Florida coach suspended for taking in homeless player

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
By all indications, a Florida high school football coach was just trying to do the right thing when he allowed a homeless player to live with him. Now that coach and his school are facing fines that could reach into the thousands of dollars -- and potential forfeiture of victories -- because of the player's housing arrangements.

While no one has openly questioned Buldini's motivation for taking in the player, the Osceola County School District said that its regulations call for the district to work with homeless and dispossessed students directly rather than rely on its employees.

In the meantime, the St. Cloud community has rallied behind the embattled coach, who is paid only a $3,850 annual stipend for serving as the Bulldogs head coach. The FHSAA has already made it clear Buldini may have to forfeit some of that stipend if he is found guilty of violating its rules.

Florida coach suspended for taking in homeless player - Prep Rally - Highschool - Yahoo! Sports

No good deed goes unpunished...:(

I understand why the district does not allow teachers to house students. I'm not sure I understand why a coach who has housed a player must forfeit wins...is there supposedly some unfair advantage in being in your coach's company so much?

Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail but chanel, you are a teacher, correct? Don't all the staff know they cannot take kids home with them?

There are rules.

And some of them are stupid.

Hopefully, everyone just gets warnings...especially seeing that no one was killed.

It's pretty clear why the rule exists. But in a case like this, the District is being stupid. If the homeless student could rely on the District for help, and if the coach thought the student could rely on the District for help, then that's what would have happened. Methinks the District needs to step up and help this kid like they're supposed to by their own rules, and the coach should be applauded for keeping a kid off the streets - and given a warning for breaking the rules, of course. ;)

It's pretty clear why the rule exists. But in a case like this, the District is being stupid. If the homeless student could rely on the District for help, and if the coach thought the student could rely on the District for help, then that's what would have happened. Methinks the District needs to step up and help this kid like they're supposed to by their own rules, and the coach should be applauded for keeping a kid off the streets - and given a warning for breaking the rules, of course. ;)

And I think the warning should be stern...with a pointing finger and maybe a little spittle.

But no fine and no loss of job or loss of wins.

And I think the warning should be stern...with a pointing finger and maybe a little spittle.

But no fine and no loss of job or loss of wins.

Definitely a pointing finger. Maybe even a raised voice. For shame! That should cover the bases nicely.

Is the kid a minor? If so, red flag no matter how pure the intentions.

Did he take in the entire family or just the kid?

By all indications, a Florida high school football coach was just trying to do the right thing when he allowed a homeless player to live with him. Now that coach and his school are facing fines that could reach into the thousands of dollars -- and potential forfeiture of victories -- because of the player's housing arrangements.

While no one has openly questioned Buldini's motivation for taking in the player, the Osceola County School District said that its regulations call for the district to work with homeless and dispossessed students directly rather than rely on its employees.

In the meantime, the St. Cloud community has rallied behind the embattled coach, who is paid only a $3,850 annual stipend for serving as the Bulldogs head coach. The FHSAA has already made it clear Buldini may have to forfeit some of that stipend if he is found guilty of violating its rules.

Florida coach suspended for taking in homeless player - Prep Rally - Highschool - Yahoo! Sports

No good deed goes unpunished...:(

Wasn't Jesse James' Ex-Wife just in a Movie about this?... :lol:

:)

peace...

Do you think he was fucking him in the ass?

She tends to Assume that about a lot of People...

Counseling would probably Assist her.

Associated Conditions can be Worsened if someone like her doesn't Sea Kelp.

True Story! :thup:

I LOVE Acting like Ravi!

peace...

This is an excellent question. Unless emancipated, no American minor is wandering around loose like free range chicken. They have a parent, a guardian or are a ward of the state. What the coach (apparently) did helped teach this kid to flaunt the law...not a great lesson.

What I think is immaterial. Heck, teachers are discouraged from friending their students on facebook. Inviting one to live with you seems quite a step beyond that.

ht_Christmas_Card_091222_ms.jpg

peace...

What I think is immaterial. Heck, teachers are discouraged from friending their students on facebook. Inviting one to live with you seems quite a step beyond that.

That is true...I understand why the rule is there.

But I don't consider this to be a Zero Tolerance rule on first offense.

We're talking about a football coach...not a Catholic priest or Michael Jackson.

She tends to Assume that about a lot of People...

Counseling would probably Assist her.

Associated Conditions can be Worsened if someone like her doesn't Sea Kelp.

True Story! :thup:

I LOVE Acting like Ravi!

peace...

I see this post as trolling. I thought your obsession was ConHog, mal? Please dun be so greedy.

Just sayin'......

We're talking about a football coach...not a Catholic priest or Michael Jackson.
Yep...you might be surprised to learn just how many teachers and coaches engage in inappropriate behavior with their students, though.

This is an excellent question. Unless emancipated, no American minor is wandering around loose like free range chicken. They have a parent, a guardian or are a ward of the state. What the coach (apparently) did helped teach this kid to flaunt the law...not a great lesson.

Not all minors are taken care of as you describe, unfortunately. We don't have an ideal world. There are runaways who have situations at home so bad they think the streets are better, there are kids whose folks kick them out, there are families on the street who would let their child move into this kind of arrangement to get a roof over his head and three squares even if the coach couldn't take in the whole family. Desperate people do desperate things.

That said, of course it's a concern and a huge potential liability issue for the District. Which is why the rule exists. But I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions about lawbreaking here. There are rules and then there are rules, without all the facts and with no indication of abuse I'm giving the coach the benefit of the doubt here.

Actually, the Rate of Molestation and Sexual Offenses on Public School Students is at about the same Rate as the Abuse in the Catholic Church...

The Public School System also Covers for Teachers, but not at the Systematic Level that the Church did, and that's where the REAL Controversy was/is.

That there are Perverts around Children isn't a Shock, it's how they are Dealt with that is.

Like how Women are given a Pass for doing what Most Men get Prison Time for.

peace...

Forum List

Back