Florida GOP Abandoning McCain

Thank you, I rest my case. :)

I know what you're saying.

But, I'm saying that Romney would have been better, simply because Palin is an absolute disaster. A nincompoop.

Don't forget, Romney had to re-invent himself as a hard rightwing conservative to curry favor with the GOP. He jettisoned his "liberal" massachusetts republican roots, just so he could try to win a nomination.

Why do you think he jettisoned his moderate republican roots, to run as a hard right conservative?

well, he wanted the broad appeal to the far right AND the middle.

Everyone was figuring that they needed to add some rove and bush to the campaign mix, and they were wrong, imo. Analysts and moderate GOPers have been saying that the religious right has splintered the party for a couple years now, see the book 'it's my party too' or some such title,

--- the religious right convinced mccain to put palin on the ticket. It was a hail mary, meaning he became convinced that a moderate pick might not give him the boost he needed.... but that's way different than saying that a religious pick would. It was gamblier.

MOST religious righters are a disaster. Bush was a disaster and he was supposed to be a wunderkind of some sort, supposed to have every credential.

I don't think you can be a fundamentalist AND reasonable and scientific, and I think that the moderate GOPers are starting to see that, that the religious right is NOT the answer to a permanent republican majority.

In short, Palin was a disaster but any fundamentalist had a decent chance of being as disastrous. Ex: Huckabee talks about re-writing the constitution to be more biblically based. I can't see that going over.

Last edited:
well, he wanted the broad appeal to the far right AND the middle.

Everyone was figuring that they needed to add some rove and bush to the campaign mix, and they were wrong, imo. Analysts and moderate GOPers have been saying that the religious right has splintered the party for a couple years now, see the book 'it's my party too' or some such title,

--- the religious right convinced mccain to put palin on the ticket. MOST religious righters are a disaster. Bush was a disaster and he was supposed to be a wunderkind of some sort, supposed to have every credential.

I don't think you can be a fundamentalist AND reasonable and scientific, and I think that the moderate GOPers are starting to see that, that the religious right is NOT the answer to a permanent republican majority.

In short, Palin was a disaster but any fundamentalist had a decent chance of being as disastrous. Ex: Huckabee talks about re-writing the constitution to be more biblically based. I can't see that going over.

Well, I hope you're right that moderate GOPers can seize control of the party again.

I gotta be honest though, Caligirl. I listen to rightwing talk radio, I look at rightwing media, I look at Fox News, I look at republican message board posters, and I look at the GOP in congress.

And I don't see very many "moderates". A tiny handful at most. And forget about "liberal" republicans. There actually used to be people like that. They're extinct.

So when we speculate about moderate GOPers taking back their party, I just don't know who were talking about. They don't exist in any significant numbers.

Forum List

Back