Florida Bright Futures Scholarships

Bright Futures is a popular system in Florida. It's paid for through the lotto, and you have to reach a certain GPA to get it, and have to keep a certain GPA to keep it in school. It doesn't discriminate-if you earn it-you get it. Every student of public school (I don't think private-not sure?), has the chance to earn it.

Instead of cutting useless government spending-they're going after the kids who are actually working hard. Way to go! :clap2:

Are they switching it to need based because funds from the lotto are down, or what? The article didn't give a reason.

I know what Florida's situation is, but if it's anything like Georgia, program costs are probably growing a lot faster than lottery revenue (we have the added problem that the lottery funds are pledged to funding scholarships and to pre-K).

Okay thanks. That reason makes sense. Although imo, from someone who isn't effected by this, it wouldn't be terrible if they looked to control costs without sacrificing services and found a supplemental source of funding from somewhere else in the budget... it sounds like a worthwhile program.

For as much ribbing as I give Florida, I probably wouldn't mind visiting there for a couple weeks or whatever... but damn it seems like they have some strange politics going on.

Kinda weird to say a merit scholarship is a handout...
It’s the result of not reading – or comprehending – the OP.

No, THIS is the result of not reading or comprehending my post, Mensa Boy. OBVIOUSLY - to anyone who can read English and follow a conversation - I didn't say a merit scholarship was "a handout". CLEARLY, I said that a merit scholarship is "working hard for things" and switching over to a need-based scholarship INSTEAD of merit is "a handout".

See, you and Polk are Exhibit One and Two of why doing away with a merit-based education system is bad. What a pair of illiterate boobs. :eusa_hand:

lack of clarity is obvious when explaining lack of lack of clarity takes that much gymnastics.

suck it up.

Forum List

Back