the point?

I have never met a single person who I agreed with on every issue. So other than that, what is the point?

I agree, better to be safe than sorry, so forget about due process when it comes to firearms.

I take it you do not agree with tramp?

According to Townhall, which is not my first choice for news, the predictable outcome of Red Flag Laws has already become reality in Florida.

A man has the same name as a criminal. Someone filed a Red Flag complaint against the Criminal, and the police checked, and found he had a Concealed Carry permit. That was revoked, and his guns were seized, despite it being obvious that he is not the individual the Red Flag complaint is against. Sometime in the next month, the innocent man will have to appear before a Judge, and walk him through the evidence showing that the innocent man is not the baddie they are searching for. Then after that expense, he’s going to have to go and get his guns back, and pay a transfer fee, with the background check, to get them back. If the Judge orders the weapons returned.

So what Civil Rights were denied this man? First, no criminal charges were filed, and thus he was denied his right to due process before losing property in violation of the 5th Amendment. 2nd, his Second Amendment rights were abridged without due process. Third, the expense of responding to the frivolous complaint is not handled as a criminal matter but a civil manner, and even in that he is not able to recoup his expenses as any victor in a lawsuit would be able to, because the complaint was never about him the person filing it is not liable, and of course the Police are never liable.

This is the predictable and expected result, and is one of the reasons that these laws should be found Unconstitutional, and tossed into the dustbin of history.

Denied of property without due process, is a constitutional violation. No exception for it should ever be contemplated. We have those limits on our Government because part of the reason we rebelled against England is because they did not have those limits on the Government.
There was already a thread on this yesterday. Serving the wrong "someone" with a common name has never happened before in this country. Ever. It must all be the fault of the Red Flag law!
Get. A. Grip.

I agree, better to be safe than sorry, so forget about due process when it comes to firearms.

I take it you do not agree with tramp?

As I made it abundantly clear, I think it is a Constitutional Violation. We can claim that we will only use it in extreme situations, but we don’t and won’t, and never will. We never have. Take the National Security Letters authorized by the PATRIOT ACT. We had to have those to allow the FBI to thwart a pending Terrorist Attack. Only they weren’t used for that. Well they were used in a total of four Terrorist investigations. But the other 25,000 were used for run of the mill crimes. An extreme solution to an extreme situation, became the routine answer to every situation. All of the extreme answers to extreme situations have resulted in the same routine use and abuses.

I posted a story about a SWAT team raiding a woman’s house over an unpaid Gas Bill. First, why would the cops raid a house over a Gas Bill? Second, why would they need a SWAT team? The answer is obvious. They had spent the money on the SWAT training, and equipment, and if you have it, you might as well use it.

Time and again we hear of the abuses, and that is where everyone, including you, should object. The Opioid Crisis. Less than 5% of people given prescription pain medication become addicted, or overdose. Yet we have to take extreme measures causing agony to more than 95% of the pain patients because extreme situations require extreme measures or something.

I will always side with the Constitution. Always. No matter who is on the other side, I will always draw my foundation as a Citizen from the Constitution. I believe it is my honorable duty.

There was already a thread on this yesterday. Serving the wrong "someone" with a common name has never happened before in this country. Ever. It must all be the fault of the Red Flag law!
Get. A. Grip.

Yes it has happened. But once it does, and is shown to say the local cops, that you are not the person in question, then the matter is usually dropped right then and there. Say you name is John Smith, and John Smith has a Warrant for his arrest. During a traffic stop, the warrant for John Smith comes up, and the cop checks against your license. You don’t look like the guy, your body size is significantly different, and you don’t have the tattoo’s that John Smith has. The cop will signal that he has the wrong guy and issue you the citation. Worst case, they take you in, and check your fingerprints, and then turn you lose with an apology. Once you show you are not the wanted individual, you’re free and clear. You don’t have to go to the Judge and prove it to him, and you don’t have to surrender your property indefinitely.

Big fucking difference.

So, if someone puts a 'Red Flag' on John Smith, everyone named John Smith should have their firearms confiscated?

Get. A. Grip.

Yes it has happened. But once it does, and is shown to say the local cops, that you are not the person in question, then the matter is usually dropped right then and there. Say you name is John Smith, and John Smith has a Warrant for his arrest. During a traffic stop, the warrant for John Smith comes up, and the cop checks against your license. You don’t look like the guy, your body size is significantly different, and you don’t have the tattoo’s that John Smith has. The cop will signal that he has the wrong guy and issue you the citation. Worst case, they take you in, and check your fingerprints, and then turn you lose with an apology. Once you show you are not the wanted individual, you’re free and clear. You don’t have to go to the Judge and prove it to him, and you don’t have to surrender your property indefinitely.

Big fucking difference.
Hopefully, this incident will prompt Florida to include a way to verify they are serving the right person.

I put a red flag on Pen-a-lope.
Which is precisely the type of action we'll see running amuck now. Just like the swatting fad that has gotten people killed. Now douche bags anywhere can cause legal and financial trouble to anyone they choose. With complete anonymity no less. How many Leftist pukes on this forum alone are just itching to cause this kind of trouble to other forum members? I'd wager quite a few...

Last edited:

The Federal government fucks up everything they touch... That is why no one should trust the deep state

I put a red flag on Pen-a-lope.

th

Bullshit, the State of Florida should have to pay for their screw up.

So, if someone puts a 'Red Flag' on John Smith, everyone named John Smith should have their firearms confiscated?

You know what that answer will be......anything that grabs a gun.....for them, it is a war of inches and yards...

Forum List

Back