Florida is nice but I miss my cat!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
And I miss my hubby too...

Down here in Florida for the next 3 weeks visiting my parents....the weather is nice, not too hot, nights have been relatively cool....

But there is toooooooooo many people and too much traffic, and too little land between homes.....for the most part, though my parents have their home in a community that has a one acre minimum per house and my parents have an acre and a half which is enough space to breath but MOST of the homes here are on small lots... If you sneeze, the next door neighbor is saying, God Bless you and you hear it type thing....

people are packed like sardines in a can imo and i wonder why builders don't use bigger lots?

in Marion County, where my mom and pop are....there are 650 homes in foreclosure...you can buy a 3 bedroom/2 bath/2 car garage for about 90k if you are willing to go that route....2 years ago, that home would have been no less than $160k....incredible how much the prices have fallen....their unemployment is around 11% here as well....

None of this hurts my parents since they are retired, don't plan to go anywhere, and they bought their home back in 1997 long before the boom so even if it all crashed around them, they still will be ahead of what they paid.... and neither of them work so the unemployement doesn't hurt them....

But one thing i noticed and my parents also brought up is carpetbaggers coming and knocking on the door and asking my parents if they can do any work for them, could they steam off the dirt or mildew on their roof or mow or rake their lawn or do my parents need any painting done.... PEOPLE ARE DESPERATE.....

Just thought i'd let you all know where I am at and what is going on around here....

things don't look good, for most people...very sad to see people in this kind of state...

Maine is suppose to get snow tomorrow i think, so i guess it is good i am here...

Care

You mentioned missing your cat first, your husband second! :lol:

I bet you miss them both equally! Is the hubby going to join you down there?

What's the weather like?

Down here in Florida for the next 3 weeks visiting my parents....the weather is nice, not too hot, nights have been relatively cool....

But there is toooooooooo many people and too much traffic, and too little land between homes.....for the most part, though my parents have their home in a community that has a one acre minimum per house and my parents have an acre and a half which is enough space to breath but MOST of the homes here are on small lots... If you sneeze, the next door neighbor is saying, God Bless you and you hear it type thing....

people are packed like sardines in a can imo and i wonder why builders don't use bigger lots?

in Marion County, where my mom and pop are....there are 650 homes in foreclosure...you can buy a 3 bedroom/2 bath/2 car garage for about 90k if you are willing to go that route....2 years ago, that home would have been no less than $160k....incredible how much the prices have fallen....their unemployment is around 11% here as well....

None of this hurts my parents since they are retired, don't plan to go anywhere, and they bought their home back in 1997 long before the boom so even if it all crashed around them, they still will be ahead of what they paid.... and neither of them work so the unemployement doesn't hurt them....

But one thing i noticed and my parents also brought up is carpetbaggers coming and knocking on the door and asking my parents if they can do any work for them, could they steam off the dirt or mildew on their roof or mow or rake their lawn or do my parents need any painting done.... PEOPLE ARE DESPERATE.....

Just thought i'd let you all know where I am at and what is going on around here....

things don't look good, for most people...very sad to see people in this kind of state...

Maine is suppose to get snow tomorrow i think, so i guess it is good i am here...

Care

Weird. Only 6 to 8 months ago, bush voters were posting threads with economic statistics and saying the economy was pretty darn good, and almost as good as the clinton economy....even though we've been in a recession since 2007.

I agree with you on the traffic and crowds. I don't miss that crap at all. I bet Maine is nice that way, totall rural and small towns and crap. Very cool.

Care

Hey Care! Thanks for the info! Enjoy your vacation! :D

Most people knocking on your door are not the people you want working for you, trust me.

I'm about an hour drive from there, surrounded by tree farms, hunt clubs and cypress swamps. My closest neighbor is a half mile away and all you can see from my yard is forest and ponds.
You can still find good deals on rural land around here if you search enough.

A few pics from our land.

pigs581.jpg

pigs501.jpg

DblVbuks23.jpg

BigBuck2.jpg

Pc190004.jpg

wedgie2.jpg

TurkHen.jpg

Forum List

Back